United States
Koz Enterprises
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 19/38
Pre-race routine:

Packed everything up the night before, got up around 4:30, had some coffee and a clif bar. Left close to 5am.
Event warmup:

Got there pretty early, first one on my rack! It was next to the elites, so lots of activity to watch. Chatted with the ladies on my rack... 4th wave, not a whole lot of down-time in the morning. Grabbed some orange slices, part of a banana, and another half of a clif bar before taking off.
Swim
  • 07m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

After the initial start, settled into the middle of the pack. Got a swim buddy, but didn't need him :) MOP was different because I wasn't close to many people- they were all ahead or behind. Passed a few people, I don't think I was passed by many.
What would you do differently?:

Closer to the inside, maybe a faster start to get ahead of the crowd and stay there.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Body glide FAIL. Wetsuit stuck on my wrist first, causing a slower run up the chute, then had problems getting it off around the heels. Tried to go slow to concentrate and not rush through things. Getting out of the start gate for the bike, the mount, and all of that went really well.

Try the spray stuff? I like the idea of having a bucket to sit on. Shoes were sort of difficult to get on- open them up "wider" or again, some sort of lube?
Bike
  • 30m 18s
  • 9 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Hung with the road bikes, didn't see many tri bikes around me, but many passed me :) I felt like I got a pretty solid footing here. Clipping in and out was perfect- no troubles. Shifting was good, hills were minor, but still 'there'. Passed the people on slower bikes in the other age groups- surprised I didn't see many of my own AGers from the racks?

Aero the bike as much as I can. Drink more beforehand so I don't feel like I have to drink on the bike. Or get the aero-straw setup, those look pretty slick.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Decided to skip the socks, thinking it would save some time. Grabbed a gel, a swig of gatorade.

Went 'the long way' to the bike rack- I guess I could have gone down the middle, wasn't quite sure of protocol here. Bring the gel on the bike or on the run, not necessarily in T2. Loosen the speed laces! They were too tight by this point- after swim, bike.
Run
  • 27m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a fan of 2 loops the first time around, but the 2nd time around, I guess I knew where the finish was? Here's where I saw some AGers I recognized- one passed me up and I couldn't hang, another I had a really good pace-race with, I honestly don't remember who 'won'. Picked up the pace the last mile. The people I knew close to the finish line from the bike shop were SO HELPFUL and encouraging- I finished with a really strong sprint across. The time on the board was reading 1:29:XX- I wasn't going to let it roll over to 1:30! New 5k personal best.

Socks- I got something in my shoe, actually sliced the ball of my foot a little. It didn't bother me so much during the run at the time, but who knows.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some gatorade, hung out at the racks, chatting to the neighbors. Packed up my stuff, waited for results. Went back to thank the people that cheered me on, and joined the cheering crowd for a little bit. Met some really nice people in the beer garden, stayed longer than planned socializing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not quite sure, maybe just mentally being more confident in my swim?

Last updated: 2012-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:30 | 440 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra wetsuit
Course: Around 3 buoys, box shape.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:18 | 09 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: Big loop and a little loop around the island. Some headwind on the west side. Pretty well set up- wide corners, lots of signs and volunteers, no cars, smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:29 | 03.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Course: Double-loop, some sidewalk, some street, some dirt. Small hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-06 3:41 PM

New user
San Diego
Subject: Spring Sprint Triathlon

2012-05-06 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4193586

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Spring Sprint Triathlon
That was a nice race...  Swim was rocking and you left it all out there - good job!  I must say I am jealous of a race with a beer garden... 
2012-05-06 11:57 PM

Great job! Congratulations!
2012-05-19 9:20 PM

New user
San Diego

The beer garden is the first thing I look for in terms of race 'perks'. I really like this format, reading back, I already know I'm going to rock this super-sprint tomorrow!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed