General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint tri during training - taper, recovery ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-27 4:21 PM

Regular
Subject: Sprint tri during training - taper, recovery ???
Hi all! I am new at this and training for my first Olympic distance triathlon in July. I am using the couch to Oly training program. Now I have talked myself into entering two sprint triathlons before the Oly. The first in May and the second a month later in June. I'm not too worried about being ready (I think I am ready for the first now and am telling myself I will be ready for the second when it comes. The question is, when do I taper or do I even taper for the first. It will be a .5 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run. I will be at the end of my last week of building for the month (5h 39m bike, 2h 48m run, 2h 48m swim for the week) Then should I give myself a day off or just count the race day as training and move to my next week (recovery). The second race (.75m swim, 18m bike, 4.5m run) falls right at the end of my recovery week but is on my rest day. Should I switch some days around? I have 2 weeks extra to train when my plan finishes before the Oly so I thought I'd just keep building and then taper before the final race of my first season.

I just want to make sure my body is ready so I don't start out tired. I'm not looking to win, just have fun, finish, learn how to pace myself, get through the transitions and get mistakes out of my way, and have my 4 kids and DH cheering me all the way

2008-03-27 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1298305

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Sprint tri during training - taper, recovery ???

If it were me, I would focus on the Oly first and foremost.  When the sprints came, I would either move some things around or take one day off before the race or train very easy.  Then I would recover long enough to feel like you can get back into it.  For me, I would take the next day off or a maybe a very easy bike or run, then get back to it for real the day after that, even if it has to be another easier workout.

Just listen to your body and lots of luck!

2008-03-27 4:43 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
If the oly were my main goal...I would probably treat these as training. That said, I would take a day or two off beforehand, race the sprint at whatever pace I could, and then get back to training as soon as I could... probably take 1 day off afterward, maybe none, depends how I feel afterward.

2008-03-27 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
I am training for an oly in April, and I did a sprint two weeks ago. I treated it as just a long training day. I took the day off before, and one day afterwards. The second day after, I was back on my training schedule. I raced the sprint giving almost full effort, but not really. Just really depends what you think your body can handle. For some reference, my brick yesterday was longer than the sprint
2008-03-27 8:53 PM

Regular
Thanks for all the great replies. I think will treat it like a training day but at least take the day before it off. I am looking forward to getting a race under my belt - I already have the jitters! I just hope it will have warmed a bit. May in Idaho can still call for snow and I don't want to ride wet if it is freezing outside.

Thanks to all!

2008-03-28 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1298808

User image

Master
St. Louis
slusser - 2008-03-27 8:53 PM

Thanks for all the great replies. I think will treat it like a training day but at least take the day before it off. I am looking forward to getting a race under my belt - I already have the jitters! I just hope it will have warmed a bit. May in Idaho can still call for snow and I don't want to ride wet if it is freezing outside.

Thanks to all!

I think your greatest benefit is just that... getting out your race jitters. Learning how to set up your TA, and do quick trannies is good experience too!

2008-03-28 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1299202

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
ranger5oh - 2008-03-28 7:31 AM

slusser - 2008-03-27 8:53 PM

Thanks to all!

I think your greatest benefit is just that... getting out your race jitters. Learning how to set up your TA, and do quick trannies is good experience too!

This is a huge reason to do the race. Learning transitions is something that can't really be practiced at home. I remember at my first sprint, I spend a total of 8 or 9 minutes in transition!! My second time, I was only in transition for about 2.5 minutes (stupid socks...) Learning how everything works on race day is probably the best reason to do the sprints before the bigger oly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint tri during training - taper, recovery ??? Rss Feed