Tri4Health
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 25s
Overall Rank = 241/437
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 to fart around and have some coffee, breakfast, and a poop before leaving for the race site at 4:45. Loaded all my gear (or...almost all my gear) and left right on time. Listened to my hype song for the 10' ride and found a nice parking spot.

Once I got to the transition area, I set up all my gear in a great rack spot (on the end of a row, near the bike in/out). That's when I realized I had forgotten my protein shake for the pre-race at the hotel. At least I wasn't like the guy in the swim start who told me about forgetting his bike water bottle at home. He was dumb though, he was only two miles from home and he didn't go back and get it. Didn't turn out to be a problem, but is a good lesson for future races--check your list!!
Event warmup:

Warmup included riding my bike from parking to race venue (~1mi) in my Chacos and then swimming 350yds during the swim warmup period. Also just stayed in the water absorbing the calm before the race meeting because the water was much warmer than the air. Froze my butt off waiting for the race to start. Shout out to the anthem singer, who was great!
Swim
  • 15m 38s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

swim felt great. Was a bit annoyed at the beginning when the people in front of me were moseying to the water from the start line, but once i got in the water I swam a bit to the side and then was pretty in the clear for most of it. Did have some trouble sighting once I was staring right into the sun, but overall it was a good, solid swim.
What would you do differently?:

make sure my goggles are on tighter
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition is LONG--0.55miles, according to Garmin. Got out of the water and popped my wetsuit stripper cherry. That went okay, but not sure it saved me any time, to be honest. Found my shoes in the shoe valet and got them on for the long run. Did a pretty good pace the whole T1 forever. Had to pee for the run. Held it until I got to the grass in transition and then let go--not a great idea. I apparently had to pee alot and there was pee flying off my feet as I ran. It was a bit gross, but yolo!

I would put both feet into my chacos before bending down to tighten them. I would tighten them more--they slipped a bit.
Bike
  • 37m 51s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was amazing. I had so much fun. I ignored my power targets and just let 'er rip. I hope I don't pay for that decision tomorrow. I passed so many people and got to cheer each of them on as I did so. I also yelled my head off at the people in the back half of the race on my way back. /it was a blast. At one point I was passing two dudes, so I yelled out "on your left, boys!: and a lady on the outgoing side let out a little whoop for me. That may become one of my favorite triathlon memories!

nothing--nada--not one thing
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

T2 felt pretty good. This is a huge transition area. Took an extra second to make sure my feet were (relatively) dry before putting on socks for the run. Also took a second to put a towel over my bike hydration bottle because I knew I would want to drink that left over infinit after the race and didn't want it to get too warm. Turns out there was like 1oz left, if that. I guess I hydrated well on the bike!

Probably could switch to speed laces and save myself a bit of time, but other than that, I felt pretty good about T2.
Run
  • 39m 27s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 53s  min/km
Comments:

I suck at running! Here is where I lost first place. For me, it was a good pace and a good overall run. There was no point where I wanted to stop and walk. I felt strong the whole race. At just before the turn around, my stomach did start to get a bit sloshy, but I was able to push through that and finish strong.

Cheered for people, but not as many

not much--run was good for me

If I want to really be competitive, I need to improve my run a lot.
Post race
Warm down:

what do you mean, warm down? Don't you just stop going forward?

Needless to say, I did nothing in the realm of warm down. I drank 16oz of chocolate milk to partially make up for the protein shake I forgot at the hotel (barf--please consider that my penance for such a bone headed mistake!). Then walked to pack up my gear and bike. Hung out a bit looking at results. Walked back to the course to cheer on Janice as she finished. Wandered around a bit waiting for awards. Drank remaining infinit from bike bottles and run bottles (just under one bottle of infinit post-race). Rode my bike back to car (~1mi).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

run--whether it is strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular fitness, or mechanics--or all combined to some extent. I was front of the pack (for my division) for bike and swim (and transitions), but then fell off in the run considerably.

Event comments:

This is an amazing race. The whole weekend is fantastic. Very beginner friendly. Very good course for racing fast and furious. That T1 run sucks, but there are so many people around that it is actually kind of fun (in that enjoy the suffering/embrace the suck kinda way we triathletes tend to like).

Highly recommend GR Tri at any distance (Sprint, super sprint, Oly, HIM all offered over the course of the weekend)!!!

Last updated: 2024-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:38 | 600 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 141/437
Performance:
according to Garmin swam avg of 2:07/100 and 747yds (about 100yds long, but the buoys must have moved, because my sighting was spot on for this race)
Suit: farmer john wetsuit
Course: triangle, single loop, clockwise swim--right into the sun after the last turn
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:51 | 12.4 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 83/437
Wind: None
Course: out and back with a turn around at a park entrace (so, lots of space and easy to turn around relatively flat--a few smaller/shorter hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:27 | 05 kms | 07m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 400/437
12:17; 12:22; 12:07; 11:09 (0.24 mi) Avg HR 164, max 175 (although I don't know where that was!)
Course: flatish out and back with one turn--two long, low grade inclines, but nothing I would call a hill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2024-06-08 1:38 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: Grand Rapids Triathlon

2024-06-09 5:51 AM
in reply to: #5288882

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Triathlon

Great result, Gretchen and your report didn't disappoint.  LOL  That's a great bike split and letting it rip is a blast.

And you're supposed to pee IN the water, not coming out of it!! 

2024-06-10 5:26 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Great result, Gretchen and your report didn't disappoint.  LOL  That's a great bike split and letting it rip is a blast.

And you're supposed to pee IN the water, not coming out of it!! 

well, really, you shouldn't have to pee AT ALL during a 1h45min race! Didn't you go before? (in the water before start at least, like everybody else)

Seriously, congrats on a well executed race plan. Can't wait to read about the HIM
2024-06-10 5:56 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Great job Gretchen!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Legacy Triathlon