BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 240

2012-02-16 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1137328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!

Suzie and Briana you both are stronger then me.  I have said many times no more committees and yet I somehow find myself on another one.  I loved the work I have done on the committees but the rewards are not as rewarding as when you do something for yourself and you see how much you have accomplished.

Maria, we all have those days when we don't feel well.  You attempted the run and that is all that matters.  You will get that mile in when you are healthy.

Kathy

2012-02-16 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!
I guess I should clarify my earlier post....Should have said, Note to self, Don't of Suzie.  Sorry
2012-02-16 2:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Billy - you still didn't get it right. ROFL
2012-02-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4051255

Regular
California

Injury So I trained fairly hard, did my HM and all was good. I ran once last week after the race and was just taking it easy. This week I was to restart training for the next race, did 6 miles on monday, felt good, went out for an easy 8 miles last night.

Legs feeling good, all is well...I'm looking for a nice slow 9mpm pace all the way. At mile 2 I feel a dull ache right above my right ankle (on the outside). I've felt various muscle/joint aches, nothing ever serious, so I take note and continue on. Nearing mile 4 its now getting worse....I stop for a traffic light and wait my turn to cross. I see the green light and start to go and BAM! its now a sharp pain and I am limping!

I try to walk it off, rub some dirt on it, nothing works...

I finally give in and make the call of shame, and the wife comes to rescue me.

From what I've googled it appears it may be Peroneal tendonitis. It bothered me all night, everytime I moved my foot, I felt it. Today it was very sore to start but as I limped along it loosened up a bit. Not sure how long I'll be sidelined, but IT SUCKS! ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

2012-02-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4051391

User image

Walla Walla

Billy - thanks I think.

LRR - that explains it.

Race reports and Mantras are the coolest thing ever.  I like "I can do anything for twelve minutes" and I also like running an inventory of what is going well - breathing, check; no cramping, check; sunshine, check; someone just smiled at me, check; I'm just happy that I'm able to be DOING THIS!, ubercheck.

Jeff - Try a tennis ball.  I crouch down on all fours and put a tennis ball between the place that hurts and the floor and roll it around until I find the right spot. Then I push hard and don't stop until the muscle releases.  You will know if it is helping because it will hurt "good" instead of hurting bad. It also helps if you wiggle it a bit around the right spot while you keep the pressure constant - like Russian massage.  It kind of confuses the muscle. I keep a tennis ball in my breifcase.  It worries my clients.

2012-02-16 3:41 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
That really sucks Jeff. Take the tIme off now to get it right. I tried to run through an injury last fall and ended up increasing the amount of time I eventually had to take off. Now every little leg twinge I get terrifies me.

2012-02-16 3:41 PM

Regular

Suzie: did you say you were an attorney (or did I mix people and professions up somehow?) a tennis ball would worry me also unless accompanied by a tennis racket or dog with a wagging tail...

Jeff: I think a few NSAIDs may com in handy, propping up your foot and if it does not improve with ice etc over the next few days; a visit to your orthopod may be in order.  A lot of these things come and go...  Was your HIM only a week ago?  

Suzie and Kathy:  I am also going to spring clean my commitments and get rid of the extraneous unnecessary things.  You have inspired me.  When I turned 40 I told everyone I only wanted experiences anymore, not material things.  Off course I had to get a few items to get into triathlon but now that I am stocked up I am going to trim the excess stuff not having to do with tri....  Thanks for making me think of this

2012-02-16 4:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Jeff. - off to the doc my friend. Hope it's tendinitis - get some steroids and rock on. But you need to verify its not a stress fracture or something else. Go get it checked and begin healing. In the interim - ice ice baby.
2012-02-16 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
I didn't get it right because it must be getting removed by the mods!
2012-02-16 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4051517

Regular
California
pedmpa - 2012-02-16 1:41 PM

Jeff: I think a few NSAIDs may com in handy, propping up your foot and if it does not improve with ice etc over the next few days; a visit to your orthopod may be in order.  A lot of these things come and go...  Was your HIM only a week ago? 

My HM was on the 5th.

Dr appt tonight, 7pm....we'll see what they say.

2012-02-16 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4051832

Regular
pace13 - 2012-02-16 7:32 PM
pedmpa - 2012-02-16 1:41 PM

My HM was on the 5th.

Dr appt tonight, 7pm....we'll see what they say.

smart move!  if its nothing you know and you can relax, if it's something you can do something about it, rest, meds, PT or any other combination of treatments

2012-02-17 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4051450

User image

Expert
Suzie Weathermon - 2012-02-16 3:23 PM

I keep a tennis ball in my breifcase.  It worries my clients.

I keep a tennis ball in my desk at work.  It worries my co-workers as well.  

2012-02-17 8:43 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

uh oh... Jeff...sorry about the soreness/injury/doctors thingie and hope it is nothing for ya...... but... on the topic of "injuries"...

How do you know about shin splints??  Starting to have this little bit of annoyance in my right shin area...

2012-02-17 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4052570

Regular
California

UPDATE: got to the Dr last night, xrays neg so no stress fracture YAY!

strained ligament in my ankle, now in a walking boot for a week or so with some decent meds to take along the way.

estimated 2 - 4 week recovery period.

March 25th HM is probaably out at this point

ps - I don't know much about shin splints, sorry....

2012-02-17 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4052579

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia
pace13 - 2012-02-17 8:47 AM

UPDATE: got to the Dr last night, xrays neg so no stress fracture YAY!

strained ligament in my ankle, now in a walking boot for a week or so with some decent meds to take along the way.

estimated 2 - 4 week recovery period.

March 25th HM is probaably out at this point

ps - I don't know much about shin splints, sorry....

Man... glad about no fracture.... sorry for your "delay" and potential missed event... Heal up and rock the next one!!

M.

2012-02-17 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Shin splints, pain in the butt,(leg), but you can train through them and actually heal while training.  What I did was order me a sleeve for my shin from roadrunnersports.com.  The sleeve wraps around the shin area with 2 pads that apply pressure to each side of the shin.  This pressure actually does help.  I would wear it only when running.  Before I started to run, I would stretch my shin area welll before starting the run.  Very simple to do.  Stand with your heels on the edge of whatever with your toes elevated about 2 to 3 inches higher than your heel.  Lean forward while keeping your heel and your toes firmly on the solid surface.  I would do this for about 2-3 minutes on each leg before running.  After running, Ice Ice Baby!  Should see some improvement in about a week and probably complete healing in a few weeks.  Of course I am no doctor, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express before.

2012-02-17 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jeff, so glad to hear that you did go to the doctor and that it wasn't a fracture.  I know you are bummed, but it could have been worse and maybe taking these few days off from running will help you in other ways.

I keep a tennis ball in my car as when the hip/butt was spasm I would use the tennis ball to relieve the pressure and since it was on my right side driving was difficult till I used the tennis ball.  I also used it at home and it is hard to do as the dog keeps thinking I was playing with her by hiding the ball.

2012-02-17 4:19 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area

Hey all, I have been silent for a long time but still look here from time to time.  Glad to see everyone and some new people are still around.  Well I took a giant step and got a spot in the Vineman 70.3.  I was so happy when I signed up.  Now reality is setting in.... Never done a 70.3 before.  I am just looking to finish in the time limit (doesnt everyone say that).  I found a pretty easy to follow training plan on the Tri Newbie site.  But with that said, I am sure I will be here with a lot of questions like last year and I am always open to advice.  I finally bought a road bike too.  Oh man I will never ride the mountain bike again!

Race date is July 15th.  Starting dedicated training plan on March 11th. 

See Ya!

2012-02-17 8:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Monte - shin splints can be from several items. First question - how old are your shoes? We're they professionally fit? How much added mileage how you been tacking on each week? How much added added time each week on your runs? No more that 10% each week. Especially on the runs. A lot of injury possibilities - shin splints is one. Lena has battled them - she should also weigh in on this one.
2012-02-17 8:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Graham - awesome. I have heard great things about Vineman. Stay focused on the plan. Rock on!!!
2012-02-18 7:37 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Billy/Bryan... thanks for the feedback on the shin splints... Not even entirely sure it is, but trying to be proactive.

I had some "discomfort" and a bruise appeared on my shin, that i do not remember hitting... Bruise is now going away.... so was thinking I may have done a minor tear.. or that this is how shin splints work.  still a bit tender inside, so will lay off road for a day or two, hit eliptical.. if continues will try Billy's advice (or Lena's) or hit DR.

Bryan, I went and got proffessionally fitted and bought some 1 month old Brooks, Ghost 4's.  Probably have 30 miles on them according to my log.  Results from fitting... "normal/good weight distribution/balance".. "Good/Normal arches"... "Very straight runner, No pronation".....

May still be a bit heavy for my legs to take the pounding, or, I may be being a bit of a "hypo" I would say I have overtrained/overadded in my training, but in the running the least.

Ugh.. guess we will know more next run. 

M.

2012-02-18 9:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
Monte - shoes sounds good - fit sounds good. Mileage/duration increase is where we should focus. How many miles/time per week have you added over that last 10 weeks or so? Now tell the truth Monte - this is a great learning experience for everyone.

When you add more than 10% to swimming - you are okay unless your shoulders squawk. More than 10% to cycling - I can deal with that but there will probably be some pains. More than 10% to running is dangerous - think of the pounding your legs are taking with every step. Especially with somewhere in the ballpark of 800-1000 strides per mile for most of us. Estimating impact at 8 times your body weight gives you an idea of the pounds of force even a few miles puts on your legs. Cycling is a weight bearing exercise so it is much less impactful. Questions???

Monte - what has your running increase been over 10 weeks?
2012-02-18 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I definitely can add to the shin splints advice.... been there, done that, got the T-shirt, so to speak really short on time right now, as it's my birthday weekend and Damon's family is coming over to hang out, but will try to post tonight
2012-02-19 6:49 AM
in reply to: #4054352

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

left.right.repeat - 2012-02-18 9:21 AM Monte - shoes sounds good - fit sounds good. Mileage/duration increase is where we should focus. How many miles/time per week have you added over that last 10 weeks or so? Now tell the truth Monte - this is a great learning experience for everyone.

When you add more than 10% to swimming - you are okay unless your shoulders squawk. More than 10% to cycling - I can deal with that but there will probably be some pains. More than 10% to running is dangerous - think of the pounding your legs are taking with every step. Especially with somewhere in the ballpark of 800-1000 strides per mile for most of us. Estimating impact at 8 times your body weight gives you an idea of the pounds of force even a few miles puts on your legs. Cycling is a weight bearing exercise so it is much less impactful. Questions???

Monte - what has your running increase been over 10 weeks?

Hmmm.. had to go back and look at all logs from Jan 9th till now.  Started with walking between 1.2 and 2.5 miles at around 15 minute pace...(all outside).. moved into some walk jog.. roughly same distances..(mix outdoor and treadmill)... but by week 3 think I may have done first jog of mile (treadmill).. then some interval (treadmill) around week 5 or so I believe did first 5K no walk on treadmill... then back to some interval..all treadmill i think... then have stayed around 1.5 to 3 miles.. .. first noticed leg on a 2.5 run/walk with dog outside.  (our neighborhood has no flat.. you are either up or down)  Did push up to a 4. something run walk on treadmill probably around week 6-7...

I have increased harder in the swim and bike for sure, but it does look like I have been bouncing around increases that are greater than 10% on the run.  Seems a bit hard to judge with the interval/runwalk stuff I have been doing.

Did Eliptical yesterday and had no pain..(have been trying to listen to body.. take days off when needed..and push a bit when feel really good)

Have lost between 15-20lbs since Jan 9th.

Besides general soreness, only "locational" pain has been right shin.

Monte.. PS.. Bryan..you probably looked at my logs and can tell me the increases better than i can.. Ha..

2012-02-19 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I apologize for being MIA! I have quite a bit of catching up to do, but wanted to weigh in on Monte's question about shin splints...

Monte...15-20lbs down since Jan 9? first of all, CONGRATS! Secondly.. i hate you! lol Why is it so easy for men to lose weight? My husband starts eating smaller portions and bam! loses weight. GAH!

Ok, shin splints.. I had them for years before my first son (now 6) was born. When he was born and I started running again, I developed a huge inflammation (dr thought a fracture, MRI didn't confirm, thankfully)... that's when I discovered Jeff Galloway. I have been running using his method ever since and I have to say, shin splints and a few far and between (and very small) annoyances now! So if you aren't familiar with JG method of running, i would highly recommend checking out his site (www.jeffgalloway.com) and reading on the philosophy behind walk breaks. I know LRR is a huge proponent of this as well, so if he already mentioned it, I apologize That's the first thing....

then, as Billy mentioned, compression sleeves/socks. Zensah has them, CEP has them, lots of companies have them, they work in a fantastic way! Here is an example of one: http://www.zensah.com/womens-running-leg-sleeve.htmlThey aren't necessarily cheap (sometimes Ebay has some deals), but worth it. When I have any kind of discomfort, I just pop one on (incidentally, my right leg is the one with issues, as well) and it takes care of any pain/annoyance I feel. Compression socks are AWESOME! I have a few pairs of these guys (they had a Active Schwaggle with 50% off, so I took the plunge): http://www.slstri.com/compression-socks,I wore the white socks during the bike and run of my half-ironman and it was great! my feet and legs were completely comfortable during what turned out to be a crazy torturous race (read my RR if you want a good laugh).

Then, I highly highly highly recommend an Active Wrap for icing: http://activewrap.com/products/knee/It comes with removable gel pads and can be used for hot or cold therapy. The wrap is very easy to wear on the go (work, car, etc) and is made well. The knee one is the one you'd want for your shin. I originally got that one for the shin and since then, I have one for my ankle and one for my lower back. It's my line of defense against anything life brings lol Also, if you use flexible spending account at work, these things are eligible for reimbursement Shop around for deals, I have found (twice!) that of all places, bodybuilding.com has the best prices.. the box always comes packed with some weird muscle-popping supplement sample you can also order extra gel packs (in case you are able to keep them in the freezer at work, for example), but it comes with two, so you wear one and one is always in the freezer. If you decide to use it for heat, carefully read instructions, microwave time is apparently very short, I found out the hard way when one exploded all over my poor microwave.. I'm sure there are other sports wraps you can use, but i found this one to work the best. I tried the ones from Walgreens that have the two hard pads (sticks?) that I guess Billy talks about, but those only caused more pain for me and I could never get used to them. Compression and icing is my solution.

next, rest.... ok, now, i'll say this. Some pain is ok and even normal. You'll have muscle aches and all that, and to some degree, it's ok and should be there, but there is a fine line between a normal pain after a 20 miler and a shin pain that should not be ignored. You have to be the judge of that.. When in doubt, rest. It's early in the season, you can recover from lost time, but if you have persistent pain that you feel is not normal, better take a few days off than hurt yourself further and lose much more time if a severe problem develops.

I would say, try running a little less and swimming more, if you can, just for a few days... Try compression and icing. if compression sleeve and icing doesn't relieve your pain, find a sports chiropractor (good either way). I found one last year and he has kept me running even when I was seriously overtraining and annoying my legs. Somebody who can do ART (active release therapy) would be ideal, but even just regular stim to break up the scar tissue (that you don't even know is there) is very, very helpful!

If you have any other questions, shoot! I hope this (novel) was helpful
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  

of 240