Palouse Road Runners
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 48s
Overall Rank = bop/
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Race started at 10:00am and was a 2 hr drive so go up at 4, coffee and toast and peanut butter to start. Picked up C-cic and met the rest of our group for 2 car caravan down to Pullman. A stop at the rest stop and we were good. Picked up race number and got back in truck to stay warm. With 20mins to go, got in line again for the PP and then to the start line.
Event warmup:

No real warm up, just some loosening up. Thought I'd better save my warm up for the race. This is my 1st stand alone 1/2 mary and though I've done the distance, wasn't quite sure what to expect of myself.
Run
  • 2h 13m 48s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

It was WINDY!! The forcast was for 20mph and it didn't disappoint. The only thing was it was blowing from the wrong direction for me. I'd hoped for a big tough headwind on the way out and then lots of help to blow me to the finish. Instead, we made very good time to the turnaround and then UGH!! The pace slowed quite a lot. Sometimes, the gusts would just about stop my forward progress altogether. I talked to one guy and he aaid "Oh, it'll get better around that next bend". HA!! It got worse and the last weather report I checked was for 26+mph in the canyon.
I had to walk and was feeling kind of bad then remembered that everyone else out there was dealing with the same conditions and that got me going again. The last 3/4mi, I tried to pick up the pace some and started passing people, a big sprint at the end to fend off a challenge and we were done. I'm slow enough that AG podium is NOT an issue for me but it was satisfying to go faster than I'd thought I could.
What would you do differently?:

Since I can't change the weather, not very much. Probably start my last min surge a bit earlier but this time, that was everything I had.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched some, the backs of my legs were really sore and I was worried for a while about cramps but good luck there. Watched C=cic finish, she looked really strong and smooth. Met Flyboy and Soretaint at the end, they went way faster than me so I didn't see them out on the road.
A cup of water and 2 gatorades and a couple of cookies and we were freezing so hit the road for Pullman and WSU looking for a Starbucks, then done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

WIND!!!!

Event comments:

I had a great time today! The course was flat and the wind was very challenging but this is a PR for this distance for me so what's not to like. The Gatorade tasted good as did the cookies. I'll go back next year for sure!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:13:48 | 13.2 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along the Snake River. Flat as a pancake, I think 20 ft total elevation change.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %>!%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-04 7:21 AM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Snake River Canyon Half Marathon

2008-03-04 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1250766

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Snake River Canyon Half Marathon
Wow, great run!  You looked strong out there, and I can attest to the big smile you wore when I saw you after the turnaround, despite the wind!  2:13 - FANtastic!
2008-03-04 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Great job Mason! The wind was definitely a killer. It was good to see you and your sis at the end of the race. You still had a big smile on your face, so you are officially insane like all of us I guess.
2008-03-05 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Strong race Mason!  It was good to see you guys down there.  Here's hoping next year the wind won't be so bad, eh?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snake River Canyon Half Marathon Rss Feed