BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-04-21 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4709289

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Qua17 - 2013-04-21 7:37 PM

Goals for the Week:

As you create your goals for this week - please come up with 1 all goal that will allow you to recharge your batteries or inspire you to continue... While many of us had weeks that rocked because we reached a personal mile stone, others had difficult weeks.  So, what could you do next week to keep yourself going.  Perhaps your additional goal could be to reach a certain milestone or maybe your goal should be to give back to support someone else or to sign up for an upcoming race.

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared 
  •  Get 3 jogs in for 8 miles total
  • Get 3 bikes in for 50 miles total
  • Support my fellow BTers
  • Get more people involved for our run/walk club
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex  
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  

2013-04-22 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4709313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
jlangene - 2013-04-21 10:06 PM
Qua17 - 2013-04-21 7:37 PM

Goals for the Week:

As you create your goals for this week - please come up with 1 all goal that will allow you to recharge your batteries or inspire you to continue... While many of us had weeks that rocked because we reached a personal mile stone, others had difficult weeks.  So, what could you do next week to keep yourself going.  Perhaps your additional goal could be to reach a certain milestone or maybe your goal should be to give back to support someone else or to sign up for an upcoming race.

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared 
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex 
  • Keep my ego in check and not do any leg workouts
  • Call doctor to set next apt for knee
  • Swim 3x
  • Find out about the weekly Yoga class at my new gym
  • Stretch, roll and repeat...a lot
  • Keep up logging foods and eating well
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  

2013-04-22 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4709487

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Goals for the Week:

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared 
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  5k race on 4/28/13 - shooting for a sub-24:00 finish
  • Keep up the short runs 
  • Remember to find time to bike / hit the trainer
Burd Alex 
  • Swim 3x
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  
2013-04-22 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Good Monday morning everyone!  Get out and get the week started right so the rest of the week falls into place for you.  Good luck on the race on Sunday Charles, let us know how it goes!  Alex, good luck with the Dr. appointment hope everything turns out well.  
2013-04-22 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well it is official, I am a trained community triathlon coach! Apparently they have low standards.Laughing

2013-04-22 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4709715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
thor67 - 2013-04-22 10:24 AM

Well it is official, I am a trained community triathlon coach! Apparently they have low standards.Laughing

Haha don't sell yourself short, you da man now!  Congrats.

2013-04-22 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4709263

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Qua17 - 2013-04-21 8:21 PM
Burd - 2013-04-21 8:56 AM

Well the day has come.  It finally happened...198.5 pounds from 252.  I finally broke the 200 mark and damn it feels great.  I still have a long way to go but it's happening.  

Training will be light for the next 3ish weeks so I can really give my leg a chance to heal right.  Gonna swim 4x a week and stay off the legs.  That should do the trick I think.  I will be seeing the doctor about the swelling 2nd week of May so I'll just swim until then to fix the IT issues as well.  No big deal I will just be that much better off by waiting.  My race isn't until July anyways.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Hot diggity-dog!  Welcome to One-derland!  I knew you would make it!  

Can I make a suggestion about the knee... I think that spending more time in the pool is a good plan - but I think it makes sense to be more proactive about resolving some of the issues that have led to trouble with your ITB.  While running or biking doesn't make any sense - continuing to stretch like it's your job and spending quality time with your foam roller to alleviate tightness in your ITB and the surrounding tendon/muscles will not only allieviate some of your discomfort but will set you up for success when you finally do get the green light from the doc.

My two suggestion about the foam roller - 1) avoid rolling near the knee - instead focus on rolling from the hip to mid-leg and 2) continue to increase the amount of time spent using it each day.

Agree with that advice and that is what got me to the start and finish line for the HIM.

You may also want to try doing the bridge exercise for the glutes. I think this puts less stain on your knees versus sqauats and is great for the gluetes. google glutes bridge exercise.

2013-04-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4709527

User image

Veteran
Dallas
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-22 7:23 AM Goals for the Week:

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared 
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  • Keep up the short runs 
Burd Alex 
  • Swim 3x
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby
  •  start Crossfit thursday night (something completely new for me)
  • get back on the bike
  • continue no grains, no sugar

Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  
2013-04-22 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4710098

User image

Connecticut
bobddsmd - 2013-04-22 1:47 PM

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared 
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  • Keep up the short runs 
Burd Alex 
  • Swim 3x
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby
  • get back on the bike

Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny
  • track food
  • restart week 1 of triathlon plan
  • rest before baby 
  • drink extra water
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  
2013-04-22 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

I made my own foam roller out of some PVC pipes and an old yoga mat I had around the house, thanks Google .  I was using a marathon stick and thought that would do the same.  Damn I was wrong.  This "proper" sized foam roller with my body weight hurts like he11 and like you all said it should. I just couldn't generate the force like I can with this due to the positioning of the marathon stick and trying to use arm strength to work it.  After as much as I could stand (30 seconds) it feels all loosey goosey.  I could pinpoint some real trouble areas.  

If I can take it is it OK to roll quite often to get it loose again?  I'm guessing after the first round and the result I should be all set in a week...correct?  (with stretching and exercise added in of course)  Do I need to be icing it as well?

I'm asking all these questions since Thor is now an official coach to get him ready for clients like myself with a million questions Tongue out

2013-04-22 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4710424

User image

Expert
Burd - 2013-04-22 3:28 PM

I made my own foam roller out of some PVC pipes and an old yoga mat I had around the house, thanks Google .  I was using a marathon stick and thought that would do the same.  Damn I was wrong.  This "proper" sized foam roller with my body weight hurts like he11 and like you all said it should. I just couldn't generate the force like I can with this due to the positioning of the marathon stick and trying to use arm strength to work it.  After as much as I could stand (30 seconds) it feels all loosey goosey.  I could pinpoint some real trouble areas.  

If I can take it is it OK to roll quite often to get it loose again?  I'm guessing after the first round and the result I should be all set in a week...correct?  (with stretching and exercise added in of course)  Do I need to be icing it as well?

I'm asking all these questions since Thor is now an official coach to get him ready for clients like myself with a million questions Tongue out

I'm all for putting Thor to work and I hope he weighs in...

How often? - I've heard from some people that you can't do it too much - but I disagree.  What you are doing when you use the roller is basically pulling the entire tendon.  Doing so, puts lots of tension at the point where the tendon attaches to the bone.  Repeatedly putting pressure on these points can lead to injury. Also, rolling puts a lot of pressure on nearby muscles, which causes micro tears.  Not good.  Start out slow and work up.  As always - I am a big fan of icing when you are done.  My suggestion is to get warmed up, stretch (to stretch the muscle so the roller does less "damage", then roll, then ice.

If you really want to help yourself - stretch more.

Here's a little light reading for you: http://www.running-physio.com/foamroller/

2013-04-22 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4710424

User image

Expert

making your own roller out of PVC and a yoga matt is both badass and genius!

2013-04-22 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4709715

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-04-22 9:24 AM

I'm gonna start calling you Richard Simmons.... Congrats!

2013-04-22 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4709271

User image

Expert

jlangene - 2013-04-21 8:25 PM Got a 5k in this evening with our running/walking group.  Only two of us jogging today and 4 walkers.  Did a pretty slow pace (12min/mile) was pretty worn out from the bike earlier in the day.  Now ready to have some dinner and lay down and find a book to read!  Have a good week everyone!  

Jared - Excellent way to begin the week!  I'm loving all the positive and support comments your posting.  Keep it up!

What book are you reading?

2013-04-22 8:01 PM

User image

Expert

Evening...

I've got good news and bad news.  Let's start with the bad - slept through my alarm this morning, so no yoga for meFrown.  The good news - I had my best and fasted ride of the season today - 10 miles @ 15 mph.  I really felt good.  

This weekend was fruitful for me.  I went up to Vermont to try some new beers and managed to try 22 new beverages.  Here are some of the places we went: Alchemist - outstanding, Lawsons Finest Liquids, incredible, Hills farmstead - over rated, Zero gravity - good but not great.  God I love beer!

2013-04-23 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4710735

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Qua17 - 2013-04-22 6:54 PM

jlangene - 2013-04-21 8:25 PM Got a 5k in this evening with our running/walking group.  Only two of us jogging today and 4 walkers.  Did a pretty slow pace (12min/mile) was pretty worn out from the bike earlier in the day.  Now ready to have some dinner and lay down and find a book to read!  Have a good week everyone!  

Jared - Excellent way to begin the week!  I'm loving all the positive and support comments your posting.  Keep it up!

I'm reading House Rules by Mike Lawson.  It is the third book in a series about an attorney that works for the Speaker of the House and takes care of his dirty work for him.  It is a pretty good series.  

Took a rest day yesterday, went to watch my son's baseball game, which got cancelled due to 50mph winds and dust.  Felt like we were living in the dust bowl.  Below is a cool picture a local photographer took.  Its amazing to me that the folks in the midwest are suffering from flooding and we are in the most severe drought in decades.  

2013-04-23 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4710728

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-04-22 6:49 PM

I'm all for putting Thor to work and I hope he weighs in...

How often? - I've heard from some people that you can't do it too much - but I disagree.  What you are doing when you use the roller is basically pulling the entire tendon.  Doing so, puts lots of tension at the point where the tendon attaches to the bone.  Repeatedly putting pressure on these points can lead to injury. Also, rolling puts a lot of pressure on nearby muscles, which causes micro tears.  Not good.  Start out slow and work up.  As always - I am a big fan of icing when you are done.  My suggestion is to get warmed up, stretch (to stretch the muscle so the roller does less "damage", then roll, then ice.

If you really want to help yourself - stretch more.

Here's a little light reading for you: http://www.running-physio.com/foamroller/

Iwould say you are the only one who can tell how much but it is probably best to start out slow and see how you feel...ice is always usually good.(especially for keeping beer cold in the summer while camping!)

2013-04-23 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4711080

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jlangene - 2013-04-23 5:44 AM
Qua17 - 2013-04-22 6:54 PM

I'm reading House Rules by Mike Lawson.  It is the third book in a series about an attorney that works for the Speaker of the House and takes care of his dirty work for him.  It is a pretty good series.  

Took a rest day yesterday, went to watch my son's baseball game, which got cancelled due to 50mph winds and dust.  Felt like we were living in the dust bowl.  Below is a cool picture a local photographer took.  Its amazing to me that the folks in the midwest are suffering from flooding and we are in the most severe drought in decades.  

Nice job with the group. I have to get my tri group going or they will fire me....

They are predicting snow for the weekend here...$@#%@!$ We still have patches of snow in our yard for crying out loud!

2013-04-23 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well rode the stationary bike again this morning for 40minutes...jeepers, it feels like sitting on a tractor seat!

May try do a run tomorrow morning. Sick and tired of being injured. Still waiting for appt. with neurologist! Will be 2wks as of tomorrow and not even a call to book...

2013-04-23 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4711201

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-04-23 8:05 AM

Well rode the stationary bike again this morning for 40minutes...jeepers, it feels like sitting on a tractor seat!

May try do a run tomorrow morning. Sick and tired of being injured. Still waiting for appt. with neurologist! Will be 2wks as of tomorrow and not even a call to book...

Sorry this injury and the canadian medical system is getting in the way of your training.  I am praying for not only a quick recovery - but a call to schedule the visit ASAFP.  

2013-04-23 8:44 AM

User image

Expert

My daughter has pink eye and I get to stay at home with her today.  The bonus of that was that I got to sleep in (until 5:45) before heading to the gym.  I got in a quick swim and then came home and ran 3.  I;ve got my first race coming up in 3 weeks and I'm a little behind.  Since I know I won't be able to catch up, I decided to focus on my oly at the end of June.

I need to get my a$$ in hear.  Last year, I was a machine and logged 3x the amount of exercise I will this month.  I really need to put together a couple really good weeks where my motivation is high and my aches and pains are low...

2013-04-23 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
This week's topic - Prerace preparation: What do you do during race week to ensure you step up to the starting line ready to go?
2013-04-23 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4711286

User image

Expert

Qua17 - 2013-04-23 8:48 AM This week's topic - Prerace preparation: What do you do during race week to ensure you step up to the starting line ready to go?

I do a couple if things:

1. Enjoy the taper - I try to cut way back on the time I workout while keeping the intensity up there.
  2. I start packing my gear bag on Tuesday or Wednesday to ensure that I have time to make a trip to the LBS or Dicks (the name of that place gives my sons the gigglesFoot in mouth)
  3. Clean and prep my bike (check tires, oil the chain and cassettes, wipe it down to make it look nice an pretty
  4. Hydration - Starting on Thursday - I really try to drink a little extra water with each meal
  5. I fall asleep each night visualizing what I'm going to do during each stage of the race.  I'm really detail oriented here -
  6. Practice transitions (in fact - the bricks that I do the few weeks before a race are when I try new things.  Race week, I just practice what I'm gonna do in the race
  7. I write my plan and goals for the race on the forum and get feedback.  This is essential.  Last year, Kevin got gave me a strategy for my Oly that paid off mightily...
  8. Charge my garmin
  9. Pack and double check - I do this with my kids... they read the list and I put the stuff in the bag.  They check it when they see me do it
  10. Dinner the night before - A lot of people discourage eating a lot of fiber and I think that's a good idea... but I still love my sweet potato and chicken the night before.  I also indulge in a little extra ice cream (Miranda Carfare does this - and I dream of being 1/2 as fast as her)
  11. Write my goals for the race on a Joker from a deck of cards - Heidi does this.  I'll write the time I want to finish each stage in and what I want my total time to be.  I keep these cards (which are laminated) on me sure the swim bike and run
  12. Put the bike on the rack and bag in the truck the night before
  13. Lay out my breakfast for the next day (I usually wake up at 4 to do this and then go back to sleep)
  14. Take a benedril to help me to get to sleep

What I'm gonna try for my next race - Bobby's sharpie idea

2013-04-23 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4710323

User image

Expert
lp3510 - 2013-04-22 2:43 PM
bobddsmd - 2013-04-22 1:47 PM

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared 
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  • Keep up the short runs 
Burd Alex 
  • Swim 3x
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby
  • get back on the bike

Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny
  • track food
  • restart week 1 of triathlon plan
  • rest before baby 
  • drink extra water
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  Lose 2 pounds (at this rate I'm not gonna be able to zip up my wetsuit)
  • 2 swim/bike/runs/ + brick on Sunday
  • Be more assertive with my chiro
  • Work on my goals for May and for rest of year
2013-04-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4711337

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Qua17 - 2013-04-23 9:09 AM

Qua17 - 2013-04-23 8:48 AM This week's topic - Prerace preparation: What do you do during race week to ensure you step up to the starting line ready to go?

I do a couple if things:

1. Enjoy the taper - I try to cut way back on the time I workout while keeping the intensity up there.
  2. I start packing my gear bag on Tuesday or Wednesday to ensure that I have time to make a trip to the LBS or Dicks (the name of that place gives my sons the gigglesFoot in mouth)
  3. Clean and prep my bike (check tires, oil the chain and cassettes, wipe it down to make it look nice an pretty
  4. Hydration - Starting on Thursday - I really try to drink a little extra water with each meal
  5. I fall asleep each night visualizing what I'm going to do during each stage of the race.  I'm really detail oriented here -
  6. Practice transitions (in fact - the bricks that I do the few weeks before a race are when I try new things.  Race week, I just practice what I'm gonna do in the race
  7. I write my plan and goals for the race on the forum and get feedback.  This is essential.  Last year, Kevin got gave me a strategy for my Oly that paid off mightily...
  8. Charge my garmin
  9. Pack and double check - I do this with my kids... they read the list and I put the stuff in the bag.  They check it when they see me do it
  10. Dinner the night before - A lot of people discourage eating a lot of fiber and I think that's a good idea... but I still love my sweet potato and chicken the night before.  I also indulge in a little extra ice cream (Miranda Carfare does this - and I dream of being 1/2 as fast as her)
  11. Write my goals for the race on a Joker from a deck of cards - Heidi does this.  I'll write the time I want to finish each stage in and what I want my total time to be.  I keep these cards (which are laminated) on me sure the swim bike and run
  12. Put the bike on the rack and bag in the truck the night before
  13. Lay out my breakfast for the next day (I usually wake up at 4 to do this and then go back to sleep)
  14. Take a benedril to help me to get to sleep

What I'm gonna try for my next race - Bobby's sharpie idea

Great list. Not much to add. Glad you are trying the sharpie. Remember to have your kids write on your chest. They love it! Not kidding about writing on your forearms and hands. On my left forearm, I wrote down my schedule for the am. Helped calm me down as I was only following my written plan. Also, looking at my hand with kids initials, BDAS and Pray/Enjoy helped me to enjoy the race!

Also, I took most of my food to the hotel to eat 24 hours prior. All in a cooler. Smoked salmon, yogurt, veggies, protein shakes. It was all stuff that I had before.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97