BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-04-23 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

Well, I didn't get any of my office work done but I did spend some serious time on my goal to plan out my year.  After much hemming and hawing - here are the races I signed up for

June - 5K to raise money for my son's rehab hospital
July - Olympic tri (which take place at the lake where I learned how to swim - how sweet is that)
 September - Pumkinman HIM - Wanna do this with me Lenny?  You know you want toLaughing
November - Half Marython

I might add an sprint or an olympic in there in August just to keep things exciting!

2013-04-24 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4712608

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-04-23 7:10 PM

Well, I didn't get any of my office work done but I did spend some serious time on my goal to plan out my year.  After much hemming and hawing - here are the races I signed up for

July - Olympic tri (which take place at the lake where I learned how to swim - how sweet is that)
 September - Pumkinman HIM - Wanna do this with me Lenny?  You know you want toLaughing
November - Half Marython

I might add an sprint or an olympic in there in August just to keep things exciting!

Come on, sign up for a sprint. They are a fun, balls to the walls race.

2013-04-24 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

How many of you use Trainer Road?  I'm really looking forward to their "8 Days in California" challenge, which starts in mid-May.  8 workouts in 8 days, designed to simulate working as a Domestiques on a race team.

Cool stuff, and a welcome departure from running around my house.

2013-04-24 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4713179

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-24 10:47 AM

How many of you use Trainer Road?  I'm really looking forward to their "8 Days in California" challenge, which starts in mid-May.  8 workouts in 8 days, designed to simulate working as a Domestiques on a race team.

I wish I used Trainer Road cause it looks like it would help a bunch.  Any tips on picking a trainer out?  I want one of the types that change resistance based on speed.  I don't know enough about them to know what type that is and what is the least I can get away with.

2013-04-24 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4712608

User image

Connecticut
Qua17 - 2013-04-23 9:10 PM

November - Half Marython

Doesn't sound too bad. Ill have to just register and then tell my wife. lol  If I did Id do the sprint ( gotta walk before you run).  Ill let you know if it will work.

2013-04-24 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4713570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Burd - 2013-04-24 11:50 AM

I wish I used Trainer Road cause it looks like it would help a bunch.  Any tips on picking a trainer out?  I want one of the types that change resistance based on speed.  I don't know enough about them to know what type that is and what is the least I can get away with.

Quietest is the fluid variety. you change resistance based on your gears. I have a second hand Cycleops...that being said...you live in Florida...Laughing Get outside on your bike!! I still have snow on the ground!

2013-04-24 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4713664

User image

Veteran
Illinois
thor67 - 2013-04-24 1:46 PM
Burd - 2013-04-24 11:50 AM

Quietest is the fluid variety. you change resistance based on your gears. I have a second hand Cycleops...that being said...you live in Florida...Laughing Get outside on your bike!! I still have snow on the ground!

I have a Cycleops Fluid 2, and I am very happy with it.  It's a bit noisy, but I haven't bothered to talk to Cycleops about it, and it still works fine.

Having played with the magnetic and wind trainers, I prefer the fluid, as it is more natural and closer to road feel, and you change resistance with the bike gears, not a lever on the trainer.

2013-04-24 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

I don't know a thing about trainers, so unfortunately I can't offer any advice.  However, I agree with Thor the best thing is to get outside.  And I was in one of the best places to get outside today at Sugarite Canyon State Park and rode up the canyon to Colorado!  I was up doing an inspection at the park today and decided I would bring my bike and try it.  A 500ft elevation climb (runkeeper said 1200ft climb, but difference between bottom and top elevation is only 500) in about 5 miles starting elevation about 7,000ft.  Let me tell you there is not much oxygen up there and going uphill was tough on this flatlander, but the ride downhill was AWESOME!!!  Hope everyone is having a great day and keeping up with their training!

2013-04-24 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
I have a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer and love it. No snow here but I use it during the week and save outside for the weekends. It helps decrease my time in traffic. More of a convience and safety issue for me.
2013-04-24 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4713026

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-04-24 8:31 AM
Qua17 - 2013-04-23 7:10 PM

November - Half Marython

Come on, sign up for a sprint. They are a fun, balls to the walls race.

I have a sprint in 2.5 weeks - May 11...Mother's Day - Balls to the wall (for doing a race on mothers day!

2013-04-24 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4713614

User image

Expert
lp3510 - 2013-04-24 1:11 PM
Qua17 - 2013-04-23 9:10 PM

November - Half Marython

Doesn't sound too bad. Ill have to just register and then tell my wife. lol  If I did Id do the sprint ( gotta walk before you run).  Ill let you know if it will work.

Did you read the part about the Thanksgiving dinner and the pumpkin pie.  Time to sweet talk the wife and get her up there!

2013-04-24 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4714093

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2013-04-24 7:28 PM

I don't know a thing about trainers, so unfortunately I can't offer any advice.  However, I agree with Thor the best thing is to get outside.  And I was in one of the best places to get outside today at Sugarite Canyon State Park and rode up the canyon to Colorado!  I was up doing an inspection at the park today and decided I would bring my bike and try it.  A 500ft elevation climb (runkeeper said 1200ft climb, but difference between bottom and top elevation is only 500) in about 5 miles starting elevation about 7,000ft.  Let me tell you there is not much oxygen up there and going uphill was tough on this flatlander, but the ride downhill was AWESOME!!!  Hope everyone is having a great day and keeping up with their training!

That looks like one hell of a ride!  I'm breathing hard just thinking about it!

2013-04-24 9:40 PM

User image

Expert

OK here's the bad news: Had a totally crappy day at work.  Came within a walk down the hallway of quitting...

Now the good news: It was 67 degrees here in bean town today and I made the most of it with a 12 mile ride. I took all that anger and just hammered it the entire way.  It was fricking awesome!  Best ride of the year so far and it put me in the best mood.  Not lying when I say - that Madone 3.1 is a gift from God!

As for the beer - I had 4 from Great Lakes Brewery.  It's a brewery in Cleveland but I would say it's in the top 50 breweries in America easy.  If you like malty beers (and I'm talking to you Kevin if you are keeping up with the forum) - you will love their brews.

Tomorrow - Run and swim in the morning (hip is sore so I plan on taking it easy) and then a beer tasting in the evening.  We are going to sample Belgian Goldens, dubbels, trippels, and quads.  I can almost feel the headache.

Prost

2013-04-24 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
So far (unless I missed some) we've had 2 postings on pre-race routines.  So, for those of you who have not chimed in - What do you do the week of the race to make sure you are ready to go on raceday?
2013-04-25 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4714186

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Qua17 - 2013-04-24 9:41 PM So far (unless I missed some) we've had 2 postings on pre-race routines.  So, for those of you who have not chimed in - What do you do the week of the race to make sure you are ready to go on raceday?

I've been thinking about it, since I have the fun 5k on Sunday.  It's only a 5k, so I am going to taper a bit by not running for 36 hours before hand.  I will probably swim on Saturday, do some pull buoy drills, and then probably run through P90x yoga in the afternoon.

Avoiding new foods is a no-brainer, so I'll probably grill some chicken and a simple vegetable.  

Looking ahead to the olympic races, I'll probably follow a similar pattern - taper down a bit, stay fresh, and avoid anything that might upset my stomach.  

My real concern is the two weeks between olympics - I will probably take a 2 or 3 days off, then get some really light stuff in between them.  The rest of the prep is just checklists to make sure I have everything, especially for my upcoming sprint, since it is near my family but 6 hours away, in a place that doesn't have a lot in terms of sports or bike shops.

2013-04-25 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Qua17 - 2013-04-24 10:41 PM So far (unless I missed some) we've had 2 postings on pre-race routines.  So, for those of you who have not chimed in - What do you do the week of the race to make sure you are ready to go on raceday?

Since I have no xp racing yet I'll do the thing I do best....ask a ton of questions to you that have done it before and pick out the cool parts Laughing

2013-04-25 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
WTF...the original pain the the pes anserine area seems to have flared up for no reason.  It's not painful when I tap it like it was before though.  Is it possible to have a mind block and imagine pain that's not there?  It seemed to happen after I had the compression sleeve on like the doctor told me to.  Odd since I have been doing the same thing for 3 months.  I give up with this damn thing already.  In any case I see him on the 6th again and if it's still swollen I'm asking him to drain it and give me a shot....I don't know what else to do.
2013-04-25 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4714184

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Qua17 - 2013-04-24 9:40 PM

OK here's the bad news: Had a totally crappy day at work.  Came within a walk down the hallway of quitting...

Now the good news: It was 67 degrees here in bean town today and I made the most of it with a 12 mile ride. I took all that anger and just hammered it the entire way.  It was fricking awesome!  Best ride of the year so far and it put me in the best mood.  Not lying when I say - that Madone 3.1 is a gift from God!

As for the beer - I had 4 from Great Lakes Brewery.  It's a brewery in Cleveland but I would say it's in the top 50 breweries in America easy.  If you like malty beers (and I'm talking to you Kevin if you are keeping up with the forum) - you will love their brews.

Tomorrow - Run and swim in the morning (hip is sore so I plan on taking it easy) and then a beer tasting in the evening.  We are going to sample Belgian Goldens, dubbels, trippels, and quads.  I can almost feel the headache.

Prost

Atta boy!

2013-04-25 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4714493

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Burd - 2013-04-25 8:47 AM WTF...the original pain the the pes anserine area seems to have flared up for no reason.  It's not painful when I tap it like it was before though.  Is it possible to have a mind block and imagine pain that's not there?  It seemed to happen after I had the compression sleeve on like the doctor told me to.  Odd since I have been doing the same thing for 3 months.  I give up with this damn thing already.  In any case I see him on the 6th again and if it's still swollen I'm asking him to drain it and give me a shot....I don't know what else to do.

I visualize the entire race starting the night before to the end, the good the bad and the ugly of a race and how I will handle whatever may come up.  I lay flat in my bed and picture everything from how I eat my dinner to crossing the finish line.  I guess it would be meditation.  I relax my body from my toes to my brow and get my mind prepared for what may come. 

2013-04-25 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Qua17 - 2013-04-24 8:41 PM So far (unless I missed some) we've had 2 postings on pre-race routines.  So, for those of you who have not chimed in - What do you do the week of the race to make sure you are ready to go on raceday?

Well if it is my "A" race I taper my training, if not I train as per usual.

Try stay well hydrated.

Try eat cleaner.

Start preparing my race box. Clear rubbermaid container with everything I need for race day.

Do a bike check before I leave and when I get there, go for a ride just to double check.

Night before double check everything. Eat a healthy meal with a couple of fave beers(carb loadingLaughing)

Mentally prepare for race...going through race in my head.

Make sure there are cold beers in fridge for after race.

Get up early and have breakfast(no greasy bacon/sausage etc)

Get to race site early to get preferred spot for bike. I try to get the end of a row, closest to bike exit...less time running in bike shoes.

2013-04-25 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4714093

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jlangene - 2013-04-24 6:28 PM

that is a thing of beauty! Would love to have a ride like that nearby!

2013-04-25 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

A couple of other notes about race planning:

For my sprint, I plan to ride the course the day before, at a leisurely pace.  

For my olympic in Wisconsin, I plan to train on the course, since my wife's family has a vacation home nearby (marrying up in the world is a good thing); that part of Wisconsin is very hilly, so I need to work on my hill-climbing.  I'm hoping to get up there every other weekend during the summer, but that might be a bit much.

2013-04-26 4:37 AM

User image

Expert

Morning Everyone!  I hope you are all ready for a nice relaxing weekend.  I'm headed to Western Mass. for a boy scout trip with my sons.  Nothing like carrying a 35 pound pack in order to burn some calories.

Last night - Had a beer tasting with a bunch of friends.  It was Belgian Beer Night and we tried goldens, doubbels, tripels, quads, Gueuze, and a few other styles.  The winners were (Nebraska Hop God Belgian Style IPA, Geuze Tilquin, and Bronze Age Saison by Stillwater Artisan Beer co.  I have to admit that I've got a bit of a headache this morning.

Enjoy the weekend!

2013-04-26 4:41 AM
in reply to: #4714493

User image

Expert

Burd - 2013-04-25 8:47 AM WTF...the original pain the the pes anserine area seems to have flared up for no reason.  It's not painful when I tap it like it was before though.  Is it possible to have a mind block and imagine pain that's not there?  It seemed to happen after I had the compression sleeve on like the doctor told me to.  Odd since I have been doing the same thing for 3 months.  I give up with this damn thing already.  In any case I see him on the 6th again and if it's still swollen I'm asking him to drain it and give me a shot....I don't know what else to do.

Alex - that's gotta be so frustrating and I hope it clears up soon!  But I commend you on your desire to keep going despite the challenges the bum knee has created for you. Just think how far you have come by friend.

2013-04-26 5:05 AM

User image

Expert

Alex and anyone else using the LoseIt app to track their food and exercise - I hopped on the scale and dropped a little more weight.  In order to keep going and motivate myself, I'd like to make it my goal to earn some Lose It badges.  I was thinking on trying to earn the Yoga Badge by doing Yoga 12 times in May.  Who wants to do it with me?  

Alex - give some thought to this.  I could be wrong but I bet you would really benefit from some additional stretching.  You could create a class on the Yoga Studio app that would involve stretches that wouldn't hurt your knee.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97