Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-05 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2329435

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Subject: RE: Air Tran lost my bike
What a bummer. Hope you get it back soon and get some compensation from them.

2009-08-05 8:53 PM

New user
Sorry to hear your story, VM was a good race.  Good luck trying to get much compensation from Air Tran, with the way airlines are screwing people over these days with fees and all, they are not likely to give away money.

Best way to deal with this (assuming you get your bike bike) is to take it as a lesson learned, and never fly with your bike.  Do tris that are within driving distance (my solution) or use one of the bike shipping companies.  In the end, it's all around less expensive to do it that way.

Good luck!
2009-08-05 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
You're attitude is beyond commendable, but when things like this happen it's usually for a reason. Who knows. Could you have had a mechanical problem that was avoided because you didn't race and/or didn't have your bike when you got back? Won't know, you made the best of a difficult situation.

When I flew to LAF in Austin last year the airline lost my bike (I did get it in time). I did not watch the desk attendant put the luggage tag on it (my bad) and it ended up in the wrong state! Twice, I can't explain.

Time to raise some stink, ask for the entry fee back or as the RD to defer you to next year!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lani
2009-08-05 9:12 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I am so sorry this happened to you, TWICE! I was considering flying my bike to IMCDA this year but when I found out that we were on a tiny plane from Salt Lake to Spokane, I opted to use local shipping. I went with InsideOut Sports. Great experience. All stuff arrived on time, where it was supposed to be, fully assembled. Easy to drop off after the race. I hope your bike arrives soon and good luck at IMAZ!

2009-08-05 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2330764

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Best way to deal with this (assuming you get your bike bike) is to take it as a lesson learned, and never fly with your bike.  Do tris that are within driving distance (my solution) or use one of the bike shipping companies.  In the end, it's all around less expensive to do it that way.

Now that just isn't true, nor is it good advice.

Depending on the airline, shipping and flying are often equivalent in price and flying CAN be cheaper.  Yes, if you choose Delta who charges a ridiculous price for a bike, shipping would be cheaper.

No matter WHAT shipping company you use, your bike is "out of your hands" FAR FAR FAR longer than it typically is when you fly with it.  Any FedEx/UPS/Trisports you can generally plan on not seeing your bike for 10-14 days.  Flying?  99.9% of the time you are away from your bike for less than 12 hours (and really, less than 6-8 unless you have a very very very bad day).

Don't let one bad experience ruin your flying with the bike for life.  I do prefer to drive if at all possible...but to say "never fly with your bike again" is just plain WRONG.
2009-08-05 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Wow, that's the worst lost luggage story I've ever heard!!  I'm so sorry you didn't get to race Vineman.  I think you handled it well though - much better than I would have!!

I hope it turns up soon...

2009-08-05 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry to hear about this....

If you don't get the response form them you are looking for you could always make a youtube video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

2009-08-05 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
HOly Sh*T! All I can say is that if it was me I would have raised ABSOLUTE HELL in the Airport...I would have been livid.

First off....i would go to whatever management office, lawsuit, whatever and FORCE THEM TO PAY FOR THE ENTRY TO THE RACE...it is absolutely unacceptable what happened, and Fu*kin twice?!!!!

Having it happen twice, tells me that they should be reimbursing you for everything on your trip (hotel, cab). And just thinking about all of the countless hours you put in training for the event...wasted. and if they refuse I would consider some kind of lawsuit...i don't even know if that's possible (prob not), I 'm just really mad for you.

I would be camping out Air tran's office or what not until I was reimbursed...it just makes me effin angry just thinking about this...I am not a person who could just sit back and let it blow by, somebody will be paying for this.

I really hope they get you your bike back soon...

Vineman 70.3 is the race I was planing on doing for my first HIM and now I am definitely driving. Like someone else mentioned I think the only time I'll fly is if I am lucky enough make it to Kona.

Edited by meblack 2009-08-05 9:52 PM
2009-08-05 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
I can't even imagine!  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading, hoping that your bike would make it just in time.  I hope you have an awesome race at IMAZ!!

When I finished reading this, I immediately thought of the "United Breaks Guitars" video too (link in previous post).
2009-08-05 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Wow, sorry this happened and I hope you get it all worked out.

For everyone freaking out about flying with their bike, accidents happen.  My goodness, if someone on this site posts that they were in a car accident on the way to a race and their bike was crushed would you then stop travelling with your bike in a car.  What if the bike transport vehicle crashed?  I've been on this site for over a year and this is the first story i've heard of it's kind.  When we start seeing a post like this every week then start to worry.

2009-08-05 11:16 PM

User image

Veteran
, Washington
I'd be contacting these folks for some MAJOR compensation...and fyi, writing trumps phone in all cases...

Deena Houghton
Manager, DOT and consumer affairs
9955 AirTran Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32827
(407) 318-5600
[email protected]

Secondary contact (*):

Alfred J. Smith
Senior vice president – customer service
9955 AirTran Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32827
(407) 318-5600
[email protected]

Chief executive (*):

Robert L. Fornaro
Chief executive officer
9955 AirTran Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32827
(407) 318-5600
[email protected]

2009-08-05 11:30 PM

User image

Vero Beach, FL
That sux they lost your bike. BUT...Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.I hope you get your bike back soon.
2009-08-06 1:36 AM
in reply to: #2329441

Veteran
Boston
holy crap man...way to keep your cool though. That's very respectable. I think many people would have freaked out at the face that the bike came so late and unleashed the fury on lots of people - but having done your best (seems like you expended a LOT of energy to get it by 5:15) and ended up not being able to race, just putting a smile on your face and going to support your friends is very commendable.

I hope something unexpectedly good comes out of this situation for you.
2009-08-06 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
Sorry to hear about this mess and like others you handled it much better I would, I'm still waiting for the day I am black listed from every cable or phone company...

Since people are mentioning alternative shipping methods has anyone tried greyhound? They actually do freight within reasonable size and at rates that you can't even believe. I was supposed to get a hood shipped to me recently from washington state to Georgia. It was carbon so light but big dimensions (ended up being 1" too big so they wouldn't take it). I think it was 35 bucks and if it left on a monday around noon it would have been in by end of day wednesday. You just need to drop it off at the bust station and pick it up at the bus station. I am pretty sure they let you know what buses it will be on and you can do some basic tracking of that buses location. I am not sure how they do insurance on very high dollar items like a bike though.

Could be something for people to look into, I know lots of people use it for large car parts like bumpers and wheels since the rates are pennies on the dollar vs ups.
2009-08-06 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Greyhound doesn't seem like a good idea for shipping bikes. A bike box looks like a bike and I would be nervous for every time the underside gets opened. A large car part is something not most people would want but a nice bike is. It would be pennywise/poundfoolish in my opinion.

I would definitely write those contacts listed above and document everything and let them know you are posting info on high traffic internet forums about how this turns out.
2009-08-06 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2332348

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
losta - 2009-08-06 3:02 PM Greyhound doesn't seem like a good idea for shipping bikes. A bike box looks like a bike and I would be nervous for every time the underside gets opened. A large car part is something not most people would want but a nice bike is. It would be pennywise/poundfoolish in my opinion.

I wouldn't discount it due to perceived theft issues. A bike box looks like a bike at the airport, skis look like skis, golf clubs look like golf clubs. All high dollar items all being put out right in front of people and there is no checking of tags or IDs to get them. No one seems to concerned with it being stolen there?

I remember when I used to go out to Utah to go snowboarding and there was just a 100ft section in the airport where they literally just dumped all the skis, snowboards and golf clubs. Anyone could just walk up at anytime and grab a bunch but I don't believe anyone was overly paranoid about that.

Who is to say that it is a nice bike in the case? I worked at a bike shop for 5 plus years most of the bikes we shipped cost less than the box they were being put in.

I'd say your bike is much more at risk with you sitting on it riding it down the road than it is under a bus. If theft was a problem with these types of shipping methods they wouldn't be in business.

There are notes on the allowable items about organs for transplants if you look at the greyhound information, I think they are up on their security. Plus I just googled bike box and the first 10 links or so I clicked on not one box even slightly resembled a bike.

2009-08-06 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2330790

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

jldicarlo - 2009-08-05 9:14 PM

Now that just isn't true, nor is it good advice.

Depending on the airline, shipping and flying are often equivalent in price and flying CAN be cheaper.  Yes, if you choose Delta who charges a ridiculous price for a bike, shipping would be cheaper.

No matter WHAT shipping company you use, your bike is "out of your hands" FAR FAR FAR longer than it typically is when you fly with it.  Any FedEx/UPS/Trisports you can generally plan on not seeing your bike for 10-14 days.  Flying?  99.9% of the time you are away from your bike for less than 12 hours (and really, less than 6-8 unless you have a very very very bad day).

Don't let one bad experience ruin your flying with the bike for life.  I do prefer to drive if at all possible...but to say "never fly with your bike again" is just plain WRONG.

Case in point: I flew my bike to France with me a couple of years ago. It was cheaper than shipping it (at the time...that may no longer be true). Changed planes twice. My bike got to its destination with no problems both going and coming. There's no way I would have given up an opportunity to train in the Pyrenees simply because I was worried that the airline would lose my bike somehow.

But I am totally impressed with the OPs handling of such an awful situation. What a way to control your attitude (control what you can). And a good lesson to not pack everything in the bike case (which I did for my France trip, too, because I had the coffin sized bike box, so it seemed like a good idea).

I do hope the bike is returned soon and that some compensation is forthcoming.

2009-08-06 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
First of all 'Thank You' to everyone who took the time to read that dissertation and took the time to comment.  The good news is that my bike and I have been successfully re-united and she is fully intact. 

I think the two biggest things that I learned from this whole experience are:

1. Make sure you are properly insured.  One poster recommended a rider on your home owners/renters insurance policy.  This may or may not be required, you would have to check with your insurance company to see what they might reimburse on the basic policy and make a decision based on the value of your bike.  I would have had much less stress had I been confident that I would have been able to replace this bike if it had not shown up at all or was damaged.

2.  If you do have to ship your bike travel three days prior to your race.  Last year for IMAZ I travelled on Thursday for a Sunday race.  This time I travelled on Thursday for a Saturday race.  That extra day gives you so many more options if things go wrong. 

I would still take the bike with me on the plane before I would ship it via FedEx, UPS, etc.   Having said that, I would have to think long and hard prior to signing up for another race where I can't use Inside Out sports, Tri Bike Transports or another company which specializes in this.  And of course I will NEVER take anything of value with me on Air Tran again.

I'll update again if I have any luck with compensation from them.

Thanks again,
Judy
2009-08-06 5:45 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Good to hear that you and your bike are reunited!  As for flying it back after missing the race?  Sure, the damage is already done.   Since I have both a tri-bike and a road bike, I'd probably ship the tri-bike with enough time to confirm delivery (and thump heads if it isn't delivered) before getting on the plane myself. 

2009-08-06 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
Glad to hear you got it back, didn't think it was lost forever but that time waiting is always terrible.
2009-08-06 8:07 PM

User image

Regular
Try Jetblue next time.  We even offered free bike shipping over the summer as a Tour de France promo.  RDU to either JFK or BOS then on to SFO,SAC or OAK whichever worked out the best.

I am immpressed with how you handled yourself.  I hope I would do the same ( I doubt it ).

Good luck

2009-08-06 8:15 PM

Wow. I'm pretty speechless.

I just want to say that I admire how you pulled yourself together to cheer on your friends!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Air Tran lost my bike Rss Feed  

of 3