United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up Sheila (best friend), and we both dressed and shivered out the door. We ate BOOPAs on the way to pick up TAGP. We found her hotel and made the final running water potty stop. It was all porta johns from here. We met May, and drove out the the site pretty much laughing the whole time. Thanks to my anal retentiveness, we arrived at the race site 90 minutes early. This means we got parking, and sat in the car for an hour and chatted more.
Event warmup:

Hit the porta-john then walked over to the start. There wasn't near as many people for the 10K as the 5K. Sheila, May and I discussed alternate methods of propulsion, and pretty much made sure we were standing in the sun.
Run
  • 1h 19m 1s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

We had to walk the first little bit until enough room cleared out to start running. We started running at my pace, and everyone else ran past us. We did get to pass the walking older couple. We settled into a comfy pace. And chatted for much of the way. About 1.5 miles in, we started hitting some hills. I don't know where they imported these hills from, but hills there were. Mile 2 I was the first water stop. I was scared if I walked it and drank I wouldn't be able to start running again so I just jogged past while the girls walked and drank some water. The hills were hurting me, but apparently I was running faster through the hills than on the flat, however the hills were killing me! Sheila kept reminding me to slow down but DON'T STOP, as I whined about how hard it was. At this point, May and Sheila were chatting away. I was breathing heavily, interspersed with whining.

Just before mile 4, a guy in his 60's wearing a santa hat passed us, and was talking about how the hills at the Arkansas marathon are killer.....I want to be that strong when I'm 60!!

Just after mile marker 4 was the second water stop. I walked through there getting in a little bit of hydration. As soon as the water station was done, there wwas another evil hill, and May was running again, so I guess it was time. I started back witht the jog. At this point I was hot, so I pulled my shirt up and stuffed it into the back of the bra trying to get cooled down. This was an extended hill, and when we were near the crest...but still climbing I was ready to give in. I told the girls I needed to walk for a little bit. May asked me if I could make it to mile 5 and then we could negotiate. I agreeded, sucked it up, and we slowed down just a little bit. Although according to Sheila, everytime I said I was hurting, and wanted to stop, I was running faster.

We got to the top of the hill, and once I was running on flat again, it wasn't as bad. May checked her watch and said we only had 100sih (she said the actual number but I've forgotten it) seconds to mile 5. It felt like we had just left mile 4, so I called BS on her. But she was right. Hidden behind a car, I saw the mile 5 marker. At this point, it was the furthest I had ever run at one stretch in my LIFE! The course was flat, and I really wanted to make it all the way. I said "I can do it" and didn't even contemplate stopping after we hit mile 5. The lever ground was helping me a lot. Just a little bit past mile 5 was the last water stop. Those people were energized! They were cheering us on, yelling for us and clapping. It was just what I needed. We could see the finish line, but it wasn't to be ours yet. We had to do another couple of turns to get some more distance in. It was a slow uphill grade, but I knew we were almost there. We made it to the top of the uphill, turned back towards the finish line. A runner walking home told us just around the corner. It was a level grade, and it was starting to really hurt again, but I knew we were almost there. We turned the final corner. The finish line was there...calling to us. Sheila said faster...faster...sprint...sprint.

The finish line was straight ahead. Some JACKASS volunteer told us "Runners go left" WTF???? We could see the finish line right in front of us. It didn't make sense...but we turned. Then he started yeling at us, NO NO NO STAY TO THE LEFT. WTF?????? We had to turn around and get back going the way we were. What a JACKASS. Sheila hollered at him "Are you STUPID?" and he had the nerve to get belligerant with us.

It didn't matter. The finish line was there. I wanted to be done. I was ready, I gathered everything I had in me and started sprinting. I flew into the finish shoot. I slowed to a walk...all of a sudden I needed to puke. I dry heaved as I walked down the shoot. The lady pulling our bib tags was hurrying so I wouldn't puke on her. I got past the shoot and headed for grass. I did have a little urp-age, but nothing bad. I think just bending over and breathing was what I needed. I was done. I had officially run a 10K.
What would you do differently?:

Nuttin
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to the expo area where they had free Starbucks & oranges, but had run out of water.

Event comments:

This was a blast. It was so great meeting May, not to mention having her inspire me to run my best ever. Running with her and Sheila kept me running when I wanted to stop, and I enjoyed all of it!!

Last updated: 2004-11-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:19:01 | 06.2 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
1 - 12:45 2 - 12:08 3 - 12:28 4 - 12:40 5 - 13:05 6 - 13:06 6.2 - 2:49
Course: Who the HELL put these hills in fort worth????? We're flat as a pancake. Mile 1 was flat, Miles 2-5 had some small hills, Mile 6 has a slow low incline for the first 1/2 mile. The last section was flat THANK GOD
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-11-25 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: Fort Worth Turkey Trot 10K

2004-11-25 10:03 PM
in reply to: #86614

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Fort Worth Turkey Trot 10K
Congrats on your FIRST 10-k Kristen!!!! Figures you'd puke if May was involved!!!! lolGreat job!!!!
2004-11-26 2:37 AM
in reply to: #86626

Online or Offline

glf33 - 2004-11-25 9:03 PM Congrats on your FIRST 10-k Kristen!!!! Figures you'd puke if May was involved!!!! lolGreat job!!!!

Gary, I'm not sure how to take that!!

I don't believe we ever experienced the alternative methods of propulsion, unless something occured on that 2nd hilly mile which explains why that mile split was so low. I WILL have to say that I never thought that there would be that many rolling hills in such a concentrated area of Ft. Worth!

I promised 180 seconds to you, around that 5th mile....give or take 15 or so . Hey, I was working with whatever available information I was provided with, BESIDES, you forget that due to construction, a modification to the course was made, too! (We ran with the course map in my pocket)

I have a few favorite memories of today's race: your determination to finish a 10K, how sweet you were to the course volunteers, and when Sheila and I were busy giving the one JACKASS dirty looks and then turning around and seeing that your were *GONE* sprinting to the chute!

You set a new bar for yourself! Keep setting them higher, girl! Congrats on a great race!

(I'm getting mighty comfortable here in TX!.....as in this place is agreeing with me LOL)

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2004-11-26 2:38 AM
2004-11-26 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Kristen, You rock girl!! Awesome job on your first 10K!!!!  What's next for you--the world is your oyster!!  
2004-11-26 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I KNOW my next tri challenge will be an Oly on 3/19.  Between now and then, it's probably to run 10K by myself, without May & Sheila pushing me on.  And start masters swimming.  And try riding bikes with my boss, who apparently is a machine on the bike.
2004-11-26 11:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Great race report! Congrats on your achievement, and thanks for sharing even the grossest of details...I don't spare anyone, so I'm glad you didn't either! :-)

Great job!!!!!

2004-11-27 7:23 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Great race Kristen!  Sounds like you had a great day all around 
2004-11-27 6:33 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Yay!  Congrats on the 10K!  And very cool to meet May!  I'm rhyming a lot, huh? ok- it's done.
2004-12-12 5:04 PM

Champion
Woo Hoo Kristen....thanks for the note on our race, or else I would have missed seeing this one of yours! Great job, glad to see you get a 10-K under your belt. And yeah, May is a great motivator, wonderful personality, you had a fantastic coach! It's great to see everyone accomplishing athletic things here, makes it all worthwhile!

Max
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Worth Turkey Trot 10K Rss Feed