General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon..with little training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-26 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2816831

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Half Marathon..with little training

Afletcher - 2010-04-26 11:42 AM
chayes - 2010-04-26 1:16 AM Well... no, you shouldn't.
But if you do, plan to severely negative split (do a lot of walking early on) and don't push it too hard.  And be prepared to hurt for the rest of the week.
Good luck! 

Actually, I believe to "negative split" means to run FASTER the second half.  Why suggest the OP walks the first half and negative splits the second half?

I think the message was not to go out too fast and then suffer/struggle over the second half of the race.  It goes along with Jeff Galloway's run/walk philosophy to take walk breaks on a consistent schedule rather that waiting until you need to.  Again, it gets back to knowing what kind of pace you can expect to maintain - something you're not going to know unless you've done something close to the distance in training. 

I started out at a very conservative pace for my race and was able to do a negative split, even with a brief stop at a medical tent on the way back.  I got passed by a lot of people during the first few miles, but then re-passed a lot of them over the last 2-3 miles.

Mark

2010-04-26 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2816016

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I guess I'm in the minority, but I say go for it. I was in a similar position this past fall. I was doing a lot of bike riding, but no running. My wife was doing a half marathon, and at the last minute I decided to do it as well. I've run several in the past, but decided to go slow and aim for 2 hrs. My PR is 1:41, so that meant quite a bit slower. I ended up just under 2 hours and felt fine.

If you start to feel any pain, slow it down, but if you can run a 7:45 for a 10k I'd say you would do ok.
2010-04-26 11:29 AM

Mulberry,IN
I agree with Nate, if you are running a 7:45 10k then you would be fine.
2010-04-26 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You are looking to do 230% of your weekly average over the course of one run.  I think you know the answer to this question.

If you do run it, expect to walk and expect to be in pain during and after the run.  You can probably expect to get injured, though hopefully it won't be a major setback.
2010-04-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2816957

User image

Lafayette, CO
natethomas2000 - 2010-04-26 10:18 AM I guess I'm in the minority, but I say go for it. I was in a similar position this past fall. I was doing a lot of bike riding, but no running. My wife was doing a half marathon, and at the last minute I decided to do it as well. I've run several in the past, but decided to go slow and aim for 2 hrs. My PR is 1:41, so that meant quite a bit slower. I ended up just under 2 hours and felt fine.

If you start to feel any pain, slow it down, but if you can run a 7:45 for a 10k I'd say you would do ok.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here.  You had run several previously.  This poster has not.  You had an idea of how your body reacted to long mileage, he does not.  I think making a decision to last minute run a longer race distance that you've done many of is a lot different than trying your first as a last minute decision.  

2010-04-26 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2816586

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Scout7 - 2010-04-26 8:35 AM OK, since I keep seeing it come up... What does "decent shape" mean? Because to me, running 10 miles total off 2 runs in a week is not really the kind of shape to be attempting 13.1 miles in one shot.

Decent shape would be having enough fitness to extend oneself a bit without suffering serious consequences.

For example: Yesterday I did a 10 mile bike TT, along with riding 6 miles to the event and 6 miles home. Not very extraordinary except I haven't been on a bike in over 8 months. I didn't hold back anything either. Now if I wasn't in decent shape I wouldn't have attempted this, but I am and it didn't have any impact.

Can't really say what kind of shape the OP is in because there is no log. Only the OP would know if doing the race is feasible based on whatever fitness is being maintained.

2010-04-26 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2816957

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

natethomas2000 - 2010-04-26 11:18 AM I guess I'm in the minority, but I say go for it. I was in a similar position this past fall. I was doing a lot of bike riding, but no running. My wife was doing a half marathon, and at the last minute I decided to do it as well. I've run several in the past, but decided to go slow and aim for 2 hrs. My PR is 1:41, so that meant quite a bit slower. I ended up just under 2 hours and felt fine.

actually having run a few in the past you realize from a base standpoint that doesnt put you and the OP in a similar position.  its easy to take it as a given that you can lean on a big base and throw down races with less than optimal training.  however, for someone taking a stab at the distance the first time and it is foreign to them, there is a much more risk and that base is not there to lean on.

2010-04-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2817140

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
jszat - 2010-04-26 11:18 AM

natethomas2000 - 2010-04-26 11:18 AM I guess I'm in the minority, but I say go for it. I was in a similar position this past fall. I was doing a lot of bike riding, but no running. My wife was doing a half marathon, and at the last minute I decided to do it as well. I've run several in the past, but decided to go slow and aim for 2 hrs. My PR is 1:41, so that meant quite a bit slower. I ended up just under 2 hours and felt fine.

actually having run a few in the past you realize from a base standpoint that doesnt put you and the OP in a similar position.  its easy to take it as a given that you can lean on a big base and throw down races with less than optimal training.  however, for someone taking a stab at the distance the first time and it is foreign to them, there is a much more risk and that base is not there to lean on.

plus, why would you want to risk having your first time be a bad experience.  Besides the physical risk of injury the overall experience could taint his view of the distance and make him hate ever doing another one.  Races should be fun, whether you're pushing yourself for a new PR or trying to win it overall.  If you don't enjoy it, you're not likely to continue to do it, especially if your memory of your first time was bad.
2010-04-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2816131

User image

Elite
far northern CA

moTRIvated - 2010-04-26 4:19 AM Thank you to everyone for your responses. I was hoping your feedback would be 100% go or no go, but it seems to be split. Give u guys a little more information. I was actually targeting this summer to complete my 1st HIM. However, 8 months ago my and I found out that our first child eason her way. I pushed the HIM out to next summer and just signed up for an OLY in Sept. What is my reason for running this... To add HM to my list of endurance events. If I run I have no intention of racing hard, it would be more of a 9-10 min/mile jog. One of those just to say I did it races.

So, are you currently pregnant????  Or are you refering to last year????  If you are currently pregnant, then I would say no to the half mary if you have only been running twice per week.  I ran while I was pregnant so I know that it is possible but a half mary will hurt and leave you with little energy to give birth to a baby!  Please tell me I read this wrong.

If you are not pregnant, I still would not do the half mary.  Do a 10K if you want to enjoy the race atmosphere.

2010-04-26 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2816586

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, Il (Chicagoland)
Scout7 - 2010-04-26 9:35 AM OK, since I keep seeing it come up... What does "decent shape" mean? Because to me, running 10 miles total off 2 runs in a week is not really the kind of shape to be attempting 13.1 miles in one shot.

I agree.  Doing 2 5milers a week really is nothing like a HM.  Even doing an Oly tri is not the same.  While an Oly might give you enough of a cardio base, it is still not the same as pounding out 13.1 miles running.

I think running a HM without working up the run miles to it will leave you very very sore.  If you believe in the 10% rule, you would actually be doing a  262% increase going from 5m to 13.1m.  Sounds like a great way to get injured, regardless if you have a cardio to actually do it.  Remember training to run long distances does more than just increase your cardio - it also affects muscles, skeleton and connecting tissue.

If you do the HM, do a walk/run to reduce the pounding on your legs. 
2010-04-26 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Once again, we really don't know what kind of longer term training the OP has done. We know that he is only currently running 10 miles/week. We don't know how long he's been doing that or how much of an accumulated lifetime base he has. We don't know his age or weight either. Young lightweight people may be able to get away doing things that older, heavier people can't. If we can assume he trained more when he was prepping for olys, maybe the current mileage is enough to maintain his fitness.

I typically don't do races with such little training, but it's something I have done. Maybe 3-4 years ago I did a HM with only two weeks of training after having taken the preceeding six weeks completely off, and prior to that I had not been doing a whole lot. The main difference is I had done several HMs and full marathons before, and I had a good idea of how to pace myself according to the limited fitness I had at race time.

If the guy has decent fitness, doing a HM should not be so crippling that he'll be sidelined for more than a day or two.

2010-04-26 2:51 PM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
Don't do it. 10mpw isn't going to cut it. Sure, you can finish...probably in a decent time (2:10-2:20) as well. However, if you just want to say "I ran 13.1 miles" work up to that in a long run. My last Thursday long run was 11 miles and my wife told me that I should run this Half that's in Wichita Sunday (yesterday, 4/25). While I could have done it, and would have a decent time (1:45-1:50), I didn't see the need to say I had done it...

Again, YMMV however.

Kevin
2010-04-26 3:03 PM

User image

Master
I'm not much of a runner so I don't want to give you advise based on fitness but if the prize waiting at the end was beer, a girl and glory I would do it, but if I was going home to a pregnant wife I would pass.

Just speaking from experience
2010-04-26 4:01 PM

Expert
FWIW i ran my first 13.1 going from couch to 13.1 in around 6 weeks. My total running volume at the point of the race was probably around 25 miles...total. My longest run was the weekend before and was 7.5.
I would not recomend this to everyone, but for ME it worked and i did not get injured.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon..with little training Rss Feed  

of 2