Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-04-29 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2824695

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Total Immersion?
All I know is when I swim with nice long smooth efficient strokes, I'm able to swim at a faster pace for longer with less effort. But when I start to really increase my turnover, my speed picks up a lot. For me the difference is quite large. For me, losing some of my form is absolutely worth it. Every time I have set a pr at any length, I always lose some form at the end of my race, but I end up going faster than I have before. For instance I had a 750 yd TT at my last sprint tri, I dropped a lot fo time from last years race even though my last 250 was awful form. My pace went from 1:07 on the first 500 to 1:13 for the last 250, mostly because my form started to fail. Maybe this is bad, but that is my best 750 yd swim by a long shot. None of my strong smooth form attempts have even come close.

2010-04-29 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2827311

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
JoshR - 2010-04-29 6:45 PM

All I know is when I swim with nice long smooth efficient strokes, I'm able to swim at a faster pace for longer with less effort. But when I start to really increase my turnover, my speed picks up a lot. For me the difference is quite large. For me, losing some of my form is absolutely worth it. Every time I have set a pr at any length, I always lose some form at the end of my race, but I end up going faster than I have before. For instance I had a 750 yd TT at my last sprint tri, I dropped a lot fo time from last years race even though my last 250 was awful form. My pace went from 1:07 on the first 500 to 1:13 for the last 250, mostly because my form started to fail. Maybe this is bad, but that is my best 750 yd swim by a long shot. None of my strong smooth form attempts have even come close.

I was going to reply...in depth.... to a reply above, but thank you for illustrating my point, I was going to be most unkind to someone I like but has clearly lost perspective. Sometimes, especially in regards to short course racing, you just need to train FAST. It will suck, but it will worth it. When you are 100% committed to a plan, be that for improvements or for income, it doesn't make it correct.
2010-04-29 10:25 PM
in reply to: #2826367

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
AdventureBear - 2010-04-29 2:34 PM
bryancd - 2010-04-29 11:20 AM
AdventureBear - 2010-04-29 9:34 AM
oldntrin - 2010-04-29 9:17 AM I'll add the disclosure:

AB is a certified TI coach (www.totalimmersion.net/find-a-coach -- Pennsylvania)
It's not a secret, I've posted here mutliple times about my TI coaching certification and process. Not something I would have done without a strong conviction that I could help my triathletes by learning how to coach them better.
As a coach, wouldn't it serve your athletes better to provide a variety of techniques and training options best suited to the individual as opposed to a one style fits all approach? People like Dan (Docswim), who's is the BEST swimmer posting in this thread has shared his thoughts about pacing and swimming hard being very effective and I AGREE 100%. We need variability of training to improve. i think it's important to note that no one here saying TI is bad. What's bad can be being infexible in regards to its limitations or worse, ignoring them completey.
TI isn't one style fits all...there are principals and each individual is going to be able to apply them differently based on their body type, flexibility, previous injuries. A flatter roll, a shallower reach and wider arm swing are all within the applications of TI and are frequently the types of changes I'm making to someone's stroke who has learned from the video. Why stop swimming when your form breaks down during a hard interval? Because you've found your breaking point where the sacrifice of stroke length may outweigh the increased turnover. This is really really really easy to measure. Count your strokes, multiply by your stroke rate, add however many seconds for your pushoff = speed. Are your harder intervals really faster or just harder? And can you swim the same speed at a lower stroke rate with a more liesurely stroke? You'd be shocked to see what pearls you can uncover if you deconstruct speed just a little bit more than just intervals and rest periods. yes, as you swim faster, your stroke count will go up, but then why not work on optimizing your stroke count for that speed by examing your technique instead of just throwing up your arms and saying, "Oh well, I'm swimming faster and my form is supposed to break down..." As I said on a previous thread regarding stroke counts and stroke rate...you can ignore the empirical values if you like, but it's a bit like owning a power meter for your bike and only looking at your average speed. There's a whole lot more you can in the pool than just swim hard. I am currently swimming faster in my 25s, 50s, 100s, 250s and IMs then I've ever swum in my adult life and it's a result of my TI studies and application of smart training principals when trying to improve speed. In January prior to my TI weekend clinic, my fastest 100 all out was a 1:43. Since then, with patient practice of holding my form over both easy yards, as well as training with a tempo trainer to increase my stroke rate, my fastest 100 is now a 1:30. I'd been stuck in the 1:40s for over 5 years prior to that. Today, I swam my fastest IM ever in my adult life at 1:40. So it may not be teh 3:00/100 to 1:20/100 that a previous poster was hoping for, but it's a significant improvement and I anticipate additional increases in speed with time.

I think everyone here agrees (or at least from what I read from the thread) that TI is a great learn to swim program. It's really hard to argue that fact. Those struggling with swimming find ease and comfort with TI. In addition, pretty much everyone here who has some swimming pedigree also agrees that the fundamental branded pieces of TI do not promote increasing your speed beyond a certain point of development.Owner/founder Terry Laughlin has admitted such as well. I think that those who posted on this thread that have some serious swimming experience have a credible argument, since they have been through the wars, and are now FOP'ers.

TI teaches a lot of core swimming principles that everyone applies, but they hang their hat on a few, "fishlike" swimming techniques, and I think that it's those specific pieces that are up for debate.  I in no way want to take away from what you have learned and who you have helped, but I think that going from 2min per hundred to 1:30 per hundred takes a certain set of skills, but going from 1:30 to 1:00 or 1:10 per hundred takes a bit different skillset. It's this point that I think the people on the thread are trying to convey.

As to not stopping swimming a hard set once your stroke breaks down, I can think of a few key reasons right off the top of my head to keep going. The fact that it actually improves your technique lands somewhere in the top 3 on that list, but that's a completely different thread.

My 2 cents.
2010-04-29 10:33 PM
in reply to: #2827523

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
^^Thank you TJ.
2010-04-30 2:06 AM

User image

New user
Thanks to everyone who gave their 0.02c worth. After reading all the comments and opinions I think TI is the way to go for me as my goal at this stage (as a novice swimmer and triathlete) is to finish the swim and still be in good enough shape to enjoy the bike and run.
2010-04-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2827523

User image

Master
Central Indiana
tjfry - 2010-04-29 11:25 PM
As to not stopping swimming a hard set once your stroke breaks down, I can think of a few key reasons right off the top of my head to keep going. The fact that it actually improves your technique lands somewhere in the top 3 on that list, but that's a completely different thread.

^^^^^ 

As a poor swimmer-when I'm tired I can better feel my faults coming out as my concentration breaks down (lifting head to breathe, poor rotation, crossing over, etc.).  Seems to me it's important to know HOW your stroke tends to break down as you tire.

2010-04-30 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Watched a TI vid the other evening and I fell asleep.  The monotony of the beginner level drills and the elevator music did me in.  It was their 21st century freestyle vid with tips for beginners to advanced swimmers.  I don't consider myself an advanced swimmer, but I'm working on the getting faster than 1:30 right now and the TI vids don't really speak to me much.  The "advanced" part of their vid was about open/flip turns and increasing stroke rate... while pimping out a stroke rate device I imagine you can buy on their website.

I think if you're new to swimming, have pretty poor technique, I'd absolutely recommend them.  Even better if you're a member of Blockbuster's online rental program, they have the TI DVDs so you can try before you buy or whatever.
2010-04-30 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2828075

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Oldteen - 2010-04-30 8:16 AM

tjfry - 2010-04-29 11:25 PM

^^^^^ 

As a poor swimmer-when I'm tired I can better feel my faults coming out as my concentration breaks down (lifting head to breathe, poor rotation, crossing over, etc.).  Seems to me it's important to know HOW your stroke tends to break down as you tire.

I agree...but there's no need to hammer that poor stroke to death. Find that tipping point, identify the breakdowns, work on correcting them at that pace, then incrementally increase the pace again. By stepwise progression you'll be building a solid stroke that's durable at ever increasing stroke rates.
2010-05-01 2:51 PM

User image

Regular
This is not meant to be disrespectful to Terry, as I have not been to his TI camp. I have seen his video. If you are looking at another camp option, come to The Race Club in Islamorada, FL Keys. I have helped many triathletes improve their swimming techniques.
Problem with swimming, there is not one technique that is ideal for all distance swimmers. We need to evaluate what strengths you may have in the water and based on that, teach a technique that works better for you. For example, in the men's 1500 meter swim final in Beijing, the first two places, Mellouli and Hackett, used a classic hip-driven, hold-in-front technique, while Ryan Cochrane and the Russian guy used a fast-turnover, shoulder-driven technique. They were about 4 seconds apart, first to 4th place. Very different techniques. But if you don't have the legs to drive you, don't hold in front.
Breathing is another problem. Most freestylers don't breathe often enough. Yes, every cycle is not enough. Anyway, I often teach triathletes a  bit unorthodox breathing pattern and a higher turnover freestyle that preserves the legs and gets as much 02 into your body as possible. Come check us out at www.theraceclub.com.

Gary Sr. 
2010-05-01 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2830415

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by PennState 2010-05-01 2:56 PM
2010-05-01 3:04 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
^^^X2, we know have true swimming royalty in this thread.

2010-05-01 3:05 PM

Master
garyhallsr - 2010-05-01 2:51 PM This is not meant to be disrespectful to Terry, as I have not been to his TI camp. I have seen his video. If you are looking at another camp option, come to The Race Club in Islamorada, FL Keys. I have helped many triathletes improve their swimming techniques.
Problem with swimming, there is not one technique that is ideal for all distance swimmers. We need to evaluate what strengths you may have in the water and based on that, teach a technique that works better for you. For example, in the men's 1500 meter swim final in Beijing, the first two places, Mellouli and Hackett, used a classic hip-driven, hold-in-front technique, while Ryan Cochrane and the Russian guy used a fast-turnover, shoulder-driven technique. They were about 4 seconds apart, first to 4th place. Very different techniques. But if you don't have the legs to drive you, don't hold in front.
Breathing is another problem. Most freestylers don't breathe often enough. Yes, every cycle is not enough. Anyway, I often teach triathletes a  bit unorthodox breathing pattern and a higher turnover freestyle that preserves the legs and gets as much 02 into your body as possible. Come check us out at www.theraceclub.com.

Gary Sr. 

Interesting. Should I be considering throwing in a strong kick into my swim repertoire as a developing swimmer (not FOP)? I've always gone by the "common knowledge" that since the arms generate so much more propulsion than the legs, it is more efficient to not vigorously kick. However, there is no doubt in my case that I have a big genetic difference between power/endurance of my legs vs arms that has been there my whole life. My arms feel anemic whereas my legs are very powerful. Perhaps I should start kicking more vigorously?

(For all who don't know, the poster above Gary Hall Sr holds several Olympic medals, and multiple world records in swimming! WOW! Sincerely hoping he posts here regularly if at all possible!)

Edited by agarose2000 2010-05-01 3:06 PM
2010-05-01 5:04 PM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

garyhallsr - 2010-05-01 12:51 PM

Gary Sr. 

X2

Years ago I watched Janet Evens swim and I came to the same conclusion. There is not one style fits all. I have been a shoulder driven swimmer, but am currently supplementing my arsenal with a hip driven style so I can mix it up in OW as is appropriate. 

I am also a frequent breather. While I may start off the first 25 breathing every 4th stroke I quickly settle down into breathing as much as I need to. I breathe bilaterally so for me it is just a matter of breathing naturally.

I think many people get tied to the "perfect stroke" when they should be looking for their best stroke. Most coaches know this and coach swimmers to reach the swimmers best stroke 

2010-05-01 8:26 PM

Elite
Evergreen, CO
My husband watched the TI videos and read the books and now effortlessly kicks my @$$ every time.  My problem with it is I can't kick well enough to do the drills, but the concept has helped my poor swim times and left me with plenty of energy for the bike and run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion? Rss Feed  

of 3