United States
The Crescent City Fitness foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 57m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 a.m. to meet the chicks at Wal-mart at 5 to drive to New Orleans. Warmed up the jaw muscles by talking for the whole 2 hours with my 4 friends in the car. Somewhere along the route I ate a Powerbar Threat (or something like that). I usually don't eat but I was STARVING.
Event warmup:

Walked and found port-o-let. Walked and found rest of friends that were staying in New Orleans. Walked to our choral.
Run
  • 57m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't done this run in over 6 years so it was good to do this one again. HOWEVER, they really need to do something about the walkers. I'm not talking about the powerwalkers, I'm talking about the people strolling along, side by side and not caring that they were in the way of the runners. It was really bad and I saw one lady twist her ankle trying to go around a walker and another guy have to stop really fast and he slid to the ground when he stopped. Runners were getting very hostile and yelling at the walkers and the walkers were yelling back. It took me 11 minutes to get to the first mile (that isn't including the 5 minutes to get to the start) because of all the stopping I had to do. Now, on the positive note - Kick A$$ Post Race Party like always!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Carrying a stun gun and use it on the walkers that wouldn't get out of the way.
Post race
Warm down:

Jambalaya, lots and lots of Abita Lite Beer and Subway sandwiches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Those stupid walkers.

Last updated: 2008-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
It took me over 5 minutes to finally reach the START banner.
Course: I really like the course. It is very scenic but you do have to look at the ground a lot to make sure you don't fall into a crack, hole, etc.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-03-24 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Subject: Crescent City Classic

2008-03-24 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1289134

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: RE: Crescent City Classic

Nice job Allyson. Glad to know I wasn't the only one that saw all of the hostility between the walkers/runners. It was getting ugly out there!

Glad you had fun at the after party. It was definitely a good one!

2008-03-25 7:04 PM

Veteran
Nice job not killing anyone. Ive done this race a bunch of times and the trick is to put a real fast time ( a lot faster than your real race time) on your registration paper so they start you in the front wave.
2008-03-26 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1293306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Tri-a-betic - 2008-03-25 7:04 PM

Nice job not killing anyone. Ive done this race a bunch of times and the trick is to put a real fast time ( a lot faster than your real race time) on your registration paper so they start you in the front wave.

Ohhhh....very clever and tricky!!!!! I like it! I like it!
2008-03-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1294471

User image

Baton Rouge
I ran it this year too (54:53) and was hoping that the chaos at the start I experienced 2 years ago was just a fluke. NOpe, this year was worse. I will not do this race again until that is fixed. Why the hell they give out colored bibs and then don't enforce corral assignments is not only ridiculous, but also extremely dangerous.

I've renamed this race the Crescent City Clusterf&*#!!!!!
2008-03-26 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1294714

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Lance26.2 - 2008-03-26 10:49 AM

I ran it this year too (54:53) and was hoping that the chaos at the start I experienced 2 years ago was just a fluke. NOpe, this year was worse. I will not do this race again until that is fixed. Why the hell they give out colored bibs and then don't enforce corral assignments is not only ridiculous, but also extremely dangerous.

I've renamed this race the Crescent City Clusterf&*#!!!!!

The Crescet City Clusterf&*#!!!! I've gotta share that with my friends. We should have it put on shirts. I think my group from Mobile is going to send letters/e-mails to the race director. If enough people voice their opinion and race report then maybe they will do something about the situation. I know at the Peachtree 10 they actually have gates that you are choraled in and not allowed into a choral unless you are wearing that bib color.

2008-03-26 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1294859

User image

Baton Rouge
My email that I just sent to the CCC RD. We'll see if I get a response or not.....

Not sure if this will make it to the RD or not, but hopefully his/her mailbox is already flooded with similar complaints.

I ran this race in 2006 and thought then that it might be just an exception to the norm, a bad year being the first race post-Katrina, but after running this race again last weekend, it seems to be a serious issue/concern.

I'm not sure why your registration process asks for estimated finish times? Furthermore, I'm not sure why you guys even bother with colored bibs that supposedly represent different start/corral assignments? For the second time in as many races, I have never seen so many runners and especially walkers out of place at the beginning of a race of this size. I am not a super fast runner by any means, but for the first 2 miles I constantly found myself literally running over walkers (some even walking 4-5 across) and slower runners who were lined up well to the front of the starting line that should have been lined up well in the back.

It is time to fix this issue before more people are injured. Either advertise the race start as a "first come first serve" start, or enforce corral assignments based on projected times. Don't continue to give the false impression of having the start being corralled by color assignments when there is no enforcement whatsoever of those assignments.

Thanks,
Lance
2008-03-26 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Since we are sharing.....here is my e-mail that I sent to [email protected] hope the race director is getting bogged down with e-mails about this situation. It was just ridiculous. They could learn a few things from the folks that put on the Peachtree 10k.

I'm not sure if this is the e-mail I need to send my complaint to but if not please forward this on to the correct person/party.

I haven't done this race in 6 years and really looked forward to taking part in it this past Saturday. As I remember, the course was scenic and the post race party ROCKED. Now, here is my complaint.......something has got to be done about the walkers on the course. I'm not talking about the power walkers but the people that were on the course "strolling" along. I am an 8 minute miler and it took me over 11 minutes to get from the starting line to the first mile and not because the other runners were in my way. The walkers were ridiculous and I witnessed one lady twist her ankle trying to get around a group of walkers and another guy slid to the group while attempting to dodge a group of walkers. I don't have a remedy for this situation but something needs to be done. We brought a large group of runners from Mobile to the CCC and we are talking about boycotting this race until something is done. Everything else about the race (in my opinion) was great. Good job with the water stops and support.

Thank you for your time and I hope the race director and his/her crew can come up with a solution.
2008-03-26 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1295820

User image

Baton Rouge
DId you get a reply from the RD? Just got mine....kind of a jerk!!! May post it here, may not
2008-03-27 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Did not receive reply. Please post so I can share with my friends here in Mobile.
2008-03-27 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1296876

User image

Baton Rouge
RD's response:

Actually, Lance,

Most people understand the difficulties of policing an open course like we
have and cut us some slack.
Furthermore, most understand that the problem is really caused by people
starting down from the staging area.

However, since you are the second one to comment, I will again take a moment
to explain (as best I can) that we continually try different things to
discourage people from jumping in on the course. Unfortunately, the
suggestions offered by entrants are usually pretty harsh, pretty expensive,
or downright impractical. It seems impossible to prevent people from
cheating on the course.

Of course, we always welcome your suggestions.
By the way ... 15 e-mails wanting to know how to pick up shirt, 8 wanting to
know how to claim Top 500 Posters, 2 Start issues, 1 change the name the
entrant entered ... go figure!

Rick Lusky (RD)

2008-03-27 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
What a @#$% jerk! Thanks for sharing!
2008-03-27 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Here is my response from the race director:

Most people understand the difficulties of policing an open course like we
have. We continually try to tighten staging group entrances.

Particularly the seeded group staging areas.

This year we had 75 Marines assigned to this task.

Unfortunately, we find that the problem is also aggravated by people starting down on the course.
We are open to suggestions from runners and other race directors.
We continually look for different things to discourage people from jumping in on the course.
Unfortunately, the suggestions offered by most entrants are usually pretty harsh,
pretty expensive, or downright impractical, like hiring snipers.

Rest assured that we will continue to focus on this annoy (and potentially dangerous) issue.

Sorry this caused you grief & I am glad you had a good time otherwise.

Larry....
2008-03-27 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1297292

User image

Baton Rouge
guess I caught him in a bad mood or something!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent City Classic Rss Feed