General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to Manage Family and Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-01-04 11:22 PM
in reply to: #640643

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: How to Manage Family and Training
ya gotta be creative. trainer in the living room ready to roll after bed time. jogging stroller with tons of blankets for the cold days. weights at home. a gym with early/late hours. a supportive spouse that you also give time to. and perspective on what is important to you. they grow up fast but they also get a lot out of seeing a parent so dedicated. your heart will tell you what to do when!

2007-01-04 11:42 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
This thread rocks!
Finally there is more than just me.
As a shift worker, I have to do what I can when I can. Most of the time it is involving me being tired. Sleep when I can and try and be a family man. This year, I am going to be doing only SHORT COURSE triathlons. When my 2nd is in school, I will be able to be better/faster. Until then, just try and keep your priorities. Mine are Family first/Training second.
2007-01-05 7:07 AM

Master
STL
As far as the $ thing goes...so far i've pretty much used the stash of cash i got when i FINALLY got my degree last winter. Now, it's a different story, but my husband is pretty supportive...i just when back to work full time, after working part time for a year, plus i teach a "toddler boogie" class once a week so...but, whenever he talks about buying a gun (by the way he's gone hunting 2 times in the 7 years i've known him) he reminds of the $ i spend on my bike stuff...

my response: atleast i use my bike

2007-01-05 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK
Great for this newbie to hear of so many other triing parents out there.

I do the early morning thing which always includes a bike ride as I commute to work on the bike. I then either run after getting here or swim on the way in. Works for me. I've also been 'realistic', for me that is, and decided not to do anything longer than an olympic over the next few years.

Good luck with it.

Jens
2007-01-05 8:13 AM
in reply to: #643113

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

We have four kids, 20mo through 16 years.

My new motto is: get the workout done before the dog wakes up.  (Thankfully, we have a lazy dog

2007-01-05 4:54 PM

User image

In The Adirondacks
I am truly grateful for the endless feedback received through this thread. I spoke to my wife about the plentiful suggestions and experiences many of you practice when balancing training and family. I propose that perhaps Beginner Triathlete could include as one of their areas of interest (i.e., Nutrition, Triathlon Talk, Race Reports) a "Parenting and Training" or "Training and Family" section for all of us who love the sport of triathlon and find the most reward from the joys of raising and being part of a family. As a practicing school counselor, I have found that the support we give parents directly impacts and benefits the quality of thier child rearing and their overall family experience. I firmly believe this is a topic worthy of its own section. This is evident in the commonality of those of us participating in this thread with regards to how we approach this sport while making time for our families and holding them as high priority. Again, I thank all of you for your time and insightful advice. Please continue contributing your invaluable input and supporting the wonderful moms and dads who use this great site and who choose to live the healthy life.

2007-01-08 2:00 AM

User image

Master
Portland, OR

You've already said the magic words, "talked to my wife."  The one thing that has kept my training on track and my marriage in tact is communication.  I get my training plan a week or two in advance from my coach and it goes up on the fridge.  That way my DH knows what I have planned.  If there's a conflict, we talk about it well before the day has arrived. (I also do a good chunk of my training early in the morning.) My coach also knows my situation and my plan reflects accordingly.

My kids are a little older (4, 8 and 13) so I take them to the pool with me during swim workouts.  They play while I swim laps.  The cool thing that I'm noticing is how they have picked up on my healthy lifestyle.  My boys will both compete in the Kids Tri events this summer and they both "race" each other in the pool, on their bikes, etc.  The other day my 4 year old asked me when he'd be big enough to race in "mommy races". 

We've talked about junk food vs. racers food.  I eat better so they're eating better.  I asked my 8 year old what he had for lunch the other day and he said, "Well, all the food looked fried so I had a salad."  (I was so proud!!!  It almost made up for the "your butt is still kind of big" comment.)

Congrats on taking the first step.  Keep it up and now you know you're not alone on the journey!!

Sharon 

2007-01-08 8:38 PM

User image

Expert

I'm not a parent yet and I still live at home with my parents (I'm in my mid 20s).  But I have a long commute that takes up far too much time every day and some chores to do, so my time is limited and I'm doing an IM this year.  I swim twice a week, one night and Saturday mornings when I am back before my dad is awake.  I run like 2 days a week during my lunch hour, which frees up time after work for other things (and more time on the bike when the sun sets later).  I also generally do a short bike ride one day a week during lunch. 

Trainers and treadmills are great for people that may need to do some babysitting while working out.  Also, long runs can be done very early in the morning as well.  It's the long bike rides that have to be the toughest to get in.  The giving your partner time to do what they want while you watch the kids and vice versa thing is essential.

A couple of years ago, I did a 5K where there especially seemed to be a lot of young kids running with their parents.  I remember one father/daughter pair, the girl maybe 7 years old.  The father was encouraging her, getting her to run to the next stop sign for instance.  Basically just encouraging the daughter and making the race about her.  Getting your kids involved in things like that once they're old enough has got to be special for them and it teaches them all those things you want them to learn 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to Manage Family and Training Rss Feed  

of 2