Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2024-06-25 9:38 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Andrew:  read your RR - man HMs are tough to pace - I've blown up around mile 10 twice (once pretty spectacularly).  Have you thought of carrying liquid with you?  I've done that in the past (as well as in training) and you just get used to the extra weight and then you won't have to rely on the course supplies as long as it's cool out.  

@Gretchen:  Nice (metric plus) century, and usual you're the best good samaritan out there. 

@Robert:  the heat has been no joke so far this year, run early and easy

@Nicole:  hope your trip is going well

@Nathalie:  looking forward to your race results this weekend, I'd love a short swim race

Day off yesterday and then almost 4 miles outside this morning (65 degrees, about perfect for summer - weather changed dramatically in 48 hours).  Main set was a bunch of 30 second kick-pace intervals (so just a little faster than R pace, maybe like 7:15/mile for me) then 45 minutes of lower body, core, and physical therapy work with The Wife.  Weather is looking acceptable for Saturday so a Park Run is in store for me.  I really want to see where I am running-wise and haven't raced an open 5K without stomach issues in a couple of years. 

2024-06-25 9:48 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I am here to report that at 8am this morning the weather in Carbondale is hotter than it is in Cairo at 4pm. AND...Cairo is currently experiencing 12% humidity, while Carbondale is checking in at a measly 78% (which will rise, as will the temperature!). It is beyond gross here, which is why I got up at 3:30am to get in my 1:04 Z3 interval run before going swimming (1500m recovery swim). I am OVER summer already.

As you guys know, we had to put our dog to sleep last month. Let me tell you...I didn't think that dog did anything but sleep, but she was the best at keeping the wildlife at bay. Seriously, since she has been gone we have an entire family of groundhogs (aka woodchucks) living in our shed, we have a nested pair of birds with babies living in one of our patio chairs, and we have the resurgence of a hoard of squirrels living in our pin oak tree. We have also had deer inside our fenced yard for the first time ever (that I know of). It is like a mf Disney movie around here! I am just waiting for the moment they start to do housework!
2024-06-25 9:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi, all.  I think I've mentioned her before, but my daughter's former swim coach (and my Masters coach) is swimming from the Chesapeake Bridge to the Baltimore Inner Harbor today - 24 miles in about 12 hours or so.  Her name is Katie Pumphrey if you want to look her up.  All the local news outlets are covering it here, and they had a Harbor Swim over the weekend to celebrate the cleaning up of the harbor over the past ten years. 

Whoa!!! That is amazing. I can't even fathom swimming that long.
2024-06-25 9:52 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Power meters, in order of preference (a graphic to explain Andrew's engineeringese):

Consistency vs Accuracy

Yeah, I don't really care about A, just as long as I could get B between the two devices! I'm annoyed by the difference between two "precise" tools that cost a lot of money. If they were cheap things, I'd understand, but come on! These things are expensive and they should work!!

Mike--two sided and seemingly sending data to the watch independently, which is weird, My old Powertap pedals had the right as a slave of the left--right would send data to the left, which would send data to the watch. If this keeps up, I might actually have to read the directions that came with the pedals!
2024-06-25 3:55 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I am here to report that at 8am this morning the weather in Carbondale is hotter than it is in Cairo at 4pm. AND...Cairo is currently experiencing 12% humidity, while Carbondale is checking in at a measly 78% (which will rise, as will the temperature!). It is beyond gross here, which is why I got up at 3:30am to get in my 1:04 Z3 interval run before going swimming (1500m recovery swim). I am OVER summer already.

As you guys know, we had to put our dog to sleep last month. Let me tell you...I didn't think that dog did anything but sleep, but she was the best at keeping the wildlife at bay. Seriously, since she has been gone we have an entire family of groundhogs (aka woodchucks) living in our shed, we have a nested pair of birds with babies living in one of our patio chairs, and we have the resurgence of a hoard of squirrels living in our pin oak tree. We have also had deer inside our fenced yard for the first time ever (that I know of). It is like a mf Disney movie around here! I am just waiting for the moment they start to do housework!

Let us know when that happens (the animals doing the housework), and you may get a pretty dress to go to the ball!
Yes, dogs (and cats) do keep wildlife away, our neighbours have moles, rabbits, etc. We have a dog and 2 cats and none of the other mentioned.

Went swim running tonight with the club, 1.2k run and 330m swim x 3 it’s nice and hot here (and by hot I mean not as hot as you guys have it, so it’s nice), perfect weather for a swim-run.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 115

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 959 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland