United States
On Your Mark Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40+
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My first one ever, so tried to follow what I've read others have done. got up at 4 am, coffee, banana...and we're off! Made my daughter drive me :)
got to the location right before it opened, perfect as I wanted as much time as possible to get setup.
picked up my packet, got marked...this is so cool!

My wife and friend arrived before the start, that made me happy :)
Event warmup:

ran up and down the beach, went in the water a little, happy it felt warmer than i expected since I didnt have a wetsuit.
went over and listened to the tri-noob speech.
Swim
  • 19m 15s
  • 700 yards
  • 02m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was terribly slow, went out too fast and had moments of "holy crap,I may not make this!" followed by visions of embarassment of being towed in by the lifeguards in front of my family and friends.
I swtched strokes and just kept plugging away, huffing and puffing my way to the shore...ugh felt like I was in the water FOREVER and was convinced that I was DFL in my age group (my family revealed later that I wasnt....not even close)
As I emerge from the water, completely exhausted, I look to my family and friends for words of encouragement as I know they are waiting for me....I exit the water alone as I was slower than most and it provided a gap so there was just me splashing up to the beach. I'm looking to see where my supporters are when I hear "PACE!!! DROP THE ANCHOR!!!" what a great friend...at least he made me laugh....
What would you do differently?:

More swim training, clearly...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Was biking in my running shoes, but didnt have a wetsuit to remove so wasnt too bad.
Bike
  • 1h 06m
  • 19 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

there was a small hill right out of the gate and my left calf decided to cramp as soon as I got on the bike. I had read about others having this issue and just cranking thru it, so I did and it went away yay!

I was expecting a slower time so I was happy with this result. I only passed one person the entire time and was passed by MANY...which was discouraging. I felt good overall, still need to learnto drink while riding. I feel like I could have went a little faster had I known the course before as on the second loop I was more aware of what gear I should be in.

More training! and an electronic device so I can see how I am doing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

had riding shoes on already, so just dropped my helmet and grabbed my racebelt and I was off.
I did chat for a second with the guy next to me in the rack who had already come in from the run (and won the overall event).

nothing, went well.
Run
  • 47m 49s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried to keep putting one foot infront of the other....seemed to take forever. Finally found a lady who was going slow but not stopping, tried to pace with her until around mile 3 she took a nasty spill :(. I stopped to make sure she was ok. She insisted she was ok, and told me to keep going, so I did.It was a crazy looping course that had constant traffic going the other way. I was sure id get lost.....but luckily didnt.

train more on trails and hills
Post race
Warm down:

was greeted by family and friends, grabbed some fluids and ate (I was surprisingly super hungry)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Last updated: 2011-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:15 | 700 yards | 02m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: big square, basically out to the first bouy, make a left to the second, make a left to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:00 | 19 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 laps which was helpful to me so I knew what to expect on the second one.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:49 | 04 miles | 11m 57s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 99% trails which I didnt train for, lots of small hills slowed me down. I was tired from my poor training.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-19 11:20 AM

Regular
California
Subject: Tri for Real

2011-09-19 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3692115

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA
Subject: RE: Tri for Real
Great race report! And, it sounds like you really knew where to set up your transition- in the company of greatness! Glad you had a fun race, nice meeting you! Bet our paths will cross again soon.
2011-09-19 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3692551

Regular
California

Thanks!

also found out at the finish that I had cut my toe at the swin start despite the warning to be careful....

2011-09-19 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Good report Pace, we all have a first and it sounded good.
2011-09-20 11:35 AM

that was my 2nd race and I went with a friend who it was his first. I had him watch a vid right here on BT for the swim and I used most of her tips on my own swim as my 1st time was a ragged mess.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2353

He said his swim went well and I felt mine did as well. Hopefully you can use the tips on the next one. Congrats on your finish triathlete!

2011-09-30 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3693471

Regular
SF Bay Area

Hey Pace, Great report. I was supposed to do the Tri for Real but life got in the way.  I liked your swim comments.  The first time I raced there I thought I was going to die.  THe second time there was much better.  I think just having been there before helped.  I hope that is true for you too. 

I am doing Diablo Man next weekend.  Are you signed up for that too?

2011-09-30 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3706733

Regular
California

Thanks everyone!

Graham, I am not signed up for diablo man as I have too many irons in the fire right now. It looks like a nice easy one except for the run straight up the mountain! lol

I'm trying to get the family together to do the warrier dash norcal, I think its at the end of the month.

it has a cool finishers medal....and I want one

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Real Rss Feed