New Orleans, Louisiana
United States
Premier Event Management
Total Time = 2h 19m 32s
Overall Rank = 1846/2862
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 146/183
Pre-race routine:

The hotel didn't give me my wake-up call at 0530 like I requested, so I was in a major rush to get showered, dressed and down to the race in time for the start. Barely made it.
Event warmup:

The 1 mile jog to the race start to make it in time.
Run
  • 2h 19m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

As I stated in my logs, the plan was to use this as a training run and to slowly start the build back up towards Ironman Florida at the end of the year. I am much more out of shape than I was last year during this same race. Then again, I had IMAZ only a couple of months away, so it goes without saying that I was in better shape. Anyway, stayed with the training plan strategy since this was the first of 3 consecutive months with half marathons, so the build up was beginning here. Not to mention, I have to "play" a bit when I return to New Orleans. And that I did!

Anyway, back to the race.....The plan was to do 9:1 run/walk, but after getting caught up in the excitement of the race start and the fact that the first break would have been on Bourbon Street, I just kept going, then I felt too good to stop the second time, so I decided to wait till mile 3. So that turned into the plan. I ran the entire race except for miles 3, 6, 9, and 12, where I walked for about a minute to take in a Gu and some water, then it was back on my way.

The run felt good the entire way except around the 11-12 mile marks where I started to get some pain in my IT band/hip flexor area. I think this was due to wearing the Newtons for the first time for this distance. I have never hurt there before, so I think it was the pains associated with the "correct form" that the Newtons put you in. Other than that, all was good in the race. Powered through the aches and continued on at this Z2 pace and finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing other than set up a back up alarm so that I don't over sleep and miss the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line, dropped off my chip, walked up the ramp to the beer stands, grabbed two beers then walked back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training early in the year. And a few extra pounds that I haven't shed yet.

Event comments:

I really like this race. It is very flat and very well put on. A great early season race in a great city. Should be put on the schedule for a major BT get-together. Since this race is just before or just after the big Mardi Gras festivities, the crowds aren't as big in town, the hotels are very reasonably priced and you can't beat the fun in the city. Great food, great drinks, great times, and a little run thrown in. This is a must.

Last updated: 2008-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:19:32 | 13.1 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 146/183
Overall: 1846/2862
Performance: Good
Course: I really liked the new route this year. After doing this race a couple of times and running out to City Park and back, this was a fun change in that we were able to run down Bourbon Street and then out to Audubon Park and back. This is a much more scenic route as the homes through the Tulane/Loyola school areas are beautiful and running down Bourbon and St. Charles has so much character too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-26 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: Mardi Gras Half Marathon

2008-02-26 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1235654

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Mardi Gras Half Marathon
Great run Lane and I agree with  the back up alarm clocks!!
2008-02-26 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Lane,

I think we may be invisible to each other. I remember several times we both hide rides on the levy and failed to meet.

Like you said, we had to be real close the whole way. Nice job and keep up the good work.

I agree on this being a great destination race although I am afraid we could have alot of folks miss there wake up call.
2008-02-28 11:13 AM

User image

Queen BTich
Great job Lane. My mom said the course was new this year. Like it?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mardi Gras Half Marathon Rss Feed