BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 240

2012-02-19 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1137328

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!
Lena - excellent advice. Walgreens has a sleeve with freezings gel sacks too. Those are the one I have used. I love the Velcro wraps that hold everything in place.

Monte - maybe a bit aggressive on the distance. As far as how to calculate - it is total distance covered. Running or walking. Take your time - its a long lifetime. You will be running 10 miles plus before you know it.

2012-02-19 9:18 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!

Bill and Lena... thank you much for all the advice and information on the sleeves and stuff..  I think I will invest in one and use just to be safe...  Also.. I have never iced or anything after any workouts, so may need to add that to my list of to do's..(Lena.. sorry about the weight... no beer, working out, no fried foods.. seem to be enough for me to shed that first 15 .. I do, also, believe that men have an unfair advantage for quick weight loss)

The good news, I think, is that I have never had enought discomfort to reach for any advil or tylenol..

Bryan... Thanks for the advice, feedback, coaching... It helps.. definitely helps...  I can overly focus at times, and as an "ex-athlete" probably still think in my mind that I am in a 21 year olds body...It seems that the heart and lungs remember better than the bones and muscles.. ha..

I guess that I have been pushing, subconsciously, to hit an OLY and HIM in year one... kinda aggressive, huh?  I was/am just a bit afraid that after all this training/work that I won't make it into next year and wanted to use this "in shape" period to do it "all".. in case I slip or lose my drive and focus...

I still haven't had a finish line of any type at this point, even tho I wanted to do a 5k last week,(kids soccer and volleyball made that an impossibility) so I don't have the "rewards" to latch onto or drive me further... its all hypothetical and work work work... (i do feel better, look better, etc, which is its own reward, but I guess you know what i kinda mean)  I guess i would fall more into the competer group than completer group if that makes sense..

I will say I am enjoying this all,.. love all my team mates/mentor group...and am still working my way thru the old post..

Now wondering a bit what has happened to some of those great personalities... maybe i will find out by continuing to read..

Sorry for long post.

Monte

2012-02-19 1:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Monte - you undoubtedly remember "no pain no gain". Forget that. Now. That's why most people QUiT. Very few people like pain over. Long period of time. I like you thought I was still 21 but I am a devout coward so I took it easy. And am still here because of it. A lot of people here at BT - even mentors - fall out after a short time. I can't do that. I wanna keep playing. I love finish lines, food, beer and bling (medals).

Keep working. By the way - a HIM in your first year with no base is aggressive - doable but not my first choice. I am all over a HiM in year 2 when you come from no base - you are going to be here a while. Don't be in a big hurry.
2012-02-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4055510

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Hey Bill,  I'm ann, newish to the group.  Kudos on the weight loss!!  Awesome!  That also changes the way you move (you are lighter!!)so that could be a part of the equation with regard to the pain.  You already got alot of great advice.  I too need to make time to ice.  I hate it!!

With regards to the HIM,  I rushed into one last year and now I am going backwards.  I finished but barely with several days of pain afterward.  This year I am building base doing some sprints and Olys and hoping to do a more respectable HIM next year.  I figure I can get the endurance back but I need to work on efficiency and hopefully increase my bike and run splits.  Think long term.  We want to stay fit forever, not just this year!!

Have a great day!!

av

2012-02-19 2:51 PM

Uxbridge

Lena your advice above is so wise. I love Jeff Galloway...and just so you all know...many very FAST runners use galloway!!!

I have a finishline!!!!! I RAN a 10 mile road race today!!!! I am so psyched. It has been a year since my knee surgery and I really ran today!!!!!I ate a huge burrito and had a beer after. It helps me stay with the motto..."I eat therefore I train"!!!!!I will write a race report after a nap!!!!

2012-02-19 3:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ann is a wise woman. Good advice.

Congrats Marianne. I will update page 1. Welcome home.

2012-02-19 5:49 PM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Marianne,.. congrats on the run!!  way cool... you rock..

Bryan..Ann..and all... Thanks.. great advice.. keep me grounded...... will Try my best to work for long term.. base building.. smaller steps..form..... baby steps...will try....Promise...

did i say "ugh" yet!! lol.... I think i need a finish line... no matter how small.. Ha...

Leg feels great after just doing eliptical yesterday... may just do that and dreadmill this week...

2012-02-19 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lena, thanks for the link for the active wrap. Do you think the back one would be good for the hamstring? Also I read your HIM race report and all I can say is WOW! Way to hang in there and looked for the positive.Mav, great job on your run.Monte, I think we all get excited and just want to tackle everything, just like the start of a race. We need to learn to start out slow and build up along the way. Great job on the weight loss!
2012-02-19 8:08 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley
Finish line.  I did a dualathlon Run5K,bike 20K,Run5K   Had the fastest time on the first run and probably the last run but the bike was slow.  Ended up 4th and not sure on the time. I am waiting for the results to come out.
2012-02-19 8:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Awesome job Phil - I added the finish
2012-02-20 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Graham, good luck on the Vineman. I thought about doing that one, given the Sonoma Valley and all it offers in the way of varietals (that's grapes/wine to you beer slugs). Be sure and post a race report.

I am quietly hiding in the corner on the "no HIM the first year comment"... as Briana can attest, my very first triathlon was a half-iron. But before anybody goes off on me (yeah, I already heard all the "you're nuts!" responses), that was not the plan. I had signed up for the sprint at LoneStar in 2010. The sprint and Oly were scheduled for Saturday and the Half for Sunday. Briana and some other friends of ours were doing the half. So - Friday night a storm rolls in with 75 mph winds and knocks down EVERYTHING. Saturday morning, the bay was still white-capping. The swim was initially delayed 15 minutes and then canceled entirely. The race director decided on a duathlon with a time trial start. When it looked more like a shotgun start, and the wind still blowing, I opted out completely. In the time it took to walk by bike back to my truck, two ambulances were out and back in with patients, so I felt like my decision was vindicated.

On the way back to drop off my stuff before we met a bunch of other BTers for lunch, I blurted out "I wonder if they have any slots open for tomorrow?" After the obligatory comments, we talked through it - I was already doing that distance in the pool, I had been doing centuries for 3 years, and I could always walk whatever part of the run I needed to. So we went back and asked. Not only did they have slots, I got full credit for my sprint and was charged the early fee on the half. I will just say (now) for me that this was a good choice. Given the right amount of training, it works... Not that I would necessarily recommend it.

Another century in the books Sunday. #2 of the 12 centuries in 12 months of 2012...

2012-02-20 9:11 AM

User image

Expert

Monte - oh how I relate to the soccer/volleyball comment.  And on the one weekend (the one that just passed) that I actually had TIME to get in a long ride outside, what does the weather do?  It turned cold and it rained ALL day.  Arrrggghhh.  This coming weekend I'll be in Denver for volleyball so workouts will be limited there to the hotel workout room.

Mav - CONGRATS on the 10 miler race!!!!  Wahoo for running!

Compression socks - love, love, love!  I wear mine after every long bike ride and after runs over 90 minutes.  I've worn them to church (under pants of course) and to the soccer fields and on the plane when we flew to Hawaii this past summer.  People can make fun of me all they want.  I don't care.  And mine are hot pink.  

As far as doing a HIM the first year - yeah, I would agree to take it slow and build up to that.  Unless, like in Patrick's case, you have the base in swimming and biking because as he said, you can always walk the "run" part.  It was my 3rd year of tris before I did a HIM.

2012-02-20 9:11 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Way to go Phil... whoo hoo... !!

Pat... first tri a HIM... too funny... but, as you said, you had built a pretty darn good base..

Anyhoo.... My REAL intentions have been to do a HIM in 2013 in Spring... My intentions only moved a bit due to the "improvements" I have been experiencing... I think waiting is the Right thing to do.. Also.. keeps some goals on the Horizon..

Thanks for all the Congrats on the weight loss!!  Kinda funny, as it is mostly a Byproduct of all this work, better eating habits.. and NO BEER... (if you remember my earliest posts.. this was gonna be a Love I was going to have to live without)  Started Jan9th at 236.. Now sitting at around 215..with a "fighting weight" in my mind of 198 by May 19th.. (first tri).. If i get there great.. if not... great too..I should be able to wear some clothes I had "retired" to the top shelf anyway...

Another note... took this morning off (wake up at 5am.. take inventory of body) due to tight calf and sore upper body from strength training...sooo.. not pushing when body feels "off"....

Suzie... Maria... How is it going??

M.

2012-02-20 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4056430

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia
bar92 - 2012-02-20 9:11 AM

Monte - oh how I relate to the soccer/volleyball comment.  And on the one weekend (the one that just passed) that I actually had TIME to get in a long ride outside, what does the weather do?  It turned cold and it rained ALL day.  Arrrggghhh.  This coming weekend I'll be in Denver for volleyball so workouts will be limited there to the hotel workout room.

Mav - CONGRATS on the 10 miler race!!!!  Wahoo for running!

Compression socks - love, love, love!  I wear mine after every long bike ride and after runs over 90 minutes.  I've worn them to church (under pants of course) and to the soccer fields and on the plane when we flew to Hawaii this past summer.  People can make fun of me all they want.  I don't care.  And mine are hot pink.  

As far as doing a HIM the first year - yeah, I would agree to take it slow and build up to that.  Unless, like in Patrick's case, you have the base in swimming and biking because as he said, you can always walk the "run" part.  It was my 3rd year of tris before I did a HIM.

Briana, Ha.. the Missus had to handle Volleyball in Jackson, Ms... and I was doing soccer tourney here in Atlanta... ain't it a riot??  Next stop... Kansas City for Volleyball... Then Orlando.. and so on.....Same weather here this weekend when there was "no sports".. rain..cold rain..

Compression socks... hmmmm ... now that is gonna make me feel a bit weird.. but you all seem to swear by them... soooo... off with ego... on with socks... LMAO..

2012-02-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4055896

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
krazytallchick - 2012-02-19 7:40 PM

Lena, thanks for the link for the active wrap. Do you think the back one would be good for the hamstring? Also I read your HIM race report and all I can say is WOW! Way to hang in there and looked for the positive.
thank you for the compliments it was a very weird day hehe

I would suggest getting the knee one for your hammie. It looks bent in the picture, but i have used it mmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaannnny times on my shin and it's fine. The back one would work, too, but it's a little bigger.

hth..
2012-02-20 10:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Patrick - you had. Great base with the biking especially and the swim and even YOU had not planned it. You adapted and improvised. That make sense.

My first half was 14 months after my first Tri. About 18 months into working out.

I know some people that have done and Ironman as their first - I just think that makes up a lot of the one and done crowd. If you ease into it, it is much more enjoyable and you get to live the journey.

2012-02-20 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4056574

User image

Veteran
Austin

left.right.repeat - 2012-02-20 10:33 AM Patrick - you had. Great base with the biking especially and the swim and even YOU had not planned it. You adapted and improvised. That make sense.

My first half was 14 months after my first Tri. About 18 months into working out.

I know some people that have done and Ironman as their first - I just think that makes up a lot of the one and done crowd. If you ease into it, it is much more enjoyable and you get to live the journey.

I would tend to agree. If you want to do one just so you can say you did, that's going to happen that way. I don't think those are the folks that truly appreciate the triathlon lifestyle... because it IS a lifestyle. We make the change in our eating habits, our exercise habits, our thought processes change from "great - another TV show I can watch" to "well, I can get on the trainer to watch this show, and not waste an hour" -- yes we are kinda warped, but in a good way.

As far as the compression is concerned, I have some of the long socks, but when I was at IMFL last year, I talked to a vendor there. I ended up buying a set of calf sleeves and a set of quad sleeves. After finishing the Ironman and a nice shower, I climbed into those and they didn't come off until the shower late the next day. Made a huge difference in the recovery... and no, they are NOT pink!

2012-02-20 6:03 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley

Malsup-- Good call on the day off. One of the hardest things for me to do when I am training.

I have compression pants and love them. I need to get some socks too.

Today ran 10 miles @ 7:23 pace. Hope to get 5 days of some type of training this week. Havent decided if I am going to do the HIM in oceanside yet since i havent been training.

Think I have finally found my reason to start training again. I want to do Boston again and go under 3hrs for the marathon. I am think Long Beach Mar. in oct. Also I getting tired of my athletes kicking my butt on the long runs. I know they will have the speed but long days should still be mine. Also our tri club has a olympic dist race in may and the pres. is in great shape now and said something I am taking as a challange.

2012-02-20 7:32 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
So I've been putting in some good miles getting ready for my marathon in May.  I've had some pains that I've worked through, and had a great 10 mile run on Saturday, with no pain, and a really nice comfortable 4 miles yesterday morning.  No pain at all, and the legs felt great.  Late last night I noticed a numbness in the arch of my left foot, which has persisted through today.  It's not really painful, but there is a definite discomfort there.  I'm worried it's plantar faceitis (sp), although it's not painful and I ran three miles on it tonight without trouble.  Any advice for dealing with it?  I saw something about taping with KT Tape, and am thinking of trying that.  I really don't want to fall off on the marathon prep, as it's been going so well.

Edited by irishod 2012-02-20 7:33 PM
2012-02-20 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4057304

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia
phildampier - 2012-02-20 6:03 PM

Malsup-- Good call on the day off. One of the hardest things for me to do when I am training.

I have compression pants and love them. I need to get some socks too.

Today ran 10 miles @ 7:23 pace. Hope to get 5 days of some type of training this week. Havent decided if I am going to do the HIM in oceanside yet since i havent been training.

Think I have finally found my reason to start training again. I want to do Boston again and go under 3hrs for the marathon. I am think Long Beach Mar. in oct. Also I getting tired of my athletes kicking my butt on the long runs. I know they will have the speed but long days should still be mine. Also our tri club has a olympic dist race in may and the pres. is in great shape now and said something I am taking as a challange.

Thanks Phil... feel kinda crummy at the end of the day tho, without the workout!!

Now... Go Get Em!!!  Sounds to me like you have been motivated from a variety of sources!!.. whoo hoo... nothing like a bit of challenge/testoterone.... Own the long days!!! Did I say Whoo Hoo yet?  Feeling you get some fire gives me fire right back!!

Go Phil Go....

2012-02-20 8:36 PM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Irishod... can't help ya with your pains.. but you are rocking some running in my book... wish I was ready to go 10 miles....!!  Don't hurt yourself...

2012-02-21 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

You probably already know this, and Bryan and Briana can probably speak to this better than I, but use the tennis ball under the desk (a bottle of wine on the floor when I couldn't find the tennis ball at home), and very importantly, get on the roller. It was explained to me by a very intelligent runner that you need to make sure you roll all the way up the leg because the muscles affected by the p.f. are NOT just in the feet. I am NOT a runner, so I feel your pain.

...and yes, it was red wine, a malbec... a multipurpose wine.

2012-02-21 9:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
Tennis ball under the arch of the foot. Do both feet. A lot. Then get the foam roller - do the calves, then the quads and hammies, the the hips and glutes. All the way up. Slowly. On both legs. This will take a while. Even if it is not PF it will be good for you.

What kind of shoes do you wear? Work and around the house? Like - flip flops, barefoot, and for Billy, 6 inch heels?
2012-02-21 9:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Tennis ball under the arch of the foot. Do both feet. A lot. Then get the foam roller - do the calves, then the quads and hammies, the the hips and glutes. All the way up. Slowly. On both legs. This will take a while. Even if it is not PF it will be good for you.

What kind of shoes do you wear? Work and around the house? Like - flip flops, barefoot, and for Billy, 6 inch heels?
2012-02-21 9:47 AM

Extreme Veteran

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  

of 240