General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Freakin' out about the open water swim!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-07 6:39 AM

Subject: Freakin' out about the open water swim!!

Okay.....I am digging this tri thing.....I am 40 yrs old and I just dropped 62 lbs. and I am fierce!!! BUT-I am freaking out about an upcoming tri-I have to swim in a lake-yikes. I am a pool swimmer and the thought of stuff in a lake that will touch me is making me into a train wreck.....I need words of wisdom, encouragment.....help!

2008-03-07 6:42 AM
in reply to: #1258020

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Freakin' out about the open water swim!!

Yes, we've all been there and it can be intimidating.  My recommendation?  If at all possible get to the lake and do a few swims just so you can familiarize yourself with all the feelings of open water.  I didn't do that, and my first open water swim was a disaster!

And welcome to BT!!  Congrats on your success!!

2008-03-07 6:51 AM
in reply to: #1258022

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Daremo - 2008-03-07 7:42 AM

Yes, we've all been there and it can be intimidating.  My recommendation?  If at all possible get to the lake and do a few swims just so you can familiarize yourself with all the feelings of open water.  I didn't do that, and my first open water swim was a disaster!

And welcome to BT!!  Congrats on your success!!

x2. I didn't do that and well my first two tris I completely aborted the swim. After that I started swimming in a lake to get a feel for it. It took me a while and I still don't care for it but the best thing you can do is be calm because if you're not it won't be much fun. Stick with it because once you get over that fear it's great! The first time I came out of the water into T1 was great.
2008-03-07 7:04 AM

User image

Master
What they said, and get into the water and warm up a bit on race day. You'll get over the shock of the water temperature/clarity, so those won't be issues when the gun goes off. Swim a bit until you are able to relax and breathe comfortably. That should help your comfort and confidence, so you can relax and worry more about the kicking and slapping going on all around you!
2008-03-07 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
I'm doing my first tri (LoneStar), it is an open water swim and I've been training in a pool just like the other 95% of us. The way I figure it, I'm swimming in water...the depth or length doesn't matter because it's just water.

And say you do die...what better way to go out than doing the thing you love to do?
2008-03-07 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1258053

Thank goodness for a chute start.......

I just need to have some confidence.....I have spent my whole life as an actress and I do stand up- I am so at home in front of thousands of people....but get me in a lake and I turn into a train wreck. I owe it to myself to make it work-I have come way too far to turn back now because of a little seaweed, sea serpents, the loch ness monster, or any other sea monster that lurks in the lakes in Michigan....I'll be just fine. :o

2008-03-07 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

I'm terrified of open water too - but only when training, isn't that weird?  Day of the tri and I'm fine, too busy thinking about everything else to be nervous about that.

I find that swimming with people eases the tension, try to find a group to go with.....(you wouldn't happen to be in the northeast, would you?)

2008-03-07 7:43 AM

User image

Buttercup

The nice thing about water animals is that they're either going to go after the very front of the pack or the very back of the pack. So, if you are somewhere in between, you have nothing to fear.

As one of my favorite BTers once told me, that's what the guys in the kayaks are for - to beat off the sea beasts!

And your adrenaline will be pumping so hard that you'll barely notice the seaweed. Is there seaweed in Lake Michigan?

2008-03-07 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1258114

As far as I'm concerned....there is seaweed in EVERY lake in Michigan. I'll do it.....I have always found a way to make it work......
2008-03-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1258094

User image

Master
janetplanet - 2008-03-07 8:33 AM

Thank goodness for a chute start.......

I just need to have some confidence.....I have spent my whole life as an actress and I do stand up- I am so at home in front of thousands of people....but get me in a lake and I turn into a train wreck. I owe it to myself to make it work-I have come way too far to turn back now because of a little seaweed, sea serpents, the loch ness monster, or any other sea monster that lurks in the lakes in Michigan....I'll be just fine.

The lakes in Michigan are quite warm and pleasant during tri season, and the monsters are all quite friendly.
2008-03-07 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Like the other poster's have suggested, the more you swim OW before the race, the better off you will be, you will get used to stuff touching you and the darker water. I don't think I've ever heard of a swimmer being eaten by a freshwater fish

2008-03-07 7:59 AM

User image

I had spent a lot of time swimming in lakes, so I didn't think the open water swim would be much of an issue my first tri. Boy was I wrong. My advice is start slow. You can always build your speed as you go. It is a lot harder to recover if you start fast and start to hyperventilate. Then you panick and your swim is ruined. Also, depending on how the start is, try to stay to the outside or back of your wave. This will keep you out of some of the traffic.
If you want to take it a bit more extreme, you can always take this training approach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
I never get sick of that! Good luck!
2008-03-07 9:02 AM

User image

Urbana, Maryland

I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

I had some of the same concerns you did plus I knew I couldn’t swim very far (poor technique) without getting exhausted. 

I trained hard (in a pool) for my first open water swim which was the race.  When I actually hit the open water, I was fine.  The hard part is getting to the starting line.  As I was swimming I remember thinking to myself; “This is it?  I thought this was going to be hard”?

If I can do it, I know you can.  You’ll be fine.

----
Rob
Triathlon Swimming Squidoo

Edited by randomescape 2008-03-07 9:03 AM
2008-03-07 9:08 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
My first tri was an open water ocean swim...I had one practice swim on a very cold rough rainy day...It didn't help me much.  The day of the race...I couldn't put my head in the water, because I couldn't see, and I hadn't practices spotting, so I swam with my head up, the back of my wetsuit cut into the back of my neck...I have since done a couple lake tris and havn't had that problem...in September I will attempt an Ocean swim again...This time I am going to do a few more practice swims in the ocean!
2008-03-07 9:11 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Okay so this is right up my alley.......people always laugh at me because we start talking about races we are going to do and they will say "oh that lake is so clear and beautiful - you can see - it is so nice".....I just look at them and laugh and say "I only do the races that have merky water that I can not see what is under me....I don't want know what is down there...

So obviously practicing and getting some of the willies out before the race is ideal. If that can not happen then you are going to have to have some conversations with yourself. Race day adrenaline and excitment will help a little...but of course you will still be a little apprehensive about the lake. Generally speaking after about the first five minutes or so you will probably get into a rythm and will calm down a lot. It's defnately a mental thing. Find something to focus on....concentrating on staying at someones feet....or a particular part of your stroke. Calm breathing....staying relaxed....having fun. I always remember that the swim is the shortest part (I'm not sure what distance you are doing)....but I just say to myself...I can do anything for "30 mintues" or however long it is. Think about someone who has to overcome something much greater to help you move through the water; such as the "Hoyts" where he actually pulled is son on a boat throught the water....OMG or Sarah Reinstein that swims with a disablity.

You may find that you actually like swimming in the lake better than the pool. Aside for sometimes not liking what I am swimming with.....I really enjoy the lake much better than the pool. I feel like I get a better workout.....I dont have all that cholrine tearing my skin apart. No flip turns......the time goes by much quicker in a lake then in the pool.

You will do great. It really is all about the attitude.

2008-03-07 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1258369

Thanks so much for the awesome support - the Hoyts have always amazed me! I think I need to be thankful that I am able to do this.....I have come so far. Ocean swim??.....you are amazing!

2008-03-07 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

I can relate.  I'm a strong swimmer by triathlon standards but still had trouble with OWS.  Some of it is just mental, some physical.

Mental:  You can't see or touch the bottom, maybe you can barely see your hands,  you can't see that familiar black line.  Land looks like it is far away, the next buoy looks far away, no lane lines to grab if you panick.  You might have to swim through some kelp. You can get over all of this panick-provoking stuff with a few OWS practices and some mental visual exercises of seeing yourself rock in the swim segment.

Physical:  The water can be cold, which shocks your body upon entry and raises your heartrate.  Lifting your head forward to sight isn't natural for a pool swimmer and can be tiring, which raises your heart rate.  You have a tendency to start out way too fast with all the excitement, which raises the heartrate.  To overcome all this you just need to warm up in the water before the race to get your body used to the temperature, and practice sighting during OWS and pool swims.  And dont' start too fast!

In the end it's just a matter of gaining a bit of OWS confidence and you'll be fine.  Swimming in a lake or ocean really isn't much different from swimming in a pool. You just need to convince your mind and body of that to avoid that freak out / panic thing!

Brian 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Freakin' out about the open water swim!! Rss Feed