Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 142

2024-09-24 5:01 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Hope the physio gives you thumb up for your long runs Andrew, welcome to Ironman training!

2024-09-24 10:02 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Ironman '25 training has officially commenced

FTP ramp test, followed by 30 minutes easy spinning last night. My FTP is 21W down from my last test in January. But, with my run focus and low cycling volume for most of this year a drop was expected. Actually, it's dropped a bit less than I was expecting. Although seeing numbers go down is not good, I'm happy with where I'm at, and hopefully my perceived effort and power zones will match a bit better now.

An hour easy run this morning with the dog. Easy jog, nothing special to report.

Tonight I've got a physio appointment for my knee. Like I said, it's better than it was, but not 100% clear so interested to see how the rehab plan will change. And of course hoping for clearance to up my long run again over the next few weeks.

Ironman 2025 here you come!!!!!!

What plan are you using?
2024-09-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30' run for me this morning at o-dark 30, which really turned into o-dark 30 when my light died about 7' from my house. I live in the country and it is dark out there, not helped this morning by the cloud cover. Fortunately for me, my neon green light up vest provided enough light I could see blobs of shapes on the road. We had a storm move through yesterday (bringing Fall with it!!!!) and there is a ton of debris on the road.

Later today, I have a 60' ride scheduled, which I will probably do outside if it stops raining. Currently weighing the boredom of a trainer ride versus the pain it is to wash the bike after coming home from a wet ride.
2024-09-24 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew - yes Ironman 2025!!!  Hope you get good news from the ortho and be sure to keep up that physio work, maybe forever.  You ain't 30 anymore, know know.    Would also like to hear about The Plan.  I love plans!!

@Nicole:  sorry you're having a rough time of it, and I'm sure getting scolded at practice when you just want to chill doesn't help; call 2024 a loss (it happens, says the guys who has lost three full seasons and countless part seasons) get healthy over the winter and ready to obliterate 2025;  And get on your bike sometime...you're a triathlete, you know...

@Gretchen:  does a day go by without something weird happening to you?  police outside your window - Monday...lamp breaks - Tuesday...just a minor crash - Wednesday...sign up for an absurd race - Thursday. 

Finally feeling up to exercising this morning...40+ min on the bike and another 30 min of strength training.  Still a bit run down and sleeping a ton but it's improving and I only have some minor cold symptoms.   I have my bike leg 12 days from now so I gotta kick this to end the year on a good note.  Ankle seems fine, just some random pain from time to time.  I'll start running again after the race.

2024-09-24 1:58 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Gretchen:  does a day go by without something weird happening to you?  police outside your window - Monday...lamp breaks - Tuesday...just a minor crash - Wednesday...sign up for an absurd race - Thursday. 

Finally feeling up to exercising this morning...40+ min on the bike and another 30 min of strength training. 

• If it does, it feels weird!!

You guys will love the absurdity of this one...
    Yesterday I had a meeting with three other Full Professors to discuss whether an Associate Professor in my department merited promotion to Full Professor (academic ranks Assistant Prof=junior; Associate Prof=mid career; Full Professor (or just Professor)=international standing, usually later in career). The candidate's specialty is monogamy in primates and he has made huge contributions to our understanding of what it means for primates to be monogamous or pair bonded. The candidate had an affair with one of the other committee member's wives (they are now divorced) and the candidate had another affair (at a different time) with the previous Dean's wife, which is why he hasn't gone up for promotion before (because the Dean gets to make a recommendation on whether you get promoted and it is weighed heavily!). It is just so absurd it could only happen in academia.
    2024-09-24 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Finally feeling up to exercising this morning...40+ min on the bike and another 30 min of strength training.  .

If it does, it feels weird!! You guys will love the absurdity of this one... Yesterday I had a meeting with three other Full Professors to discuss whether an Associate Professor in my department merited promotion to Full Professor (academic ranks Assistant Prof=junior; Associate Prof=mid career; Full Professor (or just Professor)=international standing, usually later in career). The candidate's specialty is monogamy in primates and he has made huge contributions to our understanding of what it means for primates to be monogamous or pair bonded. The candidate had an affair with one of the other committee member's wives (they are now divorced) and the candidate had another affair (at a different time) with the previous Dean's wife, which is why he hasn't gone up for promotion before (because the Dean gets to make a recommendation on whether you get promoted and it is weighed heavily!). It is just so absurd it could only happen in academia.

A serial monogamist I suppose? 

Now THAT'S irony for you. 

2024-09-24 6:21 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island

Finally feeling up to exercising this morning...40+ min on the bike and another 30 min of strength training. 

• If it does, it feels weird!!

You guys will love the absurdity of this one...
    Yesterday I had a meeting with three other Full Professors to discuss whether an Associate Professor in my department merited promotion to Full Professor (academic ranks Assistant Prof=junior; Associate Prof=mid career; Full Professor (or just Professor)=international standing, usually later in career). The candidate's specialty is monogamy in primates and he has made huge contributions to our understanding of what it means for primates to be monogamous or pair bonded. The candidate had an affair with one of the other committee member's wives (they are now divorced) and the candidate had another affair (at a different time) with the previous Dean's wife, which is why he hasn't gone up for promotion before (because the Dean gets to make a recommendation on whether you get promoted and it is weighed heavily!). It is just so absurd it could only happen in academia.

Professor specializing in monogamy has multiple affairs... that's up there with the olympic break dancer Raygun having a phd in break dancing. The irony is strong.

Don't think it's just in accademia to know that sleeping with the bosses wife isn't good for promotion prospects though. Haha.
    2024-09-24 7:21 PM
    in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island

@Andrew - yes Ironman 2025!!!  Hope you get good news from the ortho and be sure to keep up that physio work, maybe forever.  You ain't 30 anymore, know know.    Would also like to hear about The Plan.  I love plans!!

Physio was overall positive, but not yet in the clear. We went through the ultrasound report and confirmed that I've got patella tendonitis, but at the inflammation level, not the tear level. So caught earlier than most, which is a good thing.

He's happy that progress is being made with my rehab. The knee looks better and apparently feels better with the poking and prodding they do. Very impressed with my efforts doing the rehab, averaging 5-6/week out of 7 is better than most apparently. My rehab exercises are changing, they're going to get more difficult, but less frequent, changing to 4x per week, and no more than 2 consecutive days. Weights are now part of the program, specifically seated calf raises, and Bulgarian deadlifts. And some assorted bodyweight stuff.

Triathlon wise, I've got no issues to swim and bike as much as I want. But for running he still wants me to restrict myself for the next 4-6 weeks. Fortunately one of the benefits of switching from marathon to Ironman training is most weeks my plan only calls for 3 runs/week. So I shouldn't miss out on too much. I am a bit concerned about loosing too much of the run fitness I built over the first half of the year. But such is life, nothing I can do but follow that rehab.

Yes, definitely not 30 anymore, Mr Physio is pretty adamant that weights are going to be a permanent feature in my training if I want to remain a runner.
    2024-09-24 7:47 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island

What plan are you using?

I'm modifying an 80:20 plan. Specifically the 2024 training peaks level 2 plan.

My modifications are:

Swim. The plan calls for 3-4 pool swims/week. Realistically that doesn't fit into my life. Lane availability combined with work/family commitments means more than 2 pool swims/week is not going to happen. I'm also planning to do more regular OWS when the summer evening series starts up for the year (3 weeks to go!). So swimming I'll pretty much do my own thing, it's not going to be ideal but will be the best I can manage (at least until we're empty nesters in 15 years or so).

Bike. Will be as per the plan. Mostly on zwift other than some long rides.

Run. In an ideal world, I'd run more than the plan calls for, minimum 4/week rather than 3/week as per the plan. My knee issues are stopping that for now, but hopefully in a few months I'll be able to increase my frequency again. After the last few years I've really confirmed that my running performance responds well to high frequency running (injuries dependant of course!). I'm also going to increase the duration of any short runs up to an hour. Just a better use of my time, and the limited opportunities I have to train these days. (Other than brick workouts, when I get to that stage of the plan a short brick run makes sense)

Of course plans during week 1 of Ironman training are easy... we will see how things go. Changes will be made as necessary if required.
    2024-09-24 8:01 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    @Mike, Nice to see you're feeling good enough to get back into training. You're definitely going to kick some in your relay.

@Gretchen, If you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck. I agree with hitting the trainer if the weather's nasty. Cleaner, safer, less unpleasant. It's a no brainer. Especially only an hour ride. Hit netflix and chill with your bike

@Me. Swim this morning. 1,250m in half an hour, so not much in the scheme of things, but longest of the year. Slowly working it back up. My intention is to get up to around 2,000m/per swim. Much more than that and I'll be running out of time to get the swim in and get home in time for the morning breakfast/bath/school routine. I'll have to make a special effort and target some longer swims closer to the day.

No training tonight, as we've got Mr 7s school production. He's got a speaking part this year, so very excited. But it's still going to be a long night for everyone.
    2024-09-25 12:24 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

You guys will love the absurdity of this one...(….)

You’re right, we love it!

Don't think it's just in accademia to know that sleeping with the bosses wife isn't good for promotion prospects though. Haha.

Yeah, I think it’s frowned upon in most branches! LOL

What I’d like to know is, are humans monogamous by nature or is it society (some religions, etc) that decided that?

Rest day yesterday, went to hockey instead, dreadful game, the Lakers forgot how to play after the first period. Oh well, shite happens, new game tomorrow (away game on tv this time), I hope they’ll have remembered how to do it before the start.
    (Oh come on BT censorship, that’s not a bad word in that contest)

Tonight I will be testing run intervals with the club, see how that achilles behaves .

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-09-25 2:39 AM

2024-09-25 10:09 AM
    in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Originally posted by Rollergirl

What I’d like to know is, are humans monogamous by nature or is it society (some religions, etc) that decided that?

Difficult to answer!

Here's my take on it...humans are a naturally socially monogamous species, but not necessarily naturally sexually monogamous, meaning I think we have an inclination to find a single mate to be pair bonded with in terms of trust, respect, willingness to build life together, etc., but that there is no natural inclination to be sexually monogamous with that single individual. Our societies have pushed us into sexual and social monogamy and tied them together as if they are the same thing. Margaret Mead's work showed us that sexual monogamy is not necessary for strong social foundations. Bonobos (pygmy chimpanzees) have pair bonds, but they also solve nearly all conflict in the group through sexual relationships (most commonly female/female units).
    2024-09-25 10:13 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Originally posted by bulfrog

What plan are you using?

I'm modifying an 80:20 plan. Specifically the 2024 training peaks level 2 plan.

My modifications are:

Swim. The plan calls for 3-4 pool swims/week. Realistically that doesn't fit into my life. Lane availability combined with work/family commitments means more than 2 pool swims/week is not going to happen. I'm also planning to do more regular OWS when the summer evening series starts up for the year (3 weeks to go!). So swimming I'll pretty much do my own thing, it's not going to be ideal but will be the best I can manage (at least until we're empty nesters in 15 years or so).

Bike. Will be as per the plan. Mostly on zwift other than some long rides.

Run. In an ideal world, I'd run more than the plan calls for, minimum 4/week rather than 3/week as per the plan. My knee issues are stopping that for now, but hopefully in a few months I'll be able to increase my frequency again. After the last few years I've really confirmed that my running performance responds well to high frequency running (injuries dependant of course!). I'm also going to increase the duration of any short runs up to an hour. Just a better use of my time, and the limited opportunities I have to train these days. (Other than brick workouts, when I get to that stage of the plan a short brick run makes sense)

Of course plans during week 1 of Ironman training are easy... we will see how things go. Changes will be made as necessary if required.

Wow...80/20 level 2? I just finished the level 3 plan and it was heavy volume! Be careful in swapping the swims for runs--it may level out in terms of training volume, but the stresses are totally different and you may be headed toward a(nother) overuse injury. I get the swimming thing is an issue. Have you thought about a dryland swim trainer like a Zen8 zwim? Might help with getting in some of that swim training without the logistical issues of actually getting to the pool. I have one, although I admit I took it to Egypt a few years ago and left it there. I haven't used it much, but I have heard really good things about it.
    2024-09-25 10:16 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    2750yds in the pool this morning with a main set of 6x200--ugh. I really dislike 200s. Just short enough to go hard, just long enough for going hard to really hurt. Later today I have a 40' run scheduled and I'm ahppy to report that fall has arrived in southern Illinois!! Big rains on Monday and Tuesday broke the heat and issued in at least two weeks of cooler temps (mid-70s for highs). I love fall!!!!!

yesterday afternoon's bike was outside. It was dry enough by the time I was ready to go, but still tons of debris on the road. It is also chip and seal season. Right as I was leaving for my ride they started the stretch of my road right in front of my house. Loose gravel=Good times!
    2024-09-25 12:57 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Bonobos (pygmy chimpanzees) have pair bonds, but they also solve nearly all conflict in the group through sexual relationships (most commonly female/female units).

Maybe that’s what that guy was trying to do, solve conflicts at work with the bosses’ wives?

2024-09-25 2:35 PM
    in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Based on the number of times the police were called to our department (all three worked in our department at the time), I’d say no conflict was resolved. It was MESSY.

2024-09-25 9:16 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island

Wow...80/20 level 2? I just finished the level 3 plan and it was heavy volume! Be careful in swapping the swims for runs--it may level out in terms of training volume, but the stresses are totally different and you may be headed toward a(nother) overuse injury. I get the swimming thing is an issue. Have you thought about a dryland swim trainer like a Zen8 zwim? Might help with getting in some of that swim training without the logistical issues of actually getting to the pool. I have one, although I admit I took it to Egypt a few years ago and left it there. I haven't used it much, but I have heard really good things about it.

Yeah, I did the 80:20 level 2 half Iron plan for last years 70.3, and I felt it went pretty good (Other than the same issues with swim training) So doing the equivalent for the full seems logical. Really the main difference in volume between the full and half plans is the length of the long run/ride in the 2nd half of the plan. We will see though, like I said the plan always looks nice and easy in week 1. Changes can be made if needed.

I hadn't seen the zen8 thing before, but I do have a set of swim cords and paddles (got them during the covid days when pools were all closed) adding a weight bench to the mix would mimic a zen8 setup. Maybe 1 session of those a week wouldn't be a bad idea. But, does it get logged as a swim, or as strength? In an ideal world I lust after an endless pool for the backyard, but unfortunately haven't had that big lotto win yet.
    2024-09-26 1:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Based on the number of times the police were called to our department (all three worked in our department at the time), I’d say no conflict was resolved. It was MESSY.

Then I guess, what works for bonobos doesn’t work for professors, lesson learned.

2024-09-26 9:00 AM
    in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Love the plan, Andrew.  You're always good at adjusting so I think it'll work great for you.  Don't forget to add in all that physio/strength work in the schedule...coming from experience it adds some TSS/fatigue and also depending on what you do can impact the next days workout (dead legs on the bike after legs day, etc.).  It'll take some trial and error, but be sure to prioritize it.  I also wouldn't worry about the swimming...that's probably a strong point for you anyway.

As for me, getting back at it as slowly but surely get rid of the The Crud (thankfully other than being really tired, it hasn't been a hot mess of nasal or chest stuff) and my ankle/foot recovering.  Testing light jogging on the treadmill for about 3' total this morning during some power walking...no issues so I'll start a couch-to-5K program in the next few days.  I'm really missing running, though right now we're in rain hell and it's looking to stay that way for another week, but at least we're not Florida with a Cat 4 hurricane forecast. 

New Thread
    Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 142

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
    Views: 1059 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland