United States
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 17s
Overall Rank = 2/101
Age Group = Cat V
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 and walked the dog for an hour. Then I got my gear together. I pulled out my disk and 404 front and put them in the car. Got the rest of my stuff ready and didn't eat breakfast because I was still full from Dinner (cheese fries, steak, salmon, rice, fries and cheescake) at Longhorn. I did have my coffee though!!

Woke Nan up at 6:45 and we were out the door by 7:05.
Event warmup:

As usual, I was running behind even though I got there super early. I was on my trainer for about 15 min of light spinning with some short bursts here and there. Nothing planned out.

Made it to the start with about 1 min to go. Did I mention me and TT start times just don't mesh?
Bike
  • 22m 17s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 25.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do because my legs were thrashed from the weeks efforts. On Thursday I had to bag a workout because my body said No. I was curious and afraid what this TT would reveal. But then I decided, "As long as I don't fall off of the start area, I'm good!".

I remember specifically telling one of my guys, DO NOT GO OUT TOO HARD, that is the cardinal mistake of TT's. So what does Dan do? Yeah, went out like a bat out of Hell. At .2 miles I was at 28 mph, at .3 I was at 29.1 mph. I quickly realized my issue and backed off, but the damage was done. Oh well. ;P I caught my :30 guy before the second stop sign (less than 3/4 mile). I then caught my 1:30 guy a bit further down the road. I ended up passing 6 or 7 people with the last one being right after the 200 meter to go sign.

I kept adjusting my cadence to stay in my sweet spot and didn't worry about speed. Once I settled in, I felt really good. Legs were holding together and I felt 'smooth'...that would change soon. I whipped around the turnaround and quickly got out of the saddle. I let the lactic acid start building in now.

I could really feel the burn in my legs now and knew it was because of the hard efforts at the beginning. But too late now. I just kept pushing and keeping my cadence above 90. At about the 8.5 mile mark, there is a road crossing that is a nice quick downhill. (~50 feet long) I shot through there and my front wheel felt like it left the ground. I got excited thinking that I only had about a half mile to go. Well, I pushed it really hard and found out one thing...

You shouldn't take a Energ-Ease pill 15 min before the start, they tast nasty coming back up. The effort caused my body to say, "That's it!" I had to keep myself from Puking. At least I knew I was going hard enough. I dropped about 2 mph for about 30 seconds while I gathered myself and managed to keep everying inside. Plus that I didnt' have anything to drink made it worse. So now that I realzed that my race math had once again failed me, I ramped back up and finally saw the bridge with the finish line nearby.

At this point, my form was by no means smooth. It was probably funny to watch. I pushed it to the end and managed to keep everything inside. It was fun to say the least. It's weird how you ride out there so often, but never really notice how the small false flats kill you until you are at a top speed.
What would you do differently?:

From reading others RR's, start my watch at the 10 seconds to go mark. I waited until I was up to speed to start my watch.

Start off WAY slower!! Build into the first 2 min like I told everyone else to do.
Post race
Warm down:

I rode for about a mile and then gave Marc a debrief about the course and what to expect. I had a $5 bet with Nan that he would beat me. I think he sandbagged because Nan gave him a massage and now I owe her $5.

I then went for a 1h 10m Z1 run down the silver comet. I passed Nan and Amber right before their turnaround and right before their finish.

The best part was showing up to the Awards Ceremony in my running shorts. I bet the roadies LOVED that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Starting out too fast.

Event comments:

I think they did a great job of organizing the race. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd Overall trophies were AWESOME looking. The medals they gave out were neat too. Better looking than the State TT ones.

It was a great race to get out of the Z1 training mindset. It pushed me to see where I am now and what to expect in the future. It's only February and there is a lot to training to be done.

Last updated: 2008-02-12 12:00 AM
Biking
00:22:17 | 9.5 miles | 25.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 101/101
Performance: Good
HR avg - 164 HR max - 171 Max speed - 29.1 (at .3 miles into race) Cad avg - 91 Cad max - 119
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with short turnaround
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-02-19 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Tundra Time Trial

2008-02-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1220442

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Tundra Time Trial

Awesome race!  I met you at the race and didn't even know it till Rocketman told me that the nice guy who moved his car for me and helped me squeeze in was Dan Arnett!  Thanks for making my day!

2008-02-19 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Geez you're slow...not.  As always, nice race and nice, descriptive RR...

Way to snag hardware in the Cat V's!

2008-02-19 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Holy moly you're fast! Nice work.
2008-02-19 1:15 PM

User image

Master