SCOR Cardiac Cyclists Club
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 18m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Santa Barbara Friday night, woke up at 4:30, packed the car and took off around 5. Ate oatmeal with protein powder and had a 4-shot Starbucks mocha. Waited in the 6am potty line at race registration.
Event warmup:

N/A
Bike
  • 5h 18m 4s
  • 100.77 miles
  • 19.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Died at mile 80, I think mostly due to nutrition. SAG stations were at miles 20, 40, 60, 72, 90. I passed mile 72 expecting to see one around mile 80, but nothing. And I didn't realize I didn't have enough water to make it past that.

Road in pace lines most of the way. When I died around mile 80 I couldn't keep up with the pace lines as I was already toward the front of the ride and most people were riding fast. I don't think at my 12mph a pace line would have helped much anyway.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to use Aero Drink without it spilling *everywhere*. I had to empty the aero drink at the first SAG stop so that it didn't ruin my computer. Need more practice with this ASAP.
Post race
Warm down:

A couple beers, water, and a sports drink. Some protein bars on the car ride home and a couple hours later had a huge and delicious burrito. Probably should have stretched more. Realized after the race that my knee was really swollen and aching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I blame it on nutrition. I could also use more hill work, but I have been trying to focus on that lately. Maybe I should have saved more energy for the end of the race, but I wanted to try pushing myself the whole way. And it worked well until mile 80.

Last updated: 2008-03-05 12:00 AM
Biking
05:18:04 | 100.77 miles | 19.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Very scenic course, lots of hills, and also lots of very rough road. The worst hill by far was mile 85. The hill at mile 90 that everyone talks about wasn't really that bad -- it was pretty short (and immediately after a SAG stop so you can rest a bit). Miles 90-100 were FUN! Mostly downhill, winding road, great views, and I think a bit of a tailwind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-10 8:47 AM

Dana Point, CA
Subject: Solvang Century & Half Century

2008-03-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1262546

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Solvang Century & Half Century
kudos to you finishing at around 19mph. Congrats on a super fast time on which I thought was a pretty tough course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Solvang Century & Half Century Rss Feed