BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-01-25 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4595150

User image

Regular
NW Houston
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training
GaryRM - 2013-01-25 6:53 PM

sspicer - 2013-01-25 7:06 AM Just finished my last run for the week.  I was wondering something.  While doing the actual run, I barely make my time goal and the run itself, is tough for me.  However, my recovery is ridiculously fast.  Does that mean that I'm really not pushing myself during the run?  I've found that when I swim and bike, I also have a fast recovery.

Can you define "recover fast"?  Is that HR based?  If so, I would say that your cardio system is in better shape than your running legs.  I would like to hear what Mike says on this one.

Also when you say time goal is that "I am going to run for 30 mins" and you have trouble making that or is it "I need to run 3 miles in 28 mins" and you have trouble making the 28 mins?  Either way if your runs are always rough you need to slow your pace.  I go by "distance first, then speed" so you should be able to cover a set distance comfortably then worry about speed.  Mike?

I think you confirmed what I suspected.  Yes, when I say "recover" fast, my heart rate drops quickly as does regaining my breath so I suspect my cardio is better than the running legs.  And yes, the runs are rough b/c I am following the BT training program and it has me running a certain distance in a certain time.  I am very close to hitting those "goals" but...

2013-01-25 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4595150

User image

Master
St. Louis

sspicer - 2013-01-25 7:06 AM Just finished my last run for the week.  I was wondering something.  While doing the actual run, I barely make my time goal and the run itself, is tough for me.  However, my recovery is ridiculously fast.  Does that mean that I'm really not pushing myself during the run?  I've found that when I swim and bike, I also have a fast recovery.

Can you define "recover fast"?  Is that HR based?  If so, I would say that your cardio system is in better shape than your running legs.  I would like to hear what Mike says on this one.

Also when you say time goal is that "I am going to run for 30 mins" and you have trouble making that or is it "I need to run 3 miles in 28 mins" and you have trouble making the 28 mins?  Either way if your runs are always rough you need to slow your pace.  I go by "distance first, then speed" so you should be able to cover a set distance comfortably then worry about speed.  Mike?

I like to go by distance and effort at first and not worry too much about speed.

I also agree with Gary that it sounds like your cardio is ahead of your legs. I found a funny thing while upping my running distance when I got into endurance sports a few years ago. There is always a limiter and when building for the first time, it alternates between leg strength and cardio. Some weeks your legs fatigue way before you can't take in enough air, other weeks it's the opposite. Once you build a sufficient base, there are additional limiters that come into the equation. For me they are rest, nutrition, and mental toughness.
2013-01-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4595228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

ransick - 2013-01-25 9:44 PM

I also agree with Gary that it sounds like your cardio is ahead of your legs. I found a funny thing while upping my running distance when I got into endurance sports a few years ago. There is always a limiter and when building for the first time, it alternates between leg strength and cardio. Some weeks your legs fatigue way before you can't take in enough air, other weeks it's the opposite.

Mike, this is a very interesting comment.  I'd never thought of 'strength' in these terms, but the concept of cardio strength and/or muscle strength makes perfect sense.  I've had occasions wherein the legs or lungs gave out and I was truly puzzled.  At some point though shouldn't the two balance out?  When we start to ratchet up pace, time or distance - would the weaker of the two rear it's ugly head?

2013-01-26 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4595480

User image

Master
St. Louis
Dorm57 - 2013-01-26 8:25 AM

I also agree with Gary that it sounds like your cardio is ahead of your legs. I found a funny thing while upping my running distance when I got into endurance sports a few years ago. There is always a limiter and when building for the first time, it alternates between leg strength and cardio. Some weeks your legs fatigue way before you can't take in enough air, other weeks it's the opposite.

Mike, this is a very interesting comment.  I'd never thought of 'strength' in these terms, but the concept of cardio strength and/or muscle strength makes perfect sense.  I've had occasions wherein the legs or lungs gave out and I was truly puzzled.  At some point though shouldn't the two balance out?  When we start to ratchet up pace, time or distance - would the weaker of the two rear it's ugly head?

I think the two only balance out if you can run at the ideal pace for the ideal distance which is impossible. Run faster and shorter, you are cardio limited. Run long and slow, you are leg strength limited. I've been doing a lot of trail running the last three months and feel leg strength limited every time on runs over an hour. In November I joined a friend who was trail running for twelve hours and I ran 18 miles in four hours and cardio wise, felt like I could go on forever, but my legs told me it was time to quit or risk injury.

Edited by ransick 2013-01-26 8:48 AM
2013-01-26 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4595502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
ransick - 2013-01-26 9:47 AM

I think the two only balance out if you can run at the ideal pace for the ideal distance which is impossible. Run faster and shorter, you are cardio limited. Run long and slow, you are leg strength limited. I've been doing a lot of trail running the last three months and feel leg strength limited every time on runs over an hour. In November I joined a friend who was trail running for twelve hours and I ran 18 miles in four hours and cardio wise, felt like I could go on forever, but my legs told me it was time to quit or risk injury.

I'm thinking in terms of cycling ... I've had it both ways with either the legs giving out or cardio wise, just no gas whatsoever.  I've focused a lot this past month on base building ... 2 to 1 time spent at the aerobic level vs. anaerobic level.  I'll just have to see how this turns out come race time this spring.

2013-01-26 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4595954

User image

Master
St. Louis
Dorm57 - 2013-01-26 6:01 PM

ransick - 2013-01-26 9:47 AM

I'm thinking in terms of cycling ... I've had it both ways with either the legs giving out or cardio wise, just no gas whatsoever.  I've focused a lot this past month on base building ... 2 to 1 time spent at the aerobic level vs. anaerobic level.  I'll just have to see how this turns out come race time this spring.

You can go to a much higher ratio, like 8 to 1 and see huge gains withmuch less risk of injury. I had a five minute PR in my last half marathon and did most of my training, probably 90% in zone 2.

ETA: I think intervals and anarobic sets are more important in cycling.

Edited by ransick 2013-01-26 7:23 PM

2013-01-29 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi all ... got in a nice brick session at the gym last night ... 35m on the spin cycle followed by ~2 miles on the treadmill.    The weather has been crappy here over the past 2 weeks, so for the most part I've been tethered to the inside for training.  Finally picked up the roadie from the LBS and hope to test out the rollers soon
2013-01-29 8:10 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

The weather here has been quite beautiful but lack of time has hindered getting rides outside.  I am getting in workouts but except for my runs time I haven't been getting the distance I would like.  In the meantime I have been pushing the pace for the shorter workouts.  Hopefully Saturday is a long ride on the bike. 

2013-01-30 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta

Great conversation on running programs and theories, thanks for sharing. Anybody ever look at McMillan calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/). I used this to try to figure out what pace I should be running for my workouts and it has really helped me not to push and over do. I won't know for sure how it worked until the races begin, but I have much less soreness than before.

Been struggling with motivation up North here in Michigan. Below zero last week with snow followed by 55 degrees and 4" of rain this week, and now expecting high of 15 on Thursday with another 6"-8" of fresh snow. Have been getting in about 2 trainer rides a week, 2 runs, and 1 swim. Also refereeing Basketball and mixing in a little yoga and pilates with the wife so while not meeting my scheduled work outs I have been able to stay active.

Thought for the week: "If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything, is ready, we shall never ." - Ivan Turgenev

2013-01-30 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Well winter made it's comback today.  Cold, windy and snow flurries.  Iknew the 60* weather couldn't last but it sure was nice while it was hereSmile.

Question: Has anyone here done any of the fundraising type bike rides?  I'm thinking about doing the Tour de Cure here in June.  They have 10mi, 30mi, 50mi, and century routes - considering the 30mi.  I have a tri 2 weeks before (12mi bike) so I'll be doing bike training anyway.  I thought maybe I could just expand a little on the training rides for the tri to get me ready for the Tour de Cure.  And it's not a race anyway so as long as I could make the distance, speed wouldn't be an issue.  Just wondered if anyone had any experience with those kinds of rides.

Janet

2013-01-30 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4601749

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

soccermom15 - 2013-01-30 3:45 PM

Question: Has anyone here done any of the fundraising type bike rides?  I'm thinking about doing the Tour de Cure here in June.  They have 10mi, 30mi, 50mi, and century routes - considering the 30mi.  I have a tri 2 weeks before (12mi bike) so I'll be doing bike training anyway.

Janet

Janet ... go for it - sign up for the 30, and don't look back!

2013-01-31 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4602057

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Dorm57 - 2013-01-30 7:28 PM

soccermom15 - 2013-01-30 3:45 PM

Question: Has anyone here done any of the fundraising type bike rides?  I'm thinking about doing the Tour de Cure here in June.  They have 10mi, 30mi, 50mi, and century routes - considering the 30mi.  I have a tri 2 weeks before (12mi bike) so I'll be doing bike training anyway.

Janet

Janet ... go for it - sign up for the 30, and don't look back!

I agree - the extra biking will be a good workout and having a longer distance goal will help your sprint Tri times.

2013-01-31 7:45 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
As for me, work is nuts, kids are keeping us busy with their stuff (soccer, plays, marching band, etc) but still getting my workouts in albeit shorter than I wanted.  Leaving for Florida on Feb 10th for a Mardi Gras getaway.  Looking forward to it!
2013-01-31 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4601749

User image

Master
St. Louis
soccermom15 - 2013-01-30 2:45 PM

Well winter made it's comback today.  Cold, windy and snow flurries.  Iknew the 60* weather couldn't last but it sure was nice while it was hereSmile.

Question: Has anyone here done any of the fundraising type bike rides?  I'm thinking about doing the Tour de Cure here in June.  They have 10mi, 30mi, 50mi, and century routes - considering the 30mi.  I have a tri 2 weeks before (12mi bike) so I'll be doing bike training anyway.  I thought maybe I could just expand a little on the training rides for the tri to get me ready for the Tour de Cure.  And it's not a race anyway so as long as I could make the distance, speed wouldn't be an issue.  Just wondered if anyone had any experience with those kinds of rides.

Janet

I don't have any experience with these types of rides. Sorry.
2013-01-31 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4602493

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2013-01-31 7:45 AM

As for me, work is nuts, kids are keeping us busy with their stuff (soccer, plays, marching band, etc) but still getting my workouts in albeit shorter than I wanted.  Leaving for Florida on Feb 10th for a Mardi Gras getaway.  Looking forward to it!

Work has been nuts for me too. I'm on trip number 16 out of 23 in a six month span...
2013-01-31 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4602953

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Well now that inventory is done I can finally get back into the training regiment. So far I have about 10 miles logged running and should get another 4 or 5 tomorrow. I did manage to set a new PR at 31:00 for 4 miles. I have kinda put the bike up for the next couple weeks so that I focus on running for the Mercedes half mary. I did get some exciting news about a free wetsuit if it fits. It is an Oneil sleeveless full length. A friend of mine found it in the back of his closet. I might just get lucky.

Hope everyone is doing well and training hard.

2013-01-31 11:00 PM

User image

Regular
NW Houston

Okay Gary (folks), the guy here who doesn't want to "overthink" this is back at it with the wheels turning.  Here with a running question:  I am following a BT training program and have punched in 3 times a week on the run.  I have been doing it for the last two weeks and find the distances short and I'm afraid that I won't get up to the speed/distance I want for my race in May. Soooo....

I was thinking about adding some interval training to the mix.  I would continue to follow the BT program, but I have the time to add 2-3 more runs a week for a total of 6 days (sessions) of running and three of those would be interval training.  Thoughts?

2013-02-01 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4603696

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
sspicer - 2013-01-31 11:00 PM

Okay Gary (folks), the guy here who doesn't want to "overthink" this is back at it with the wheels turning.  Here with a running question:  I am following a BT training program and have punched in 3 times a week on the run.  I have been doing it for the last two weeks and find the distances short and I'm afraid that I won't get up to the speed/distance I want for my race in May. Soooo....

I was thinking about adding some interval training to the mix.  I would continue to follow the BT program, but I have the time to add 2-3 more runs a week for a total of 6 days (sessions) of running and three of those would be interval training.  Thoughts?

If I have it right you are training for a sprint in early May? And what are your goals for the Sprint?  As for the BT programs they are based upon formulas and generate somewhat generic plans.  That said they are plans that were created by Tri coaches to get you across the finish line, if you follow the plan it will get you there.  Some of the plans (usually marked Aggressive) will help you towards getting to the podium.

To me, what you are proposing (going from 3 days/week running along with swimming and biking to 6 days/week running with multiple intervals) is a recipe for injury.  Look at the rest of the plan and if you don't think it will get you to your running goal then add another run a week.  If you want intervals add them once every other week.  Build slow, take it from someone who has seen lots of folks do this, delaying that podium win to a later race is a lot faster than recoverying from an injury.

If you have a goal time for your Sprint then add another bike workout.  Having fresh legs off the bike will do more for your run (in the race) then adding more run training.

2013-02-01 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4603854

User image

Regular
NW Houston
GaryRM - 2013-02-01 6:48 AM

If I have it right you are training for a sprint in early May? And what are your goals for the Sprint?  As for the BT programs they are based upon formulas and generate somewhat generic plans.  That said they are plans that were created by Tri coaches to get you across the finish line, if you follow the plan it will get you there.  Some of the plans (usually marked Aggressive) will help you towards getting to the podium.

To me, what you are proposing (going from 3 days/week running along with swimming and biking to 6 days/week running with multiple intervals) is a recipe for injury.  Look at the rest of the plan and if you don't think it will get you to your running goal then add another run a week.  If you want intervals add them once every other week.  Build slow, take it from someone who has seen lots of folks do this, delaying that podium win to a later race is a lot faster than recoverying from an injury.

If you have a goal time for your Sprint then add another bike workout.  Having fresh legs off the bike will do more for your run (in the race) then adding more run training.

Thanks for that...my goal is to finish in under 1:45.  I am not worried about being on a podium (although I am naturally competitive Smile).  I currently ride 3x a week and run 3x a week.  My nature is such that I want instant gratification.

2013-02-01 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4601348

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
dwpiggott - 2013-01-30 12:20 PM

Great conversation on running programs and theories, thanks for sharing. Anybody ever look at McMillan calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/). I used this to try to figure out what pace I should be running for my workouts and it has really helped me not to push and over do. I won't know for sure how it worked until the races begin, but I have much less soreness than before.

David, thanks for the link and I'll give this a try.  Looks to translate into what's been preached on the site so much ... run slower (training) translates into running longer - running faster (racing).  My joints are sore the day after I run for much length at all, so this should help.

Went to the gym Wednesday night and the place was a zoo - new year resolution people run a muck!!  The lap pool was jammed and the single dude in the only open lane was just plain stupid. Sooo, I packed it in and went back early yesterday morning instead, only one other person in the pool - had a really nice swim before heading in to work.  This might just transition into something to put a smile on the face before going into work.

It's too cold over this way to get anything in while outside (maybe a run) so trainer time is in the works for tonight and the weekend.

Ciao all - Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2013-02-01 6:12 PM
2013-02-01 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I was off work today trying to get ready for a ski trip next week.  For the past 7-8 years I get a group of guys together and head out west to ski for a week.  The wife has loong since stopped skiing.  So, we're headed to Eden, Utah next Friday for a week.  As luck has it, my daughter and SIL,, and friends are coming there as well, arriving the day after we planned to leave, so I'll hang around with these for a couple of days ... sweet.  Utah powder is some of the best skiing out there

David, I tried out the recommended pacing based on the McMillan link tonight and think it's going to work for me.  I ran 3.12 miles at an 'easier' pace (12:33 i think) and seemed to be not as stiff when I got home. I hope there's minimal soreness in the morning.  I don't know how this is going to transition into speed for my March 9th race, but for now it can't hurt to run more and not get hurt.

2013-02-01 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4603854

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2013-02-01 6:48 AM

I agree with Gary. If you want to lengthen your runs a little, like 10-20%, that shouldn't be a problem. Adding intervals could cause trouble.
2013-02-01 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4605059

User image

Master
St. Louis
Dorm57 - 2013-02-01 6:29 PM

I was off work today trying to get ready for a ski trip next week.  For the past 7-8 years I get a group of guys together and head out west to ski for a week.  The wife has loong since stopped skiing.  So, we're headed to Eden, Utah next Friday for a week.  As luck has it, my daughter and SIL,, and friends are coming there as well, arriving the day after we planned to leave, so I'll hang around with these for a couple of days ... sweet.  Utah powder is some of the best skiing out there

David, I tried out the recommended pacing based on the McMillan link tonight and think it's going to work for me.  I ran 3.12 miles at an 'easier' pace (12:33 i think) and seemed to be not as stiff when I got home. I hope there's minimal soreness in the morning.  I don't know how this is going to transition into speed for my March 9th race, but for now it can't hurt to run more and not get hurt.

Have fun skiing! I'll be headed to Breckenridge the last week in March for my yearly ski trip.
2013-02-02 7:41 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Mike - ouch, rough travel plans. Good luck on that.Brett - glad the inventory is over!First, my first post from my iPad so we shall see how this goes. Sitting in Firestone, getting the brakes done on my truck. Last night my son's marching band was in a Mardi Gras parade. I volunteered to be a chaperone and walked the parade with the band. Pretty neat but the kids were glad it was over. They have another one tonight. Its a great way to raise money for the high school band.On a down note for my son when he got home he got the news that his pet lizard had died. He had this thing for over 6 years and was quite attached to it. For a lizard it was quite attached to my son and spent a lot of time riding around on my sons shoulder.So, lets see how this looks posted.
2013-02-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4605413

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2013-02-02 7:41 AM

Mike - ouch, rough travel plans. Good luck on that.Brett - glad the inventory is over!First, my first post from my iPad so we shall see how this goes. Sitting in Firestone, getting the brakes done on my truck. Last night my son's marching band was in a Mardi Gras parade. I volunteered to be a chaperone and walked the parade with the band. Pretty neat but the kids were glad it was over. They have another one tonight. Its a great way to raise money for the high school band.On a down note for my son when he got home he got the news that his pet lizard had died. He had this thing for over 6 years and was quite attached to it. For a lizard it was quite attached to my son and spent a lot of time riding around on my sons shoulder.So, lets see how this looks posted.

If you want to have spaces in your posts using an iPad go to settings>forum settings>settings and turn off rich text editing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115