General Discussion Race Reports! » Bribie Island Triathlon Series - Race 3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bribie Island Triathlon Series - Race 3 - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bribie Island, Queensland
Australia
The Run Inn
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 31s
Overall Rank = 122/263
Age Group = 20-24 female
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had some cereal with a banana. Got dressed and got into the car at 4:30. It was NON-STOP raining the entire way the course. I stopped at the Caboolture Servo because I didn't want to use the portaloos. :) It only stopped raining when I got to Bribie. Got to transition. Got set up. then went to see the tide was really high, the water cold enough for a wetsuit and assess the tidal flow.
Event warmup:

Stretching. Running up and down the shoreline and running on the spot.
Swim
  • 07m 2s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swims conditions today were terrible. I really felt sorry for silver_streak cause he would have been in the first or second wave. Most of the guys in the first two waves spent most of the swim going backwards. Today was the first time I've ever seen a rubber ducky boat used to rescue people. The oldest competator of the day was sent 300m backwards from the actual swim course the current was so strong.

When our wave went, I was just trying to make it to the buoy and then immeadiatley back to shore... that way I could run along the shore and go faster. After 50m I was thankful I wasn't going BACKWARDS! I employed a new stratergy today - Swim like I was using the pull buoy. I hardly kicked. I used my arms. I;ve proven time and time again in squad that I am totally unco-ordinated. I swim faster using only my arms than as if I was swimming true freestyle.

The current was still strong. Coming round the buoy, I got tangled, and then another woman got pushed into me due to the current. But I made it to shore... Mid pack... Although I couldn't see many "H" on legs...
What would you do differently?:

Under these conditions I don't think I could have done anything differently or better!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Time included partially with swim leg and partially with bike leg

I'm working on the flying leap... Still haven't mastered it yet.
Bike
  • 29m 7s
  • 13 kms
  • 26.79 km/hr
Comments:

Onto the bike and with the tailwind heading out onto the course I quickly got up to speed and started passing people. round the first hot dog and we were into the head wind. THIS is where my aerobars made their money today. I passed the most people going into the headwind and I was still only really doing 27kph at the most. halfway round the first technical lap I stuffed up. Rounded a corner and got back into aero, looked up and there's an SES guy telling people to go to the right... DAMN!!!

Took a wrong turn and had to do an emergency hot dog. SWORE the rest of that lap. The adrenalin was pumping and after ach corner I was up out of the saddle. I kept pedalling because I Was really REALLY worried because I didn't see many H women on the remaining lap... Where the hell were they?? I should be passing them all by now?

Not make any stupid navigation mistakes.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Got back into transition. Sarah was in the teams area and cheered me on. I ran back to my rack. There were TWO bikes in my age group area... TWO. It dawned on me on me that I was in third place. I conducted my fastest transition EVER and blasted out onto the run.

Nothing. I was fast today!
Run
  • 19m 19s
  • 3 kms
  • 06m 26s  min/km
Comments:

Knowing I was in third place I KNEW I had to really push it on the run. My pace was good and I was overtaking men... WOW! I never overtake guys on a run. What's going on there???

I had to keep this 3rd place spot. I kept looking for the two Hs I knew were in front of me... I couldn't see any!!! I wasn't expecting too... I figured I be a bit far back. But any female running in the other direction I turned my head to look at the letter if I could...

500m before the end I was PASSED by a H. I desperatley tried to hang on... swore as I lost breath and tasted bile. I saw her finish. Then I crossed the line. Quite happy with a PB of 55:31... also happy with 4th place.

Maybe try to push more to hang on when people pass me. The run is my limitting factor and I did the best that I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Once I stood still for a few minutes I started to feel dizzy. I felt drunk and stumbled into the recovery area. Endura, bananas... Went to the car and got changed. Felt much better. Laid under a tree and watched the open guys and girls race. Ate three zooper doopers to keep cool (haven't had them since high school!)

Transition opened. I was going to get my bike and go home. When I realised that one of the bikes I'd been counting in my age group, belonged to someone in the J category.... It dawned on me... I'VE COME THIRD!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!

So I stuck around... Nervous... VERY nervous... What if I didn't get it? am I setting myself up for a fall?

Sticking around was worth it... cept for the announcer calling me an Argentinian. O_o? How the hell did he get that?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The current, The stupid worng turn and my running ability.

Event comments:

PB time, a piece of pottery and great weather! IT was a great race today... It's almost unbelievable that I DIDN'T enjoy the race last time. This time it was fabulous!

Last updated: 2008-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:02 | 300 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 133/263
Performance: Good
HR failed...
Suit: none
Course: Was altered for my wave. A diagonal swim out two one buoy and just TRY to make it back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:07 | 13 kms | 26.79 km/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 78/263
Bike computer says actual bike time is 28:06, max 41.6kph, average of 29.2 kph and a distance of 13.63. 186 average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: VERY technical.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:19 | 03 kms | 06m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 171/263
194 average with a max of 210bpm. My heart rate did not drop under 193...
Course: An out and back course along the shoreline.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-02-17 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Subject: Bribie Island Triathlon Series - Race 3

2008-02-22 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1217560

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Bribie Island Triathlon Series - Race 3
Grats on the Podium Now go out and get another one!!!

Sounds like a great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bribie Island Triathlon Series - Race 3 Rss Feed