Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-28 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1241316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoboken, NJ
Subject: RE: Need help with logo design

FWIW, I'm black and see the parallel, so no worries.

I think people are getting caught up because they think you're comparing the "degree of wrongness" of each, which isn't how I interpret your comment. I assume you are just (accurately) indicating that the same *principle* is involved in both examples. Perhaps a bit hyperbolic, but accurate, IMO...

BTW, I have to admit that a team named the Birmingham Slave Owners to commemorate the heritage of the south made me chuckle...

Edited by ezl 2008-02-28 12:43 PM

2008-02-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1241427

User image

Giver
mdg2003 - 2008-02-28 12:52 PM

I think comparing animal rights to human rights abuses is not the same. I'm not condoning abusing animals either.

You can look at any culture, country, business or anything that the human animal has ever been involved in and you will be hard pressed to find one that is pure as the driven snow. Somewhere, somehow, anytime more than one human being gets with another human being they will do something to damage the environment, plantlife, other human beings or animals. You eat fish Jim? If you eat any meat other than road kill, I don't think you can point the finger at whalers. You certainly can't compare it to slavery.

Not the same, maybe, but definitely comparable. I do eat fish, but not species that have been overfished.

The issue with the whaling industry is twofold: in it's heyday, it decimated many species, some of which still haven't recovered. Also, you're talking about slaughtering, not just intelligent, but sentient animals. That's not even in the same ballpark as responsible fishing. It'd be more like having an entire industry of killing chimpanzees for food.

But the basic premise of my argument is still that just becuase a thing is part of your heritage doesn't mean it by default should be glorified. It's widely recognized today that the whaling that was done was a bad thing, so how do you justify glorifying it? And that's where the parallel to slavery came in. They're not equitable, probably, but they are definitely comparable.

2008-02-28 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1223714

User image

Pro
Tejas

Ok, so where do you draw the line at sentient and intelligent in the food chain? More importantly, who gets to draw that line? I certainly don't qualify to make that distinction. Eating a species of fish that is not overfished really doesn't give you a pass here either. At one point in time whales were NOT being overfished. Who determines when the fish you eat is being overfished?

I apologize for the harpooned whale I posted previously. It was snarky at best, but tasteless nonetheless.

2008-02-28 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1242305

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
mdg2003 - 2008-02-28 3:10 PM

Ok, so where do you draw the line at sentient and intelligent in the food chain? More importantly, who gets to draw that line?

The Gods draw that line.

Only man is conceited enough to presume to know who should live and who should die.

Read "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.
2008-02-28 6:27 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Hey, I actually want a tri club to form and have to wear this garment once this gets going. So, we need a decent logo.

I'm not going to defend nor criticize the switch from whale oil to fossil fuel nor what happened over a hunderd years ago. But, it's endemic in our local culture. The New London high school teams are the Whalers, there's Whaling City Ford, the Whaler diner, Whale Oil Row, etc. It's everywhere. Frankly, it's our history and we don't eschew it. You're entitlied to.

Ironcally, we're also famous for having New London burned to the ground by Benedict Arnold, a native son of Norwich, CT. Nothing is named after him whatsoever. Odd that's never been forgiven nor would it still be accepted as appropriate to glorify him.

So, in local context, the name "Mystic Whalers" is appropriate despite one's position on the humanity of the practice. Benedict's or Arnold's or the like would likely be picketed and called out as insensitive to the slaughter which occured at Ft. Griswold where Arnold slay Cl. Ledyard with his own sword after he had surrendered the fort.

Florida St. Seminoles, Washington Redskins stay, but St. John's Redmen, Washington Bullets and Illinois Fighting Illini are out. Go figure. No blanket statements about what's acceptable or appropriate can apply. Locally, we have allowance to continue the name and few here would ever object.

Edited by pitt83 2008-02-28 6:33 PM
2008-02-29 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1242305

User image

Giver
mdg2003 - 2008-02-28 5:10 PM

Ok, so where do you draw the line at sentient and intelligent in the food chain? Somewhere below whales and above fish. More importantly, who gets to draw that line? Ultimately, God does I guess. But everyone is free make their own judgements I guess. I think it's pretty clear that whales are extremely intelligent. I certainly don't qualify to make that distinction. Eating a species of fish that is not overfished really doesn't give you a pass here either. At one point in time whales were NOT being overfished. Who determines when the fish you eat is being overfished? Fisheries biologists, mainly. It's all about whether populations are sustainable given fishing pressure.

I apologize for the harpooned whale I posted previously. It was snarky at best, but tasteless nonetheless. No problem...snarky I like.

Here's a question:

is any animal other than man suitable for human consumption, from a moral perspective at least? The Bible talks about all the animals of the land, the fish of the sea and the birds of the sky being under man's dominion. BUt I think the only animal it said specifically not to eat was the pig.

So...is it cool for us to eat whales, dolphins, chimps and gorillas? If Homo habilis were still around, would he taste good? 

2008-02-29 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1241316

User image

Elite
run4yrlif - 2008-02-28 12:14 PM

mdg2003 - 2008-02-28 12:03 PM I'm not suggesting it is right Jim. Whaling had a devastating effect on the species. All I'm saying is let the guy have his heritage. Suggesting he needs to own the whole whaling thing... that reeks of intolerance to me. Throwing the "slavery club" into the mix was just insulting and not necessay.

You don't see the parallel?

In the south, slavery is part of the heritage as much as whaling was to the northeast. Check it: whaling provided industry; so did slavery. Whaling today is seen as intolerably cruel; as is slavery. Are they so different?

Just because a thing is part of your heritage doesn't mean you should celebrate it. Apartheid was part of the culture in South Africa...should that be celebrated?

If you're going to glorify something as abomidable as whaling, you should at least not pretend that it was something it wasn't.

Whaling, hunting buffalo, going to the local farm and having the farmer kill a turkey for me is nothing similar to slavery. Maybe I could call it Red Headed Bastard Step Children for fun instead. Would that offend you more than a former source of heat?

If I had to kill a whale to keep my family warm for the winter, I would do it.

Edited by aarondavidson 2008-02-29 9:30 AM
2008-02-29 9:34 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
I like the first design.....that's my vote

Whales, slaves, turkeys, harvesting fruit, Toyota Prius, Alan Greenspan, and if Pluto is really a planet........

Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics.....in the end, you're still a ret@rd.

Again....I'm liking #1. That's my vote.
2008-02-29 1:44 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

So, we're OK with butchering anything on a massive scale so long as we don't perceive it to be intelligent? You think a codfish left on the deck of a trawler to die doesn't suffer as much as the whale in your photo did? If we don't think he's smart it is OK? Managing the pressure put on fisheries or populations does not alleviate the suffering of the species being harvested.

How can you measure intelligence in a being that can't communicate with you? Many of the animals we perceive to be intelligent might just be adapting to survive. Keep in mind that every animal on this planet has to eat at some point to survive. We take a chimp out of his habitat and put him in a cage. His instinct is to survive. If he learns to pull levers in a particular sequence to get a piece of fruit, is that intelligence or adaptation to survive? No way for him to forage in a laboratory. Adapt or die. I'm not suggesting animals aren't intelligent, just that survival is a big motivator. The motivation to survive might just be misinterpreted by us as intelligence.

I'm not  suggesting that it is wrong to eat animals. I'm just saying anything you kill to eat will suffer in the process, regardless of how intelligent we might perceive that animal to be. In that perspective I can't say that whaling is any more or less barbaric than bowhunting for deer. Whalers were just making a living to feed their families. Moby Dick, one of the best books ever written, gives us glimpse into the lives of these people.  That is the heritage our friends in Connecticut are proud of.

2008-02-29 5:00 PM
in reply to: #1244398

User image

Giver

Let's break it down into a simple question:

Was decimating whale populations...driving entire species to near extinction that to this day have not recovered...was that a good or bad thing? If you agree it was a bad thing, then how is it proper to glorify and romanticize it?

How about another analogy: today, the South American rainforests have been literally raped. Should that be glorified and romanticized a hundred years from now? If so, why? 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need help with logo design Rss Feed  

of 2