Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Fire Department/Rescue Squad Open House ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-28 4:27 PM

New user
Subject: Fire Department/Rescue Squad Open House ideas

This spring, my fire department and rescue squad will be holding an open house.  Over the past year we have added some new equipment & vehicles & thought it would be nice change to have an open house instead of a fund raiser. 

Plans are to offer light refreshments & door prizes. 

When you hear light refreshments at an open house, what do you think of or expect?  I don't want to offer to much(a meal) but don't want to offer too little( a handful of chips & a cup of water.

As always, thanks for your help!

2013-02-28 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4641047

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Fire Department/Rescue Squad Open House ideas

hmmm

Some chips and fruit and cookies.  Juice and bottled water and maybe some soda?  That's a fair minimum.  Maybe a big cake to share?

2013-02-28 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Have you ever had an open house before, and if so, do you have any idea as to how many people you might be expecting to have?

If you can estimate that and if you have a budget, that potentially answers a lot of questions - or maybe even opens up some possibilities.   If you don't think that you'll have any more than 150-200 people, you could do beverages, chips and hot dogs and make a cookout of it.

Edited by cgregg 2013-02-28 4:42 PM
2013-02-28 5:13 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Ask Chick-Fil-A if they'll donate some chicken nugget platters.  They have a budget for that kind of thing.  They used to do it for our Military events.  

Get some veggie platters from the store.  Big Gatorade Jug of some bug juice, Jug o' Ice Water. 

That's how I'd roll.

2013-02-28 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4641108

User image

Elite
Cleveland
GomesBolt - 2013-02-28 6:13 PM

Ask Chick-Fil-A if they'll donate some chicken nugget platters.  They have a budget for that kind of thing.  They used to do it for our Military events.  

Get some veggie platters from the store.  Big Gatorade Jug of some bug juice, Jug o' Ice Water. 

That's how I'd roll.

Really good ideas.

If there is a GFS nearby, they have jugs of bug juice concentrate for like $5-7 that will make up to 5 gallons.  Exactly enough to fill a large Gatorade type cooler.  You can also pick up some really large veggie platters there as well as monster sized bags of chips and stuff.

2013-02-28 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4641112

User image

Master
Beijing
cgregg - 2013-02-27 6:18 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-02-28 6:13 PM

That's how I'd roll.

Really good ideas.

If there is a GFS nearby, they have jugs of bug juice concentrate for like $5-7 that will make up to 5 gallons.  Exactly enough to fill a large Gatorade type cooler.  You can also pick up some really large veggie platters there as well as monster sized bags of chips and stuff.

McDonalds used to give you the big yellow jug(with the red lid)  and the orange drink if you asked real nice.   I haven't seen that in a long time so I don't know if they still do that or not.

2013-02-28 7:35 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Sorry man, but chili. You kind of have to, especially in a firehouse.
2013-02-28 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4641215

User image

Queen BTich

phoenixazul - 2013-02-28 8:35 PM Sorry man, but chili. You kind of have to, especially in a firehouse.

x2. 

And aren't you firehouse guys known for your cooking? I'm sure someone in the Dept can make some pretty kicka.. chili! 

2013-03-01 8:54 AM

New user

Wonderful ideas, thank you!

We will be doing the open house during the town cleanup which ends up as garage sale weekend in town.  So it would be hard to judge how many people we would get.  We used to do a pork chop fry that weekend as a fundraiser, the crowd we had varied each year & it was affected by the weather.   

With Chick-Fil-A, unfortunately the closest one is 66 miles away, but that is still good to know.  Thank you for that information. 

We do have a GFS within an hour of us so that is an option.  Also we have DOT Foods(frozen goods distributor) and we are able to get gift certificates though them for their store.  They have items where the case or pallet broke. 

Mmmmmnnn, chili.  That’s a good idea, we don’t have many chili suppers around.  It’s easy, and fairly inexpensive.  Maybe that is something we can do in the fall is have a regular chili supper.    

2013-03-01 11:21 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
As opposed to trying to feed something to everyone who happens by throughout the day, I suggest you set a specific time to offer a variety of things to eat.  Emergency personnel are some of the best cooks around.  Why not pick a few things that are regularly on the menu in the firehouse and sample them to your guests?  Think of it more as a day-in-the-life as opposed to feeding folks.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Fire Department/Rescue Squad Open House ideas Rss Feed