Trievents
37C / 99F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Registration and bike check in was yesterday so no need to worry about packing the bike in the car! fabulous. Unfortunately I had a horror night. It was just HOT and I really struggled to sleep, I lay there sweating most of the night gross!

so crawled out of bed feeling dehydrated and tired, but had a quick cold shower to wake up and started feeling a little better, downed some vegemite crumpets and headed off to the race site.
Event warmup:

I was a bit all over the show this morning, I was really tired and not really thinking too straight, I'd made a cake for my dad (his birthday) iced to look like a zipp wheel, so had brought that along in an esky to have afte the race at my clubs tent. once I'd pumped up the tyres and set out my transition area I headed off to get teh cake sorted.
Ran into Shaun/TryAthlete on my way. I'm really sorry Shaun I think I was on a different planet and couldn't quite figure out who you were till I'd walked away. so sorry! thank you so much for volunteering your time yesterday!
I made sure I plastered on the suncream and downed a gel before venturing into the skanky swan river. I know its lovely to have a race in the centre of the city and all but that part of the river is just so disgusting!
Oh and before i get to the race I'll just let you all know it was HOT before the race even started.
Swim
  • 28m 18s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I didn't even pack my wetsuit to bring it with me this morning, no possibly way it was going to be a wetsuit swim. found out it was actually 28C in the river. It was like a bath! climbed down the steps and did a little swan dive thing into the river so didn't want to touch the bottom and swam out to the buoys to wait for the start. I met a really lovely girl from Canberra who'd flown over for the race. had a chat to her and then we were off, I had a really good start I somehow managed to find some space and just started swimming, thankfully the waves before had cleared alot of the jellys away but there were still a fair few delightfully big brown dinnerplate sized jellys to contend with. I even managed to use a couple as wierd paddles :)

I don't sight very often when I'm swimming as I just seem to have this ability to swim in a straight line. So I'd checked where we wereh eading and just swam, unforunately I managed once again to get boxed in between two girls who had no idea where they were heading and decided that the line they were swimming was directly into me, over and over and over. grr, I kicked a bith arder and tried to pass them, manged after a bit of a effort to get around them. My goggles fogged up quite badly and we were staring directly into the sun to find the massive big buoys.

they were huge and yet I just could not see them at all. a couple of hundred metres from the buoy I stopped to clear the goggles as I just coudnl't see anything. I did just keep my head down and kept swimming as I had some pretty good drafts I could just follow feet!

rounded the buoys uneventfully and it was back to the start.
I'm a bit disappointed wit hthe swim time as I thought I'd had a good swim was expecting a better time when I crossed the timing mat, but a few people have since said they thought the swim was long.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim in my pink outfit without a wetsuit ever again, its just a dragfest, luckily there weren't more jellies asx i'm sure I would have collected them down my top.

Swim faster
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I had a bit of a daydream in transition wasn't really focussed, in fact I can't actually remember what I did and in what order. I know I found my bike really easily.
I know I made sure I wiped my face to get rid of the beard from the river! gross!

concentrate
Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 40 kms
  • 30.00 km/hr
Comments:

Jumped on the bike and had set a goal of 30k/h ave for the bike. headed out with a tailwind and was flying along for the first half lap. I realised pretty quickly that the pink outfit is def not to be worn in a non wetsuit race, it was not quite tight enough gapes a little up the top. I have a feeling people coming towards me got a pretty good view of my sports bra and the girls oops. hope the cameras didn't catch any shots.

the first half of each lap was fantastic with the tail wind, I think I was sitting on about 40k's for each tailwind lap. at the turn around it was a different story and the wind made it harder to head back into. tried to keep my cadence up over 90 which I could do quite easily, just made sure I was spinning the legs when I had the headwind.

I quite enjoyed the bike, although I had a pounding headache (not sure why perhaps lack of sleep/dehydration) I had planned a gel at the halfway mark of the bike but unfortunately the gelbot failed me today! the nozzle and tube inside the bottle with the gel in it fell into the bottle crap no gels for me for the ride. and I probably didn't have enough powerade but tried to drink as often as I could. and used the water in the gelbot to spray on myself to keep a little cooler, could still taste the strong salt water from teh river right through the bike.

Really happy I actually kept my goal time!
Ride faster! figure out the gel problem drink more!
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

had a great transition threw the bike on the rack and pulled on the runners helmet off and cap on as I was r unning down the racks.

think about the elastic races again for shorter races.
Run
  • 1h 02m
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 12s  min/km
Comments:

I knew I was in for a long run before I even started running, I missed that gel on the bike and It was so hot I probably should ahve drunk a whole lot more. Anyway I headed out to start running, and it just got hotter and hotter, each aid station I was grabbing a cup of water to drink and a cup to throw overmyself.

I knew I wasn't running all that fast and was quite disappointed with myself but I just could not make my legs go any faster. that first lap was really really tough, the second lap was tough still the last lap seemed to be ok but incredibly hot but I thik I knew i was almost home on that last lap.

my legs were jelly like and I could see a few people who I wanted to beat gaining on me. I knew I couldn't hold them off.

have never been so glad to cross a finish line!

drink more on the bike, make sure I have a gel on the bike.
Run faster, I really want to try and run faster very disappointed with my run time. its the same as Bunbury race and I just wnated to run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? so should have been cool down description today. crossed the finish line and headed straight for the drinks, only to find hot horrible tasting water, luckily one of my friends dashed over to the stadium tent and cme back with and icy cold bottle of water, it was heaven.
I really was overheated and didn't think I was ever going to be back to my normal temp. sure enough though I started cooling down gradually, but it was a damn hot day sweating for hours after the race watching the elites.

Headed to my club tent and had candles and cake for dads birthday. followed by watching the elite race. Wow I felt soo desperately sorry for them they started their race at 11! thats just wrong on a 37degree day esp for the two international girls one from canada one from sweden, I felt very sorry for them they both managed amazing efforts to podium 1st and second! I was cheering very loudly for Robbo! he had a great run the legendary Robbo surge! I so hope he makes the bejing team!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat, lack of training, my running ability :(
I am actually quite disappointed, I really was hoping I'd be able to run faster then I did today. I think I must have had some weird expectations on myself and obviously think I'm better then I actually am.

Event comments:

I dont know if I'd do this event again, its incredibly expensive compared to the other races and for a lousy tshirt thts too big, and to swim in the skanky part of the river and for them to run out of water on the aid stations again! (thats inexcusable on a 37c day two people were carted off to hospital for overheating problems)

Its a great atmosphere but I think I might jsut watch next year. I'm just really glad I managed to actually complete this race after the last two years of sitting on the sidelines with injuries.

My dad wasn't too happy with himself he was racing to try and qualify for World champs in Canada, he was having a blinder of a race until he got done for drafting on the bike. He thinks he was unfairly done, no warning, no yellow card just a hand signal. unfortunately coming up to a turn he was caught in the middle of a group. which with that many people on the course happened all over the show.
which is fine if you are going to pull them up for drafting coming up to a corner then you need to ping all of them not just two people out of 8. He just got a hand signal waving at hime and wasn't sure what it was.

when he got to the sin bin no one knew about it, but the other guy that ignored the hand signal was later disqualifed.

anyway cut a long story shrot dad came 4th in his age group instead of 3rd meaning he will probably still qualify with triple points from the race but it wasn't an automatic place qualification. fingers crossed no t many people in his age group want to go to canada.

Last updated: 2008-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:18 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/
Overall: 231/
Performance: Average
Suit: two piece tri suit
Course: box shaped along the river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 28C / 82F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:00 | 40 kms | 30.00 km/hr
Age Group: 19/
Overall: 393/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: 4 laps out and back along the river
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:02:00 | 10 kms | 06m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 21/
Overall: 406/
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 laps of an m shaped course along riverside drive
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-03 10:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: City of Perth Triathlon

2008-02-03 11:35 PM
in reply to: #1192659

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: City of Perth Triathlon
Super job, Melanie! Sorry it was so hot and you had, um, "wardrobe malfunction" but you still did fantastic.
2008-02-03 11:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Ok, firstly I'm impressed that you baked a cake for your Dad's birthday that was decorated like a Zipp wheel. Tell me you took photos of that piece of genius??? And fingers crossed the triple points get him through to the World Champs.

Me thinks you were a bit tough on yourself. 37C is freakin' HOT. It's sounds like you were probably 'just' dehydrated, particularly after the sweaty sleep. Perhaps also as a back up plan you should tape some Gels to your bike, just in case? Put this down to tough conditions and a learning experience.

You beat your bike goal time and equalled your run goal time. That ain't bad at all!

2008-02-04 7:02 PM

Perth

Hi Mel,

good race, it was sooooo hot, that run must have been hard work, it would have been hotter than 37 with the heat coming back up off the road...ahh, gotta love the swan river beard look!

i took my youngest daughter down to watch the elite race, we sat on the grass, saw the bikes go past 3 times and she said she was too hot and bored so we left...if it was hot just sitting there you did well to race in it.

2008-02-04 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

I heard on the news that it was a hot one on Sunday. Not the sort of conditions to be setting pb's and yet you still beat your bike time, well done mate.

PS. i'm told by a reliable source, that if you rub some shampoo on your goggles they won't fog up

2008-02-05 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Hey Mel! Well done on getting through a really tough race. Don't be too hard on yourself, it was 37C!!!

2008-02-05 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Great race and way to hang in there with all the challenges.  It sounded like it was tough going.  Of course, now everyone will be going through all the race pictures.    Tell your Dad happy birthday and I hope he qualifies.  Congrats!

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Perth Triathlon Rss Feed