Sun Strides
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 07m 49s
Overall Rank = 8/95
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 am. Ate a Clif Bar, banana, and sipped on some HEED up to race time.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and a little jogging.
Run
  • 1h 07m 49s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was a big unknown to me. Long runs were up to about 10 miles previously but I hadn't really done one for a few weeks. I'd also been having hip flexor pain that kicked in at about an hour.

I started off comfortably but was not quite sure of my pace as my Garmin battery died. Unfortunately, this didn't improve as the course was marked in KILOMETERS? WTF? Now I have to do math while I run? Only thing I could do was figure out my rough pace at every 5k. As my splits show, they were all over.
Anyway, I felt very strong throughout but wasn't sure how to really exert myself as this distance is new to me and I didn't want to bonk. Also, the aid stations had only water so no re-fueling on the way. I sat around 5th place or so for awhile but was passed by three guys around 8k. With about 5k left I felt like I still had a lot left in the tank so I really picked it up, running the last 5k at sub-7:00 pace. I passed two of the three guys and finished very strong, with plenty left.
What would you do differently?:

Explain the common measurement of distance in the U.S. to the race directors?
I have no experience really racing at this distance so this was kind of trial by error. I kind of was shooting for 7:30/mile, ran 7:15, and probably could have been closer to 7:00?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, drank and ate. Cheered my brother in who was only an impressive five minutes behind me. He's my little (but taller) brother and already has a couple of great half-mary finishes under his belt. Was really cool running a race together as he's relatively new to the sport but improving rapidly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above.

Event comments:

Look, there are some basic expectations to be had in really any running race nowadays and this race fell short in many areas:
(1) Price: $45! AND NO SHIRT! Are you kidding me? I had to buy the shirt for an extra $5. And it was a crap shirt. I understand this was a charity race but they are ALL charity races. Sorry, but I don't feel like I have to cough up 100% of the charity's funds in one event.
(2) Chip time: yes, it's a smaller event but every race organizer out there that is doing multiple events should have this capability. Had to wait 1.5 hours for results.
(3) Aid stations: Any event going over one hour needs to have something besides water available, even if it's just Gatorade.
(4) Distance markers: marked by the half kilometer. I know we were 12 miles from the Mexican border but it's still America. My brain was as fatigued as my legs after this one, trying to guesstimate pace splits.

Last updated: 2008-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:07:49 | 9.32 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 7/95
Performance: Average
5k (22:46)(7:19/mile) 7k (34:30)(7:24/mile) 10k (46:10 or 23:24 segment)(7:32/mile) 15k (21:25)(6:54/mile)
Course: Flat out and back with a loop. All on sidewalks or badly cambered roads. Course was right along Mission Bay and crossed a bridge over to Fiesta Island for the loop. And, most importantly, at sea level.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-03-10 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: San Diego Resolution Run 15k

2008-03-10 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1263586

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Subject: RE: San Diego Resolution Run 15k

Great job on running faster than you wanted!  I remember my senior year in HS at the LAST meet of the season...the course was marked every kilo instead of mile, so none of us had a clue how fast we were running.  The 15k though, sorry the race organization was poor, that's a fun distance (even though I've just done one!).

Edited by davealt 2008-03-10 6:49 PM
2008-03-10 11:01 PM
in reply to: #1263586

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: San Diego Resolution Run 15k
Great race bro! Had a ball running it with you. Maybe if I shed the 50 lbs that seperates our weights I will catch up with you. Not likely... Thanks for making the trip down to beautiful San Diego.

Have to agree that it was one of the worst run events I have done. My favorite was the start line. "Ladies and Gentlemen, the starting line is between the cone and the tree". NICE. How about a simple sign?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego Resolution Run 15k Rss Feed