Denton, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 115/295
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/17
Pre-race routine:

First race ever so I didn't really know what to do. I went to sleep the night before around 9:30. I had a little trouble sleeping but woke up at fine at 4:25. Had a bagel and a Red Bull for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Some stretching and a 10-minute warm up jog.
Run
  • 7h 52m
  • 1 miles
  • 7h 52m  min/mile
Comments:

I could've freaked out about this but the wave starts for the runs didn't exactly go as planned. There was supposed to be three minutes between starts, I was in wave four. I went into the portajohn as wave two went off. Well, three minutes became 30 seconds and I had to run through transition and just barely made the run start (at the back). Once we got out there it was slow going as it was a log jam of participants since we were so close to the wave in front of us.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really once I got started. The 7:52 pace is about right for me right now. I'd like it to be faster, and it will at some point.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I was really surprised at how relatively easy this was to pull off. My left shoe gave me some trouble with the buckle (non-tri shoes) but that was really about it. Finding and getting to my bike was easy and the neon orange towel I bought served its purpose. Getting clicked in was a little harder than I would've liked but I didn't fumble too bad with it but I had some trouble getting in.

If I get serious about this, I'll need some tri shoes to make it quicker. Overall a sub-2 was faster than I thought I would be.
Bike
  • 52m 39s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 20.06 mile/hr
Comments:

A 20.1 MPH avg. was way, way faster than what I though was possible for today. I knew it would be faster but that was a nice surprise.

I should have taken more water on the bike. Like the run, I was pleased.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

No problems here either, I took a little slow on purpose because I knew I went too fast my legs wouldn't be back fast enough. Sub-2 again which is what I was shooting for.

Not take off on the run with my bike gloves on. =)
Run
  • 29m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my weakness, a big weakness but a sub-10 mile after the run was good, what I was shooting for. I got chilly a few times on the run and I'm not sure what's going on there. No pain in my hip and no cramps to speak of so I was pleased.

Continue to work on my run to get better.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, some stretching, lots of fluids, slice of pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

NO SWIM.

A weak run.

Event comments:

I wish they would've kept with the aforementioned wave starts instead of changing them at the last minute. More rest rooms would've been a big plus too.

Those are minor complaints. This was a great race and DA should be proud they pulled off a great event despite the lack of a swim.

Last updated: 2007-06-04 12:00 AM
Running
07:52:00 | 01 miles | 7h 52m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/295
Performance: Good
Course: Just a quick out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:52:39 | 17.6 miles | 20.06 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The out was more downhill than the back which made for some slow going. Fastest speed going out was 36 mph. I went big ring at 90-100 rpm for most of the way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:47
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:17 | 03.1 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Kind of weird, when I started the run, my HR was under 190 and stayed around 185 the first mile. Right at the start of the second mile it spiked up over 205 so I immediately started walked, 15 secs later it was down under 190 again. this happened two more times.
Course: Nice in the shade, hot in the sun
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2007-07-08 5:22 PM
in reply to: #876481

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon
HEY! Your first mile was FAST! WOW! Your bike was really fast too. I also think that your final 5K run was fast as well.

Overall, looks like a great race! I'm sure once the swimming gets thrown in, you will see an improvement in your times.

2007-07-08 6:12 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

This was a great performance, Grant, even if it wasn't your first race!  Plus, conditions were pretty tough today with the heat and humidity.  So you did really well.

BTW, the chills that you felt were probably due to dehydration.  I had them today too, and get them occasionally when I'm dehydrated!

Sorry, I didn't get to meet you.  

-David 

2007-07-08 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Hey - you had a heart rate like me!  205 - that's impressive!  Great race for your first time!  You seem like you were well-prepared but you learned a few tricks for next time.  Well done!
2007-07-08 11:06 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

great first race grant.. Sorry  I wasn't there to meet you..

Not to freak you out or anything but if you were getting chills while out doing the race in the heat and humidity I think that a sing of heat stroke/exhaustion..I could google it and sound really smart but look into it and drink lots of fluids 

2007-07-09 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Great job, Grant!  Congrats!  Your running doesn't look that any so-called 'weakness' to me.  I know plenty of folks that would love to have consistent sub-10min miles, not to mentiona sub-8 first one!

Don't be making fun on 'non-tri' bike shoes.  I used my road bike shoes for several years and did just fine in transition.  Don't let anyone convince you to give up something comfortable just because it's more 'tri-ish'.

Edited by davidb 2007-07-09 9:10 AM

2007-07-09 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Congrats on the race.  Your bike average is something to be proud of.  20+ is really moving!  And good to see you exceeded your transition times.

Too bad I missed you again.

2007-07-11 8:30 AM

User image

Austin Ranch, Plano, TX

Nice ride and an overall good race.   Add a little speed to that run and you'll really like it.

Here is an idea......takes less than 10 minutes.

Try a morning run of 1 mile every morning.  1/4 to 1/2 mile warm up and pick up the pace on the second half mile.    I was living in Chicago, and my run speed had hit a plateau. Then, I moved up to Lincoln Park and joined a health club exactly 1 mile from my apt.  Instead of driving, I would run up there to swim in the am and then run home.  At first, it was a jog there and back at a comfortable pace.  Then, I started pushing the run home.  Like magic, my 5k time dropped by 1 minute per mile as a result of those 1/2 mile "strides".  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed