BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Canadian athlete- closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-01-07 10:05 PM

New user
Subject: Canadian athlete- closed!
Name: Heather Hendricks

Yes you can join if you are from somewhere else other than Canada... I just thought it would make me unique

I've been racing in triathlons for 3 years now and 2-3 years of running prior to that. The summer I got married (2006) I didn't end up racing since my wedding was then. I started with 5km races, then 10, then half marathons and one marathon so far (Vancouver Marathon). I've completed several triathlons each year upping the anti from sprint to Half Ironman last year (Oliver, B.C. June 3rd). Throughout all this I have overcome minor injuries such as IT band, shin problems etc. I found triathlons balanced me out and forced me to go beyond pounding the pavement.

This year I'm looking forward to my first tri of the season in March at UBC triathlon either a spring or Olympic distance then I will probably do other sprints and Olympics - my goal is to improve my time significantly! I certainly don't place in my age group yet but am always improving!

Career-- I'm an Elementary teacher (currently subbing) as well as a group fitness instructor and personal trainer. I enjoy soaking up info and sharing it with others so I look forward to answering your questions and encouraging you through your journey to your triathlons this year. I can remember my heart racing in excitement starting my first sprint and the tears in my eyes at the end when I completed it. I hope all of you have a great season and can work through the ups and downs of life to keep training!

Heather

Edited by mararunner 2008-01-13 11:10 PM

2008-01-10 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1140785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: Canadian athlete- open
Can I join?

STORY: I always want to do a triathlon, my background is in swimming but I'm a keen cyclist it's just the running part that I don't do too well. I'm using the idea as a motivation to loose weight. This all started as it usually does in January last yeat and I did well but then lost it a bit in the summer. I also teach scuba diving, sport climb and ride a motorbike but these hobbies have been parked for about a year or so while I complete a masters while working full time. So I'm a teensy bit busy and the training also helps keep me sane. Oh yes and I live in Scotland in the UK.

FAMILY STATUS: Fiance Alan who hates gyms and can't see the point of exercise but joins in with the scuba and bikes. He also climbs occaisionally. We have a cat called Tirpitz

CURRENT TRAINING: BT 2x 20 weeks Sprint

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2007 was the year of my first triathlon, a novice come-and-tri event and I loved it. It left me itching for more.

2008 RACES: 2 more Novice Tri's before completing a sprint - providing the weightloss goes as planned.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have needed to loose weight for quite some time and can do it when I try then fall off again. I have once reached a goal weight. Being 6ft tall I will always be in the Athena group but to be at goal again I need to loose 70lbs but I'm determined to get there this year.

2008-01-10 11:44 AM

Regular
I'd like to join too!

I'm turning 40 this year and my husband and I decided this is the year to get fit - we're not getting any younger! We will be participating in our first Olympic distance triathlon the last weekend in July. I've always been active, I love to play volleyball but haven't done anything super serious like this. I don't enjoy running so that will be the biggest challenge for me. I live in Idaho so I am training indoors until it warms up.

I am married to a great guy who is also training for a triathlon. I homeschool my 4 kids who range in age from 7-12 and am pretty busy with them and their activities.

I have no idea how to train properly so I am trying to up my endurance at this point. I am exercising 5 days a week including one day of skiing and one night of volleyball - otherwise I am run/walking on the treadmill or elliptical or sitting on the stationary bike at the gym for an hour. I also put in one day a week with weights.

July 26, 2008 is the big race day

I would like to loose about 8 pounds to get to a lean racing weight I am 5'9" and would like to weigh about 140 - 143 for the race. I have been on weight watchers for the last few years and have kept my weight off - I need to learn how to eat properly without starving myself as I start burning more and more calories. I get a guilt trip when I eat extra but know I will have to if I want to keep up this level of exercise.

Thanks for your willingness to help!
Corinne

2008-01-11 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1147830

New user
Welcome Kate!

I have one question for you.... why not a full sprint??? Take the plunge!! If you have any questions just ask away as time goes on.. I will try to check on your workouts at least once per week. How are you doing with training through the winter?

Heather
2008-01-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1147968

New user
Corrine,
Sounds like you are off to a great start. 5 days a week is a lot... how long have you kept that up? Running- are you walk/running or running straigt?? How many minutes of each? I like to do a 2:1 ratio to start of run to walk and build to 10:1 over the weeks. Some people I work with go quicker than others....

Do you swim yet???? Can you swim?? This is barrier for some people.. if you are ready to do laps and need some stroke improvement or learn to swim - sign up at your local pool for a set of lessons 3-5 maybe... then try to swim 1-2 a week even just for 20 minutes to start... You kids could be in lessons while you practice (I read you homeschool as well --- what a tough job!) I'm a teacher as well and have family who homeschool.

As far as snacks during your workouts... or eating extra - eat healthy now - following the plans you know well- weight watchers is great - when when you daily exercising goes above 1 hour or is in heat - that is when you need to eat while exercising. Things such as sports drink, sharkies, gells etc will come into play then. as for now and extra workouts.... I also enjoy the American food guide (even though I'm Canadian)... that can help you with how many servings a person who is exercising should have... So if I workout for an hour before dinner - as oppose to nothing or just 3 minutes - I might choose to have a bit more at dinner that night such as one more serving of fruit /veg or whole grain rice, bread etc.... More doesn't mean more junk, it means more quality.

just some ideas to start.

Heather
2008-01-11 3:37 PM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Hey there!

Can I join? I became interested in a triathlon from a friend in my boot camp class who completed his first last year. I just turned 40 (ugh) and have been working out since high school, so I know what I NEED to do, it's just doing it that is the problem! I currently take a boot camp class 2x's a week...very intense every time. This has greatly improved my endurance and running ablility. I don't bike but have access to a great variety of stationary bikes at my gym, and I just got back in the pool today. I would like to continue my boot camp class and therefore need guidance where that fits into training. Referring to this site's beginning training, what can I replace with boot camp?

My goal is a triathlon in middle May. I know I can do it with support and advice! I live in Illinois with my great husband and 2 boys. I work part-time, so fitting in workouts should not be a problem.

Thanks!

Sandy

2008-01-11 6:07 PM

Regular
Heather
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas

I have been working out 5x a week for 3 weeks now. It is not always a hard workout but at least I am moving. If I don't discipline myself I will quit. When I run/walk I usually try to run for the length of a song and walk for the blank air in between - sometimes if I've run at 6mph (not very often) or so I will walk the entire next song. I will have to try your method of 3/1 moving up to 10/1. Today is a rest day and tomorrow I hope to do 60 min on the elliptical machine and maybe some yoga. I have pulled my achilles tendon so I am hobbling a bit and don't want to run until it is better. As far as swimming I just need to get a suit. I have access to a pool and know how to swim - I was on the swim team eons ago. I feel like I will be gasping for air after one lap but in reality I know I don't have to push hard but keep it slow and steady. I am down almost 4 lbs this week so I have started eating more to offset the fast weight loss.

I will be borrowing a bike for the race. I have a friend who is willing to let me try hers so I hope to get it soon and set it up on a trainer and get the feel for a real bike. I hope to try clip in pedals/shoes but know I have to practice getting in and out before I fall over.

Thanks for the encouragement - especially for eating extra portions of the healthy things I will try to make better choices.

Have a great weekend!
Corinne
2008-01-11 10:37 PM
in reply to: #1151077

New user
Welcome Sandy,
I"m a fitness instructor I know what a great workout bootcamp is, however the only way you get stronger at swimming, biking and running is actually doing those sports... So your bootcamp will not replace any of the three but can provide a strength workout for you. When you get closer to your race you may want to cut down to one BC class a week if you are finding you don't have enough time to get your workouts done.

Set a goal for yourself for the first month on frequency of each of the three sports and I will check in and encourage you to keep to that goal.

Heather
2008-01-12 10:36 AM

New Jersey
Hi I'd like to get in on the fun
I'm 25 from NJ starting my 3rd season of triathlons. I did a few sprints my first season, and bunch more and one oly last year. I ran the Philadelphia marathon this past fall as well, but that's when I found out that I'm not put together quite right. The marathon took me 5:30 when I was training for 4:15.
I have a somewhat restricted SI joint on my left side, so I'm in PT and cut way back on my running. I've been given permission to swim and ride to my hearts content and run until the pain starts (typically 3.5 miles)
I'm training for more oly's this year and a spring marathon. I spin or cycle twice a week, run when I can and swim when I can force myself. I dont' have the best swimming technique and I get bored very easily. I'm still looking for something to make me love it, I'm sure I could, but I'm too young for the tri clubs and masters teams. It's hard for me to relate to people that own corporations and swim like fish (especially since my boss is on the team).

I'd really appreciate anyone's encouragement for injured athletes and lackluster swimmers.

Thanks
Andrea
2008-01-12 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1151664

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Thanks for your advice. I talked to one of my fellow boot campers who did a tri in '07 and he said he actually skipped the 2nd session of boot camp last year to just swim, bike, run. I am thinking that I will put a hold on boot camp next session (which starts end of Feb.) or perhaps just do one session/wk. Do you recommend this site's beginning workout plan?

Edited by snady 2008-01-12 3:03 PM
2008-01-13 2:06 AM

New user

Hi!

Hopefully there is still room to join your group? If so, let me know and I will post more about myself.

Thanks,

Licia

2008-01-13 7:38 PM

Regular
HI Heather

I am in need of a mentor if there is still room.
I am totally new to the sport, but have thought about it for years.
I am very competative and ready to take up a new challenge.
I just turned 45 (double ugh), hence time to complete a goal that I have had for awhile doing a tri.
I started with the beginner plan 8 days ago and really am enjoying it!
I haven't swam for years but have found the pool to be enjoyable.
Like a few others, the run will be my worst.
I don't like running.

Let me know if there is room left in the group.
What a great source of inspiration we can all be to each other.

Lisa
2008-01-13 7:41 PM

Turning 40 this year, too, and not getting any younger!
Very out of shape but ready to TRI!

There is a mini tri nearby in Sept and do you think that someone totally out of shape would be ready for one by May or June? Or that just the voices in my head making fun of me?

May I join your group, too?

Diana
2008-01-13 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Any room left for me? (I'm also Canadian, if that scores me any bonus points!!)

Meg
2008-01-13 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1151952

New user
You can definately join. You need to swim. This has been my biggest issue to. I pass people during the run and bike but the run I am one of the slowest in my age group. I am trying to go to Masters 2-3x a week this month to get my act together. Masters across NA means that you are out there to get a swim workout. My club has a variety of lanes. People are a variety of ages. I recognize your club might be older but who cares!!! I don't think you are too young to join I belive you need to be an adult.. which you are..... Go into the easiest lane and do what you can.

I often run at the Running room where I am the youngest.. I have even taught running club groups where I am teaching those old enough to be my parents.. We are all out there for similar reasons and that is how I got to know that group of people. Yes they ocationally saw me as overly ambicous... oh welll....

Go swim set a reasonable goal then go for it!! Maybe even try 3-5 private or small group lessons.

Heather
2008-01-13 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1152742

New user
Licia,
You are in please tell me about yourself. Don't forget to log often. Post your questions here or in private mail whenever.

Heather

2008-01-13 11:24 PM
in reply to: #1153491

New user
Lisa,
You are in. I'm getting kinda full but I think I can handle all 8 people. Please introduce yourself to the group. Ask questions when you need to.....

What is your goal for this year? When is your goal race?

Be sure to log all workouts as well as how you are feeling. It's important to watch out for overtraining.

You can also email me through beginner triathlete privately if you don't want your question public.

Which beginner program are you doing?

Heather
2008-01-13 11:27 PM
in reply to: #1153503

New user
Subject: RE: Tiggerbounce
Hello Diana,
Yes you can join. What is your previous fitness experience? What activities have you been doing over the last month or so?

Yes a sprint triathlon is doable for May or June.

Set a goal today. Maybe it's to follow the first week of the program or learn how to swim better... start slow and add on as the program suggests.

Ask questions as you go. Post all your workouts so I can view them to give you feedback...

good luck and enjoy the journey!

Heather
2008-01-13 11:37 PM
in reply to: #1153530

New user
Ladies we are now closed!!

So we have:

Kate_r - kate
slusser-Corinne
Shady-Sandy
ihavegluestick- Andrea
baileysic- Licia (sp?)
luckegirl - Lisa
tiggerbounce- Diana
Princess Megs- Meg

Whoa! Ok no more!! Here's my goal- that none of you drop out and disappear, but if you do well I assume you are busy. Please ask questions as you go...... introduce yourself if you haven't already..... mail me or post on here whenever - I will try to check once a day at least

I'm a sub teacher by day and fitness trainer by the ocational night so life can get busy!!!

Congrats to those of you who use all of the profile stuff - I'm slowly catching on to this websites extra bits....... more to come soon..

Meg: sounds like I may see you @ UBC.. I was there 2 years ago..... I assume you are a student finishing up your degree? Having access to that pool is nice..

PS group: set process goals each week like "I"m going to do 2 swims, 2 bikes, 2 runs by Sunday night" or "i'm going to swim for 2 hours total this week"

then check them off as you go......

ttyl

Heather

2008-01-13 11:40 PM
in reply to: #1152173

New user
Subject: RE: workout plan
Sandy,

The plans are a great start. I find I need to fit it to my current life schedule and Masters workouts.... Make sure you can do the minimum before you start and then go for it. Print them off to check off as the days go by.

Groups like running clubs, swim clubs etc can also be super motivating if you can find them in your community.

Heather
2008-01-14 7:12 AM

Regular
Subject: RE: Canadian athlete- closed!
Heather

thanks for letting me join!

I am using the beginner 2x balanced 20 week program here online.
My goal race is 5/20 the TRI for Joe in Cincinnati Ohio.
Everyone tells me it is very beginner friendly.
I was going to do one in June, but my sources all say the May one is really best for the beginner. so i am listening to their advice.

I have a question for all of you.
I work a varied schedule, one week much easier then the next.
I often work nights, which makes training difficult.
My program has 2 days off per week.
What do you think of training on my good week 6 days and training 4 days on my heavy work weeK?
I am entering my heavy work week today.

thanks
Lisa

2008-01-14 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1153936

Subject: RE: Tiggerbounce
mararunner - 2008-01-13 10:27 PM

Hello Diana,
Yes you can join. What is your previous fitness experience? What activities have you been doing over the last month or so?

Yes a sprint triathlon is doable for May or June.

Set a goal today. Maybe it's to follow the first week of the program or learn how to swim better... start slow and add on as the program suggests.

Ask questions as you go. Post all your workouts so I can view them to give you feedback...

good luck and enjoy the journey!

Heather

I used to live on my bike (20 years ago!!!) and I was a strong swimmer with some lifeguard training. I ran because my drill sgt told me to, heh! Recently I have been limitted to walkind and stationary biking and some yoga. My goal is to follow the 22 week program for the tri/sprint. Starting today of course. Headed to the gym to the treadmill, may need to switch the swim days to match the pool availability though. My first major tackle is going to be improving my swimming and learning to breathe properly and work on my stroke. Well, actually, my first major hurdle is just being seen in a swimsuit in public!!!!! GASP!!!!!!

Am trying to be sure to use the log here online.

Thanks for letting me be a part of the group!
2008-01-15 3:15 PM

Regular
well i have succesfully finished my 1st week of training!
Today is a rest day, and I actually miss going to the gym
Only 19 more weeks until the big day!

Lisa
2008-01-17 12:44 PM

New Jersey
I made it to 5 miles last night! Longest pain-free run since October. Of course it was after a session of PT where my therapist poked and prodded until he felt my joint had loosened up.

I'm planning on one swim, 5 runs and 2 spins/rides each week. I've got 2 runs and one swim down. Tomorrow I'll get in spinning and the rest of the runs are on the weekend. (my weeks start on monday)

How are the rest of you doing?

andrea
2008-01-17 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1154115

New user
lucyegirl - 2008-01-14 5:12 AM

I have a question for all of you.
I work a varied schedule, one week much easier then the next.
I often work nights, which makes training difficult.
My program has 2 days off per week.
What do you think of training on my good week 6 days and training 4 days on my heavy work weeK?
I am entering my heavy work week today.

thanks
Lisa

Go for it, just watch your fatigue and eat a bit more during the 6 day training week. Dont'' go more than 3 days without training as you will loose cardio gains.

Heather
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Canadian athlete- closed! Rss Feed  

of 5