Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 147

2024-10-22 9:36 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I'm working the rest of the day remotely babysitting a training session happening in Dallas.  Not sure how I got myself roped into this.

Got you beat on stupid training...later today, I have to go to a TWO HOUR training session on how to use my university issued credit card. I've had this card for 14 years and the most I've ever gotten was a list of things I can and cannot buy with it. Most of it is no-brainer stuff. Cue malicious compliance...they said I have to attend. they did not say I had to pay attention. I will be taking my laptop and working on other stuff during this bs.

Morning started with a nice 55' run. Later today, i have an hour ride scheduled and I'm seriously toying with the idea of riding into campus to stack my must-dos. We'll see how the morning goes in terms of getting everything done. Maybe I'll be hitting the trainer for an hour after dinner. (ugh).

2024-10-23 12:35 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Talking to myself! I'm used to it!

Started the day off with 3000 yds in the pool, which went well--even if it was sets of 4x150. I hate 150s...to long to really push it, not long enough to settle into the groove. Today was the maiden voyage with my new running partner. 30' of Z1 was on the plan and it is a beautiful day, so I thought today was the day. She has already been running around in the yard like an insane dog, so I'm not too worried about her stitches (they come out Friday or Monday--whenever we want to take her in to get it done). She did pretty well, although she certainly was not happy about Z1! She pulled a bit and her position of preference seems to be about one foot in front of me, but by the end she was starting to stick by my side and not drag me around. I'm not sure about the leash being clipped around my waist--we'll have to see how that works out over the next weeks. Maybe Purl will bet better and it won't be a problem.
2024-10-23 5:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Talking to myself! I'm used to it!

I find talking to myself is the only way I get to have an intelligent conversation.
2024-10-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. I've got to agree, the only reason to swim 150's is if you're doing a pyramid/ladder workout and it's between a 100 and a 200. Nice work on your off season, continuing to do more than most in season.

@Nicole, Nice to see you back. Sounds like you've been very busy with life the last few weeks. 1 month till surgery is exciting. I bet you can't wait to get past that and start moving forward with yoru recovery.

@Mike, Fat thor may not approve, but coach Mike would be very impressed with 6am gym sessions.

Me, Quiet start to the week. 45min easy zwift Monday, 60min zwift Tuesday, and a PT session rolling round on the yoga mat and lifting heavy things after each.

Wednesday was a day off, as a belated fathers day present for my old man my sister and I took him out to see Eric Idle (from monty python for those who know) Didn't get home till 10:45, and on a school night! that is far to late for me. The show was surprisingly good though, was definitely worth the effort.

An hour on the treadmill and more PT planned for tonight.
2024-10-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by drfoodlove Talking to myself! I'm used to it!
I find talking to myself is the only way I get to have an intelligent conversation.

I hear ya, brother.  Idiots have taken over the world.

Though, I find that my arguments with myself tend to devolve into non-stop insults.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-10-23 7:23 PM
2024-10-23 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog @Gretchen. I've got to agree, the only reason to swim 150's is if you're doing a pyramid/ladder workout and it's between a 100 and a 200. Nice work on your off season, continuing to do more than most in season. @Nicole, Nice to see you back. Sounds like you've been very busy with life the last few weeks. 1 month till surgery is exciting. I bet you can't wait to get past that and start moving forward with yoru recovery. @Mike, Fat thor may not approve, but coach Mike would be very impressed with 6am gym sessions. Me, Quiet start to the week. 45min easy zwift Monday, 60min zwift Tuesday, and a PT session rolling round on the yoga mat and lifting heavy things after each. Wednesday was a day off, as a belated fathers day present for my old man my sister and I took him out to see Eric Idle (from monty python for those who know) Didn't get home till 10:45, and on a school night! that is far to late for me. The show was surprisingly good though, was definitely worth the effort. An hour on the treadmill and more PT planned for tonight.

Eric Idle is a legend.  "Life took over 4 billion years to evolve into you, and you've about 70 more years to enjoy it. Don't just pursue happiness, catch it." 

The original great comedy troupe.  The opening of Holy Grail is the funniest 45 minutes of cinematic comedy ever.  Unfortunately, they ran out of money and we had the 2nd half of the movie, which my daughter says should be replaced with the 2nd half of My Cousin Vinny which would be the greatest movie of all time.

2024-10-23 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Talking to myself! I'm used to it! 

And COME ON!!!  Fat Thor's got four more days to enjoy his off season before he starts complaining non-stop about an off-season cycling training plan posted on BT almost 15 years ago (which he will...don't you worry ). 

2024-10-24 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Dragged ourselves over to the hotel gym this morning...about 35 minutes combination bike/run then some core work and PT stuff.  Golf later today.  We're headed down to Jamestown Colony this morning to be cultured, or something like that. 

Hope all are having a great week!

2024-10-24 11:46 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Gretchen:  yes suitcase guy is a serial killer

@Nicole:  I hate cleaners week - it's chaos in our house trying to get it ready, which I don't understand at as isn't that what we're paying them for???

Hanging out here in Williamsburg - got in a couple of miles walking then we played golf...wife and I playing best-ball shot a 48 and other than one hole we played pretty well.  I feel like I've been in a car accident LOL.  This morning hit the gym at 6 AM (Fat Thor does NOT approve...) and I'm working the rest of the day remotely babysitting a training session happening in Dallas.  Not sure how I got myself roped into this.

Right?! It's ridiculous...though I will say, I would never have a clean house if I didn't have the obligation to clean for my cleaners...so I guess it's a vicious but necessary chaotic cycle.
2024-10-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen - You probably have some ahole to thank for that training...someone likely bought a bunch of crap they weren't supposed to and they had to create this training to make sure they cover their butts.
Glad your new running buddy is starting to get in a groove! It'll be nice to have a partner again I'm sure!

Andrew - You mean with the exception of us re: intelligent conversations, RIGHT?!

Mike - Nice working getting the fam moving! Fat Thor's days are numbered!

Me - I've been walking A LOT this week (compared to last week), which feels really good. Even at work, I've been getting up and moving more. I'm trying to make more meetings in person so I have to walk somewhere. I think that's what I miss the most from pre-COVID. HAVING to walk to meetings. Work has also relaxed a little, so I feel like I'm getting caught up a bit.

Have my pre-op appointment tomorrow, so it's getting really real! Definitely ready to be through it and start getting past this injury. It's hurting me pretty consistently these days, and my right knee has been bothering me a lot too. I'm going to PT on Monday to see her once before my surgery but will likely have her focus on my knee pain since the hip is pretty useless right now.
2024-10-24 4:40 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Big day today. I did 70’ of heavy lifting this morning and then an hour of riding my hilly route this afternoon. That ride was rough.

2024-10-24 8:45 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Andrew - You mean with the exception of us re: intelligent conversations, RIGHT?!

Well that goes without saying.

I was meaning more around the office, and/or having a discussion with the 2 short people that live in my house
2024-10-24 9:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, nice work getting to the hotel gym. Although 35 minutes seems awfully fast to get bike, and run, and gym in You're aiming for super super sprint tris next season?

@Nicole. Good luck for your pre surgery appointment. I know you already know, but make sure you advocate for yourself. Don't just accept everything your told at face value.

As for your knee pain and PT before surgery, I'd guess that it's all connected, problem A causes an imbalance which causes problem B, which leads on to problem C etc... Do what you can, but really the main work is going to come after your op. Any PT now you could just be chasing your tail.

@Gretchen. Big day as always for Dr Gretchen. Your consistency continues to be impressive.

Re cleaning homes before cleaners coming... I live with a 3 and 7 year old... I'm not going to comment about cleaning at all. I think the longest our house has stayed 'clean' over the last 7 years is about 1/2 a day at a time.

Me, 60 minutes easy Z2 jog on the treadmill and a Keehab session on Thursday. Tonight I've got 90 minutes on zwift, with some more spicy intervals... we'll see how that goes.

Have a good weekend BDAS'ers
2024-10-25 8:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew - I think you're probably right re: the knee, but it's hurting bad enough that walking up stairs I need to lean heavily on the railing, so I figure it can't hurt
And definitely will advocate! This is with my PCP, so probably just like, making sure I'm healthy enough for surgery.
Totally get never having a clean house with tiny people running around! That's certainly unavoidable. I don't have that excuse though, so when people see my messy house it's all on me (and my kitty I guess...but mostly me )

I got up and did 25 minutes of strength (lower body and core) and 10 minutes of yoga this morning! Feeling pretty good! It's been a really good week, where I feel like I've had a good balance of fun/relaxation, and I've also been really productive at work. Hoping to keep this productivity through the surgery so I can focus on my recovery and not feel like I'm leaving people hanging.
2024-10-25 10:57 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dirty house? Try having two dogs! Seriously, we forgot how much dog hair they shed!! We have a Narwhal robotic vacuum and it runs every night, sometimes we have to empty the bin twice or three times. Then, it is dead before it can mop. Used to run only at night and everyone was happy, but now it runs all day long and no one is happy with that! Don't talk to me about elevated surfaces though, because those things seem to attract junk on them. In-laws are coming for a visit next weekend to meet the new pups, so there is some incentive to clean things up a bit around the house. We don't have a cleaner--not because we don't want one, but because we can't find one in our area.

2750 yards in the pool this morning and then later this afternoon Purl and I are going to go for a 90' run. I'm working from the office this morning and my wife said Purl did zoomies for 90' straight this morning, then ate, threw up, and zoomed some more. Man, I wish I had puppy energy again!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 147

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1085 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland