Marathon Sports
50?F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 46m
Overall Rank = 427/701
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 80/102
Pre-race routine:

Woke-up and bitched about getting out of bed, as I was tired. Took to dog out, hey, everyone has needs, and put some stuff the car. Got all my gear packed up, put the wife in the car, and headed out. Stopped at Dunkies and got coffee - 1/2 decaf - and a bagel with cream cheese. Drove to the race and found a sweet side street parking spot. We went to the bathroom a few times - I always have to go at least 3 times - can't wait to get in the water *eewww*. Got number, got t-shirt, put t-shirt in the car and then hung out inside until 15 min before the race.

My goal was to try to finish below 50mi.
Event warmup:

Ran about 200 yards with em73 and tried to keep warm within pack of people. I also was trying to figure out if I could pull-off a full 200 yard sprint at the beginning of the race just to say I was in first place at one point. I don't think that's cool, but I want to try!
Run
  • 46m
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great on the first mile, although there was a bit of a hill, and I have done NO hill training. After that, it was awesome and I was cruising along quite well, just checking out the scenery and enjoying myself. I didn't feel like I was working too hard. I hit the water stop and grabbed a quick drink before I kept going. I kept on going and felt good until about mile 3.5 when I felt like I hit a bit of wall. I kept plugging along and was doing well until I hit about mile 3.8 to 4.2 where there was a bit of a hill and I felt rough again. After that, I felt good on the downhill until the last uphill where I felt like my hip flexor / groin stiffened up (not in that good way). I slowed down a lot and then on the downhill, I was able to go a bit faster and really kicked it up on the last bit to the finish to finish strong.
What would you do differently?:

Run more hills *yech* to get in shape and ready for the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and banana then walked back until I saw em73 and planned to run in wth her. She yelled at me that I had told her I would let her run the finish alone and so I just ran behind her. Boy it was hard, as I had already started to tighten up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills and my lack of running on them.

Last updated: 2008-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:00 | 05 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/102
Overall: 427/701
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 8:59 Mile 2: 9:02 Mile 3: 9:06 Mile 4: 9:21 Mile 5: 9:15 Mile X: 00:12 - Mile X is the difference between Mile 5 and my garmin :)
Course: The course was a strange counter clockwise circle inside a bigger clockwise circle. It was kind of cool.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-06 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: Marathon Sports 5 Mile CityRun

2008-04-07 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1319414

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Marathon Sports 5 Mile CityRun

Is that the run around Fresh Pond in Cambridge?  I drive pass there at around 11 am and saw a bunch of people running, taking a lane of the 2-lane Fresh Pond Parkway. 

Nice run anyhow. 

2008-04-07 6:00 PM
in reply to: #1319414

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: Marathon Sports 5 Mile CityRun

Way to go Adam, great run! What's up with the 10 hours on the Race Time? Did you run home after the race? Great effort, that is an awesome pace. And big congrats on beating your goal time, that always makes the training effort worthwhile!

Later!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marathon Sports 5 Mile CityRun Rss Feed