General Discussion Race Reports! » 10th Annual Inside-Out Sports Classic - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

10th Annual Inside-Out Sports Classic - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cary, North Carolina
United States
Inside Out Sports
41F / 5C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 20s
Overall Rank = 177/398
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/29
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:15am. I got up, got dressed and then made my breakfast (cinnamin raisin bread w/ peanut butter and a banana). I ate my breakfast in the car on the 1.5 hour ride to the race. I went to this race alone. I didn't think it was fair to make my DH wake up at 4:15 for a race that I wasn't trying for a PR anyway. This race was my first race since my surgeries in December. I wanted to run a race before I did Boston to make sure I was actually capable of racing and to try to set a new pace for Boston (since I wouldn't be able to use my old pace).
Event warmup:

I got to IOS and picked up my race packet. Then I went back to my car to wait for the race to start (it was cold and raining). So, I didn't do any real warmup for this race. When it was time for the race, I walked to the start line and tried to stay warm until the race started (which was difficult since I was wearing shorts).
Run
  • 1h 53m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I was just trying to see what my legs were capable of today, I didn't choose a pace for this race. I just started running and settled into a pace that felt comfortable. I wanted to keep the pace a bit slower than I really felt I could manage because I knew the course was supposed to be hilly (and I don't run a lot of hills in my training).

My toe that I hurt on last weeks 20 miler hurt during the first mile of the race. I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to finish. But it stopped hurting and didn't bother me anymore during the race or after.

I actually liked most of the course and felt strong until the last 3 miles. I was a bit concerned about running in Umstead Park because I run on trails even less than I run hills (ie - NEVER). But I loved the Umstead Park section of the race. I wish we had a park like that down here in Fayetteville.

I noticed in the first 3 miles of the race that we were running downhill a lot and I knew I would have to climb those hills coming back. But I had no idea how much harder they were going to be to climb back up when I was running down!!:) The last 3 miles of the race felt like it was all uphill. It wasn't - but it was close. One hill in particular was really bad. I got halfway up the hill and felt like my lungs were closing up (I couldn't breathe). I didn't give in and walk though, I just slowed my pace a bit and kept going. Luckily we had a bit of a downhill to catch my breath before we had to tackle another hill. After I felt like I had been climbing forever, I saw a man ahead of me walking. When I got up beside him, he began to run again. At the top of this hill the photographer was taking our picture. Just as the picture was being taken, the man was passing me. We got to the top of the hill and turned a corner - and saw ANOTHER hill!! The man took one look at it and said "Oh sh*t!" and starting walking again. I left him at that corner and continued. A volunteer then told us this was the last hill. What he didn't tell us was that the hill lasted all the way to the finish line!!!

What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I went into this race to see how my legs would take racing. That was accomplished. If I had wanted a PR though, I definitely would have done some hill training for this race. However, considering I don't run a lot of hills in training, I thought I did very well with these hills. I never stopped running on any of them and I even passed quite a few people on the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

There was no warm-down - just try to stay warm! It was still 41* when we finished running. And the finish line was .75 miles from the start line (and my car). I was in shorts and a single long sleeve shirt (I felt warm during the race, but once I stopped running I got cold). They offered a shuttle service to the start line, so I jumped on the bus. As soon as I got back to IOS, I went to my car and got my sweats. I put those on and walked to the store where they had the food set out. I grab a biscuit and a banana. I ate those while trying not to freeze to death. Then I went into the store and bought a couple of tires for my tri bike (I can't get 650 tires in Fayetteville). By the time I walked back out of the store, they had posted some of the results. I saw that I had finished 4th in my AG. I went back to the car, cranked up the heat and drove the 1.5 hours back home to get a shower!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Compartment Syndrome surgery on both legs 3 months earlier.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:20 | 13.1 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/29
Overall: 177/398
Performance: Good
Course: The course was an out and back course. It started at IOS, went into Umstead Park and returned (but stopped .75 miles short of IOS).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-03-30 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: 10th Annual Inside-Out Sports Classic - Half Marathon

2008-04-01 4:47 AM
in reply to: #1302768

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Subject: RE: 10th Annual Inside-Out Sports Classic - Half Marathon
Not too shabby for having both legs operated on three months ago!!  Seriously - congratulations!   Looks like your recovery is well on the way to being complete.  You're going to have a great time in Beantown.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 10th Annual Inside-Out Sports Classic - Half Marathon Rss Feed