General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to live in WA? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-25 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: Where to live in WA?

There's a decent chance I'll be transfered this summer to our company based in Tacoma.

In terms of where to live, the #1 priority is good schools, then (for me, anyway) short commute, then convenient pool, then convenient run/bike routes.

Just looking at things online, it looks like the good schools in the Tacoma area are in Gig Harbor or University Place.  How's the tri scene in the area?

I'll be doing a lot of work in the Seattle area, so one downside of living in Tacoma is driving up to Seattle 2 or 3 times a week.  Anyone do this?  Another option is to live on the Eastside (good schools) and commute to Tacoma 2 or 3 times a week. 

Thoughts? Recommendations?  Are there good biking areas everywhere?

Brian

2008-03-25 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1291698

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Where to live in WA?

I live in Puyallup/South Hill -- excellent schools. Pools to choose from: Rogers High and the Korum YMCA. There's an LA Fitness coming in soon as well (to the south towards Graham).

I've stayed away from Tacoma itself, and tended to be east on the north/south corridor along SR 167, not that the traffic is any better there...

2008-03-25 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
I would recommend private school. I don't have a good opinion of any of the state's school districts.

I live in North Tacoma near Pt Defiance Park, a great place to ride & run. I train solo because I work rotating shifts, but there's a pretty solid Tri community here. I currently use the YMCA, but might switch to LA Fitness after they complete the new gym within a mile of my home.

Look around the north & northeast parts of Tacoma, as with any decent sized city, there are good & bad areas, stay away from the south & east areas. I had to commute to Seattle 10 years ago & the traffic was horrible then & worse now. The Gig Harbor to Port Orchard area is nice & the traffic is much better now that they've completed the new toll bridge. If you choose to live east of Seattle, it will cost you considerable more. Good luck & bring your umbrella.
2008-03-26 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
The house next door to me is for sale.....it's in Sammamish (eastside).  My cousin commutes from here to Tacoma daily, and my father in law does it 2x a week.  Schools are good, tri people are here, there are a lot of gyms with pools, etc.  It does rain a lot, but that is the way it goes around here!  Good luck. I would suggest maybe a trip out here to see for yourself!  There's also a commuter train from Tacoma to Seattle, so maybe that is something you can think about for your job.
2008-03-26 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1294926

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Medusa_Ann - 2008-03-26 11:50 AM The house next door to me is for sale.....it's in Sammamish (eastside).  My cousin commutes from here to Tacoma daily, and my father in law does it 2x a week.  Schools are good, tri people are here, there are a lot of gyms with pools, etc.  It does rain a lot, but that is the way it goes around here!  Good luck. I would suggest maybe a trip out here to see for yourself!  There's also a commuter train from Tacoma to Seattle, so maybe that is something you can think about for your job.

How long does it take for him to get to Tacoma in the mornings?

I like the idea of living on the Eastside if I can stand the commute.  I was born in Seattle, grew up in Bellevue, and know the area relatively well (though I left when nobody knew Microsoft, Before Starbucks, before grunge music, and when housing was cheap....)

Brian

2008-03-26 7:06 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Well. My 2 cents which is never usually worth anything. I live in Renton and commute 40 minutes to Seattle 5 days a week.  It's close to Eastside, Westside, SouthSide etc and it's a great place to train. Close enough for Eastside tri's like Kirkland and Enumclaw etc and also for ones in the south end and in Seattle suburbia.  I usually bike to Seward Park in the summer, swim etc...you can literally spend the whole day training if you'd like. The area isn't that bad, has great trails, loads of hills etc.   There's a tri club in Kent called Raise the Bar too and that's close by.

Ok. I am done  

2008-03-27 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1296223

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
famelec - 2008-03-26 5:02 PM

Medusa_Ann - 2008-03-26 11:50 AM The house next door to me is for sale.....it's in Sammamish (eastside).  My cousin commutes from here to Tacoma daily, and my father in law does it 2x a week.  Schools are good, tri people are here, there are a lot of gyms with pools, etc.  It does rain a lot, but that is the way it goes around here!  Good luck. I would suggest maybe a trip out here to see for yourself!  There's also a commuter train from Tacoma to Seattle, so maybe that is something you can think about for your job.

How long does it take for him to get to Tacoma in the mornings?

I like the idea of living on the Eastside if I can stand the commute.  I was born in Seattle, grew up in Bellevue, and know the area relatively well (though I left when nobody knew Microsoft, Before Starbucks, before grunge music, and when housing was cheap....)

Brian

It's changed a lot around here since SBUX, MSFT etc!  Housing prices are really insane.  My cousin says he leaves around 7 and comes back at 4 and it takes approximately an hour to get to Tacoma from Sammamish most days.

Good luck with your decision.....personally I wish I still lived IN Seattle, but moved to the 'burbs for the schools and because we could afford enough square footage and have a nice yard.  Plus my husband works in Kirkland.  So there ya go!

-Leslie

2008-03-27 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
I'd say move to Seattle. I almost took a job in Tacoma, and I was going to move to West Seattle. Any commute is brutal here (and I just moved from LA traffic!), because there are a lack of options for commuters.
2008-04-08 11:38 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Eastsider through and through... I vote Bellevue! Schools great, close to ALL FREEWAYS, and TRAFFIC SUCKS EVERYWHERE!!
2008-04-09 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1325284

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

swbkrun - 2008-04-08 11:38 PM Eastsider through and through... I vote Bellevue! Schools great, close to ALL FREEWAYS, and TRAFFIC SUCKS EVERYWHERE!!

I grew up in Clyde Hill, which is a great neighberhood, great schools, close to freeways, etc.  The frustrating thing about Clyde Hill is that, while I make tons more money than my parents ever did, I don't think I can afford a home in the area now...

I'll be in the Seattle/Tacoma area for a week later this month and I'll try to finalize this job stuff.  It's looking like Gig Harbor or University Place are at the top of the list at the moment (the main office is in Tacoma), though if it looks like I'll have to work a lot in the Seattle area, then somewhere on the Eastside looks good.  

Brian 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to live in WA? Rss Feed