Trievents
29C / 84F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 52s
Overall Rank = 368/382
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 24/27
Pre-race routine:

We went out to a good-bye dinner for a friend last night and stayed quite late, so I was really happy with the daylight savings changeover overnight giving us an extra hour of sleep! The other added bonus was that we live very close to Hillarys so we didn't have to get up until 6am. We both got ready the night before, in the morning we had some Sustain and skim milk, then rode down to the event.
Event warmup:

Is was soooo cold and windy this morning! I'm really glad I packed my jumper and tracksuit pants, I kept them on until the very last minute. Then I jogged up and down the beach a few times and had a swim. It helped!
Swim
  • 21m 28s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was beautiful. The water was crystal clear and there were no waves. I really enjoyed myself, I got into a good pace and kept it up all the way through. I drafted when I could but most people were faster than me so I was mainly on my own. I really wish I owned a wet suit!!!
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, save up for a wet suit (or keep trying to win one!).
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good. No mistakes today.

Not a lot.
Bike
  • 54m 51s
  • 21.5 kms
  • 23.52 km/hr
Comments:

It was SO WINDY. I should be used to it because I ride this way on my morning training rides, but it seemed especially bad this morning. I measured the distance on my bike computer and it was a bit further than 20 k :)

I'm pretty slow on hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good, no mistakes :)

Nothing.
Run
  • 35m 41s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 08s  min/km
Comments:

I had a Gu in T2 before the run, I've done it before without any issues but today my stomach didn't like it at all. I had gas and cramps through most of the run and had to make 2 seperate toilet stops, which added on a few minutes to my overall time. I'm not exactly sure why there was a problem today, but I generally have gut issues when I run, I won't go into details but it doesn't surprise me I had problems today because it happens so often. Anyway - the run was also really hot. I was pretty knackered by the time the run came round, and I was very tempted to walk, but I managed to run all the way which I was surprised and pleased about. The run turnaround felt like it took forever to get to!

Fitness. Find strategies to manage gut issues :)
Post race
Warm down:

Ate 1/2 banana and drank a bit of water. Stayed back to watch the presentations and hoped I would win a wetsiut or the bike - I didn't :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting sick and doing close to no exercise for 3 weeks before the event.

Event comments:

Well, considering I was strongly wanting to withdraw from this race yesterday I think I did really well, not only did I finish but I ran all the way too. I couldn't have done much more. I know I'm slow but I'm getting better at not letting that get to me. I know I can do much better because my women's tri time was 20 mins faster, I just wasn't in good physical shape today. I really enjoyed doing a race so close to home that incorporated my usual bike route. It even ran past Abby's dog beach! I definitely hope to be back here next year. I would also like to think that I'll always do the long course distances from now on.

Last updated: 2007-12-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:28 | 750 meters | 02m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/27
Overall: 103/382
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Beach start, swam straight out to a buoy, made a 90 degree turn to another buoy, then another 90 degree turn into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:51 | 21.5 kms | 23.52 km/hr
Age Group: 24/27
Overall: 102/382
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Three laps along the coast road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:41 | 05 kms | 07m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 26/27
Overall: 113/382
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-30 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Hillarys Triathlon

2008-03-31 2:34 AM
in reply to: #1302343

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: Hillarys Triathlon

I think you did really well considering you were going to pull out and not do the race!  plus it was tough weather yesterday.

eating and running don't always go to well together.  I'd be thinking if you are going to have a gel on a sprint tri to have it before the race starts.  or if you need one during the race to have it on the bike.  you have a chance to digest it before the run.   plus have can drink down enough water to help digest it.

often on the run people have a gel but not enough water to digest it causing tummy upsets.

2008-03-31 11:48 PM

Perth

Good on ya for giving this a go...new distance and after your little lay off...

Great result too, you can't underestimate the toll on your times when you jump up in distance.

Well done.

2008-04-02 2:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

I'm with Mel, try a gel 15 mins before you get off the bike, with plenty of water (not gatorade). It'll give you the kick you need and a chance for your stomach to settle. I used to have massive gut issues, but with many a trial I have managed to over come them.

Anyway back to the race, congrats for getting out there, not giving in and giving it your all even though you weren't 100%. You're going to start next season very strong!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hillarys Triathlon Rss Feed