BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Canadian athlete- closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-03-19 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1140785

Regular
Subject: RE: Canadian athlete- closed!
good job Kate

You have made a good pass at your goals!

My goals were to bike the 18 mile needed for my 1st sprint.............accomplished!

Lose 2 pounds.............. haven't weighed for fear it hasn't happened.

Lisa

2008-03-22 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1280431

Regular
ok i weighed in.
The weight loss didn't happen.
Could it be the fact that I am eating everything? Ha Ha.

Lisa
2008-03-23 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1287743

New user
lucyegirl - 2008-03-22 7:05 PM

ok i weighed in.

Lisa

Are you eating frequently throughout the day? I know eating smaller portions to the point of being satisfied or full is great 4-6x rather than going several hours without food. Of course we all emotional eat sometimes but lately I try to have a good cup of tea such as Bengal spice or calming types with a touch of honey instead of late night boredum eating. (unless I just did a big workout at 7-8pm)

your thoughts?

Heather
2008-03-27 5:46 AM
in reply to: #1287743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
lucyegirl - 2008-03-23 3:05 AM

ok i weighed in.

Lisa

Well you knew it wasn't going to happen - I know just how you feel though, I am thinking of joining weight watchers to give me a bit more of an incentive to stick to a programme. I know the one I'm on backwards so it's more of an excuse to be sloppy about writing things down and measurring - with a new shiny programme I'll have to watch more so will be more likely to be truthful.

We've still got a few days to the end of the month to try - should we set targets again for April?
2008-03-27 12:41 PM

Regular
Well, I am back from spring break. We skied three days and relaxed and ate during the rest of the week. Now I am back to training The first two days were great, my muscles were rested and breathing was fine but now after three consecutive days I am tired and not looking forward to my run today. Yesterday's bike ride was forever long and it took all I had to finish. I think I might be working too hard since I couldn't complete a sentence when I would try and talk. I think I've had my bike trainer on really low resistance and thought I was getting faster instead of working harder. Yesterday I put it back where it should be and it about killed me to try to keep up my previous pace - rats.

I am still not doing well on the water and have not gotten near the scale since spring break.

I am trying to get back up to training 6 days a week - I think I'll make it this week. I hope the snow melts so I can run outside on Sunday. I don't know if I can stand a long run on the treadmill. The long bike rides on the trainer are killing me. I might have to go and rent some movies - anything to keep my mind busy

Oh! big news I signed up for two sprints before my Oly. One in May the next in June (Oly in July) I'm hoping to practice my transitions and really get a feel for pacing myself. Not exactly sure how to transition from my training to a race and back since I will be right in the middle of lengthly training by then.

Hope you all are having a great week!
Corinne
2008-03-27 2:01 PM

Regular
i know what you are saying about the long bike rides being monotinous.
I think we all need Spring to come and the weather to turn warm and sunny.
Training outside will be the boost to our spirits that we all need.

Corrinne.... I am interested what to do with your training once you complete your race also.
I am doing a 21 week program and my 1st tri in May and then want to enter a race in July.
any help from you with experience?

Lisa

2008-03-27 4:03 PM

Regular
Lisa - I have no idea since I have never done a triathlon. I think I might post it to the larger board to see what others do/have done. In fact I will ask now so look for my post!

Corinne
2008-03-29 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1297867

New user
Ok I've been there, done that when it comes to post race situations. You finish the race you take the next 4-7 days off or minimal training unless you have another race coming up. I realize when I look back that the best thing to do with all this new fitness levels is to set a goal. Either to a shorter race that season or maybe a running race (like a 5-10 or half marathon) or to maintain some level of fitness.

After my half Ironman I was very tired and burnt out. I had to take some mental and physical breaks. After that I set a goal to complete and improve my Olympic time. I wasn't as motivated in the weeks in between but after my Oly school was about to begin again so I did take a longer break and just focused on Running.

Volunteering is also a great idea - pick a race after your race and help out. I was a pace bunny for my local half marathon and really enjoyed encouraging others. I chose a pace that was moderate for me and doable and basically chatted with others etc. Some people help with water stations..

Off season is the time to renew and try to build up your body. Maybe take up weight training more seriously or try a another sport.

just some ideas for the future

Heather
2008-03-30 1:46 PM

Regular
thanks heather for the tips.
I want to do a second sprint this year in July.
My first will be in May.
Is that reasonable or am I crazy?

I was thinking of taking 1 week off and then restarting.

Lisa
2008-03-31 9:23 AM

Regular
LIsa - I think it's doable - no experience with it though but I've got sprints in May & June and an oly in July. I'm looking at the sprints as getting me ready for the oly and making sure that I have enough distance under my belt to finish. Plus they are pushing me to keep up with my training so I don't make a fool of myself come race day.

Hope everyone has a great week! I am riding my bike indoors again as it is below zero with the wind chill - brrrrrr.

Corinne

2008-04-05 6:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
How much is too much? I've recently upped the amount of training I'm doing because I'm incorporating a 10k run schedule into my Tri training plan, as well as staring a new diet (weight watchers). I think I'm O.K. and I'm doing way less than a lot of people on here but colleagues were going on at me last night to not do too much and to take more rest days. What I want to avoid is not being able to do the Tri's or the 10k so any advice on avoiding injury would be appreciated.
taaa

Kate

2008-04-05 9:51 AM

Regular
Kate - I am new to all this so take my reply with a grain of salt. I have noticed that when I train too hard (more of an intensity issue vs time issue) I won't be able to sleep at night - night after night. After a few weeks of this I scaled back my intensity level - now I make sure I can talk during my rides and runs and I feel so much better! My legs are not continually tired, I am sleeping well and I actually feel like training I probably should train with a heart monitor because I can push myself too hard. But just with a small slowdown I am feeling so much better and training 6 days a week. Listen to your body, rest if you are exhausted, don't build too fast - 10% seems to be the rule and seems to be manageable. Stretch the problem areas after you are warm. Most of all, have fun! I never thought I'd say I was having fun running, biking & swimming but now I can!
2008-04-09 11:16 AM

Regular
hi everyone.

Spring finally came to Ohio.
It was 77 yesterday and I rode outside.
How great that was!!!!

My training buddy developed knee problems and had to quit training.
I have been going solo now for about 4 weeks and feel even more determined to finish my first tri. Only 42 days until the big day.

Hope that everyones training is going well.
Kate.... how is the weight watchers?

Lisa
2008-04-11 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Lisa - well done for going it alone - that would have been an excuse for so many people to stop but you've stuck in there - well done you!

Thew weight watchers is going great. I've joined on a monthly pass so get access to lost of inline tools and it's really keeping me motivated so I've been training and sticking to the porgramme and I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks since I started. No doutbt it'll slow down over the next few weeks but I'm super motivated at the moment!!
2008-04-11 2:45 PM

Regular
Great job Kate!!!
2008-04-12 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Cheers - how are you getting on?

2008-04-12 11:36 PM
in reply to: #1302635

New user
lucyegirl - 2008-03-30 11:46 AM

thanks heather for the tips.
I want to do a second sprint this year in July.
My first will be in May.
Is that reasonable or am I crazy?

I was thinking of taking 1 week off and then restarting.

Lisa

You will need to go easy in your week off but you can still do some light training like an easy run or bike. I wouldn't nessessarly take 7 days off completely. Providing you have no injuries or anything really focus on maintaining the fitness you built up by doing a brick every weekend if you can that is nearly the distance or just past your race distance but not at race intensity.

You can reasonably do sprints every couple of weeks but you won't nessesarily get any faster at them. Peaking can happen 2 times in a season if you work at it. You build up to a point then peak and come off your peak.

I will be doing a sprint tri in June, and early July and finally an Oly in the end of July as my "peak" race. after that I'm off to India potentially for a Missions trip.

Keep up the training girls.. I realize most of us are not chatting on here much... if I'm not responding please send me a message with a question or concern or update if you like and I will pop back in. :-)

Heather

2008-04-13 10:29 AM

Regular
thanks heather for the great advice.
Sounds like you have quite a full schedule of races coming up.
Good for youy!!!!

Kate congrats on the 9 pounds!
That is incredible.
Keep us posted!

everyone have a great weekend.

Lisa
2008-04-20 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Thanks Lucy - how are you doing?

How's everyone getting on? Do you have any races soon? What are your plans?

I've got two weeks to my first tri of the year and my second tri ever and I'm a little nervous and kind of excited. I'm training well at the moment but the juggling to fit it all in is somewhat hard.

Hope you're all well

Kate
2008-04-23 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1349530

Regular

25 days until my first tri ever!
I am getting so pumped up.
Training is going well, and I don't dare miss this close to the race.
I actually registered for the race this week, which officially means I am in.
I guess that I waited to register to make sure that I thought i could really do it.

hope that everyone is having a great week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Canadian athlete- closed! Rss Feed  

of 5