General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression and Moods- Check in! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2008-05-14 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1401782

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
Subject: RE: Depression and Moods- Check in!
TeddieMao - 2008-05-14 10:24 AM

Pepperee - 2008-05-14 2:24 AM

But right now I am so paranoid about letting that get out because of a job I am up for. They are very focused on your psych health and if I have ever been on meds or seen anyone. I can't afford to let this mess things up so I am keeping everything to myself.

Pepperee,

I am not a employment lawyer by any means but I think it would be discrimination if your mental health issues affect you getting the job or not.  It should be treated like any illness.  If it is being maintained/treated then it should have no bearing on your ability to perform the job.  But I don't know what the job is or any of the details.  In my current job I was drug tested and I had three meds in my system (now I take one) and I am sure that was relayed to my employer.

Second, you should talk to someone.  A friend is great but a professional will definitely be more attuned to what you are going through.  I delayed talking to someone and it did not help.  Good luck!

I know that when the bar associations conduct background checks they ask about mental health issues and medications, and that certain things can be a reason for not allowing someone to have a law license. Sad but true. It's also the same with any job requiring a security clearance. As long as there is a legitimate non-discriminatory purpose for the purported discrimination, that type of action is not illegal.

Thank you for the imagery. It's just a really huge step going to the medication route. I just about fell over last night when I broached this subject with my mom and she told me that she is on the exact same medication I was prescribed...I wondered why she seemed calmer! Wow.

So, I need to get some cajones and do something.

2008-05-16 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1319576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

runrachierun,

I hope you're doing a bit better today....things can just get so freakin' overwhelming sometimes, especially when you don't see a way out.  Please let us know how you are!

Let me put in a small plug for CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) - I can sure understand why it seems kinda kooky if you're just reading about it.  But I had this in my last round of counseling with HUGE success! The basic premise is that when you have thoughts and emotions, your brain produces a certain chemistry that correlates to that emotion that affects your body.  For example, when you're sad (emotion) your brain produces certain chemicals and then you cry (physical reaction).  When you're nervous (emotion) your brain produces certain chemicals that make your stomach tense and your blood pressure go up (physical reaction).  But if you get stuck in a certain emotional pattern, you can get stuck in certain brain chemistry pattern too - kind of like a habit or addiction even - and they feed off of each other. Your brain chemistry gets in a rut that you need to break out of.

What cognitive behavioral therapy does is work on breaking those brain chemisty habits by breaking the thought pattern habits.  In essence, you're slowing down your thinking and testing your thoughts for a) truth, b) helpfulness, and c) healthiness.  If your thoughts fail the test, you reject them and consciously work on changing your thinking.  An example - let's say I have a poor body image (which I do).  I may think of myself as grossly obese.  That is factually untrue, is not helpful to my everyday life, and is destructive to my self esteem.  Those thoughts fail the test.  Therefore, I must reject that kind of thinking and adopt the more accurate view that while I have weight to lose, I am not unhealthy or incredibly fat.  I can do some things to improve my weight, so I have some control and affect on the issue.  That is more positive thinking and far more productive, and better brain chemistry follows.

I hope that explains things a little bit better.  CBT is a pretty valuable tool once you get the hang of it.  So often I catch myself thinking horrible things about myself that just pull me down and then I have knee-jerk reactions to them, rather than slowing down and trying to figure out where those horrible thoughts came from and whether or not they are true. I was alarmed at first to realize how many negative things I had internalized that were really just flat out lies.  Lies that I inferred from my childhood or absorbed from our crazy culture. Junk like I'm not lovable, I have to be perfect all the time or no one will like me, I have no worth in an of myself, etc.  All lies - and it took a good bit of effort and practice to toss that stuff out.

OK...I've written my novel for the day.  Give us a holler back and let us know how you are!

2008-05-18 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Spider - hope you're feeling better. Are you out of bed today?
2008-05-20 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
MA

I should probably jump in here. I'm on the way down. I can see it happening. Cyclical depression is a pattern for me and I have a family history to go with it. I don't medicate, I just fight myself through. Okay, maybe I'm lying, and I medicate with alcohol, since I don't drink much unless I'm in a depression and at those times I drink too much.

First step to get myself back out is cut off the drinking. That happens today.

Second step is to get past this damn teaching presentation I have to give at 11:30. That may be a trigger this time - I hate hate hate hate hate doing these. I'm usually very laid back and I'm anxious right now to the point that my hands are shaking. Giving a presentation, in your second language, to people for whom that language is also their second at best, is a pain in the behind.
2008-05-20 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Hey guys,

My wife gave me permission to share her pic with the world. Per some of the recommendations here, my 2 boys shaved their head in unity with their mom. My wife wouldn't let me or my daughter. My daughter was VERY relieved!! lol

Keep smiling guys. Some days, that's all we've got.

2008-05-20 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
MA

Good looking family.

2008-05-20 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1413197

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
mman - 2008-05-20 10:12 AM

Hey guys,

My wife gave me permission to share her pic with the world. Per some of the recommendations here, my 2 boys shaved their head in unity with their mom. My wife wouldn't let me or my daughter. My daughter was VERY relieved!! lol

Wow.  The love and joy shared in that picture is incredible considering what lies ahead.  I'm speechless. I was going to post a bit about me, but maybe another day.  All I'll say is another depression sufferer here. 

mman: There's probably nothing I can do from NY to make your family's next 6mos (hopefully more) enjoyable, but don't hesitate to ask. And you're right, your wife is Beautiful without hair!

2008-05-20 7:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-20 8:00 PM
in reply to: #1401926

Veteran
The ATL
runrachierun - 2008-05-14 11:10 AM

But right now I am so paranoid about letting that get out because of a job I am up for. They are very focused on your psych health and if I have ever been on meds or seen anyone. I can't afford to let this mess things up so I am keeping everything to myself.

Pepperee,

I am not a employment lawyer by any means but I think it would be discrimination if your mental health issues affect you getting the job or not. It should be treated like any illness. If it is being maintained/treated then it should have no bearing on your ability to perform the job. But I don't know what the job is or any of the details. In my current job I was drug tested and I had three meds in my system (now I take one) and I am sure that was relayed to my employer.

Second, you should talk to someone. A friend is great but a professional will definitely be more attuned to what you are going through. I delayed talking to someone and it did not help. Good luck!

I know that when the bar associations conduct background checks they ask about mental health issues and medications, and that certain things can be a reason for not allowing someone to have a law license. Sad but true. It's also the same with any job requiring a security clearance. As long as there is a legitimate non-discriminatory purpose for the purported discrimination, that type of action is not illegal.

Thank you for the imagery. It's just a really huge step going to the medication route. I just about fell over last night when I broached this subject with my mom and she told me that she is on the exact same medication I was prescribed...I wondered why she seemed calmer! Wow.

Trust me, if they disqualified people for their law license on the basis of mental health issues, we would have no lawyers in this country. Two states let me in and I've been on meds for 13 years! Almost every lawyer I know is on some sort of antidepressant. Seriously.
2008-05-20 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1388337

Veteran
The ATL
mman - 2008-05-07 6:48 PM

Hey guys,

Well, my wife lost her hair today. Rather than dealing with it coming out in clumps, she had it shaved. Some of her girlfriends came to the house with wine and snacks (I can't spell that fancy hors de orvries word!) for a hair shaving pity party. If you want to know the truth, she looks great with a bald head - very hot!! And like one of her friends pointed out, she can be a different person every day now. Blonde Trixie on Monday, Red Headed Mona on Tuesday, etc. If you can't change a situation, you might as well try to find some humor in it...right?

It's been a rough week leading up to today but today was actually good - not what either my wife or I expected.

Oh yes, I'm grateful and thankful for the words of encouragement. I was telling someone today whos done a tri but isn't "into" the tri lifestyle about how tight knit the communtiy is. BT (and this thread) is an example of that. People laugh when I talk about my friends I've never met, but you guys are just that.

I don't even know what to say except I'm sorry and I just don't understand the reason for these things happening. My brother lost his son to melanoma at age 17, he shaved his head too in solidarity. I truly admire your courage through this. It makes me realize my whining about an injury or an unruly toddler is just whining.
2008-05-21 5:47 AM

Expert
Orlando, FL

Hey guys,

My wife gave me permission to share her pic with the world. ...

Wow - I just wanted to reply to get this thread full of this picture. There is so much love there it comes right out at you. Just eat up that love every day...better than meds I'd say!

Prayers for peace, love and healing are lifted for you all.

2008-05-21 8:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
mman....That is absolutely fantastic!  What a gorgeous family! I'm so glad that she let you share...she looks great!
2008-05-21 8:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Dude. great pic, you have a hell of a family. Thinking of you all.
2008-05-21 7:57 PM

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Hey guys,

So much beauty and so much LOVE....WOW

2008-05-21 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1413173

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

chadtower - 2008-05-20 10:04 AM I should probably jump in here. I'm on the way down. I can see it happening. Cyclical depression is a pattern for me and I have a family history to go with it. I don't medicate, I just fight myself through. Okay, maybe I'm lying, and I medicate with alcohol, since I don't drink much unless I'm in a depression and at those times I drink too much. First step to get myself back out is cut off the drinking. That happens today. Second step is to get past this damn teaching presentation I have to give at 11:30. That may be a trigger this time - I hate hate hate hate hate doing these. I'm usually very laid back and I'm anxious right now to the point that my hands are shaking. Giving a presentation, in your second language, to people for whom that language is also their second at best, is a pain in the behind.

Chad...how did your presentation go? 

I hope you are feeling better today now that it is behind you.

Steve

2008-05-22 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1417903

Expert
MA
Reno8 - 2008-05-21 8:59 PM

Chad...how did your presentation go?

I hope you are feeling better today now that it is behind you.

Steve

Thanks for asking.

It went pretty well. I hate them but seem to be good at them. It was a big relief to get past that. Hopefully this boss doesn't get it into his head that I'm good for these presentations. That would really lower my comfort level in this spot.

Got my first real brick in last night, that felt damn good. Bike to run. Legs never had a problem but my lungs sure did.

2008-05-22 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I have finally caught up on all the posts here and just want to throw my story in. It's hard to put together and I realize how little I've really processed it.
I come from a family of depressed people with obsessive behavior and thoughts, and alcoholism. I have always suffered from depression and obsessive thoughts. I can cycle from wishing I was dead to planning how I'm going to exercise and become a vegan to deal with my moods a few times a day. So add the label bi-polar (depressed to slightly optimistic)
I have gone on and off meds so many times always to the same result. Without meds I don't do the spiritual, physical, emotional work that will help me.

I'm on fluvoxamine for depression and lamictal for mood stabilization. It's really working for me and I don't want to try life without them. I did run out recently (three weeks ago) - error on docs end meant a delay in mail order meds. He ignored my phone calls for samples and I went off meds for three days. I know, that's worse than just not being on them.
Oddly, it was when I got back on that it hit me. I fell into a very bad despair. I just wanted to die - figured the kids would be better off with a step mom than with me.
Last week I was just numb, didn't care about anything. Wondered why I ever wanted to do tris.

I'm finally able to push myself out the door and workout. I've been home with kids for the past 10 years, and being without structure was not good for me and I ate a lot!
Tri's are the only thing that keep me working out. I know that in a certain amount of time I will be showing up in public, in spandex!!

I managed to support myself most of my life, but when I look back I see how hard it always was for me and I don't want to be med free again. It's great if you can do it, but just want to put in a word for those of us who can't. Course, you have to experiment to figure out which course is for you.

Sorry to go on about myself, just wanted to introduce myself.

hugs,
MM
2008-05-22 4:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Someone mentioned job discrimination. I have a really hard time dealing with the stigma, the shame of mental illness. Hate to even type it.

I was a lesbian for much of my adult life and was very outspoken and political. Never cared if someone didn't like my sexuality. I'm amazed at how closeted I am about dealing with depression! Thinking about it I realize that there is a whole gay/lesbian rights movement fighting to change the beliefs about sexuality. Corporations advertise in gay mags, there are gay pride marches. Communities of like minded people who support each other that they are just fine regardless of what others might think.

That doesn't exist for people battling mental health issues. The stigma is very real and not much to counteract it. I can't feel pride for my issues. I can say don't oppress me, it's no different than having diabetes. Gay activists can fight that being gay isn't a problem - but being depressed and obsessive is. How to get over the stigma of an illness?
2008-05-22 5:06 PM
in reply to: #1415005

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
bboston88 - 2008-05-20 8:00 PM

runrachierun - 2008-05-14 11:10 AM

Pepperee,

I am not a employment lawyer by any means but I think it would be discrimination if your mental health issues affect you getting the job or not. It should be treated like any illness. If it is being maintained/treated then it should have no bearing on your ability to perform the job. But I don't know what the job is or any of the details. In my current job I was drug tested and I had three meds in my system (now I take one) and I am sure that was relayed to my employer.

Second, you should talk to someone. A friend is great but a professional will definitely be more attuned to what you are going through. I delayed talking to someone and it did not help. Good luck!

Trust me, if they disqualified people for their law license on the basis of mental health issues, we would have no lawyers in this country. Two states let me in and I've been on meds for 13 years! Almost every lawyer I know is on some sort of antidepressant. Seriously.

I am a lawyer licensed in three states. It's actually a consideration in bar admissions.
2008-05-25 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1420155

Expert
MA
MuscleMomma - 2008-05-22 5:47 PM

Corporations advertise in gay mags, there are gay pride marches. Communities of like minded people who support each other that they are just fine regardless of what others might think.

There's some irony in the lack of parades for Depression Awareness. How would we get all of us depressed people up off the couches and onto the streets?
2008-05-25 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1423969

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

chadtower - 2008-05-25 8:59 PM
MuscleMomma - 2008-05-22 5:47 PM Corporations advertise in gay mags, there are gay pride marches. Communities of like minded people who support each other that they are just fine regardless of what others might think.
There's some irony in the lack of parades for Depression Awareness. How would we get all of us depressed people up off the couches and onto the streets?

I don't care who you are...that's pretty funny 

2008-05-26 9:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Yes it is!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
I was doing so well for about three weeks of training and then ran out of meds. It's been two weeks back on and I still can't get back into the swing of it. I'm eating like crazy and just don't care about tri's.

It's a new week, and I'm going to focus on getting in my workout each day. All I want to do is lay around, but that probably has to do with allergies which wipe me out.

Anyone else having to get back into training mode?
2008-05-27 3:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Got out there and did the bike ride. Glad I did.

Hope everyone checks in today!
2008-05-27 6:00 PM

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
My training is on hold right now. My schedule says this is week 2 of my 20 week HIM program. But last week I got a call from my cardiologist saying my heart is getting restricted blood flow at full exercise (I had heart surgery in '74 so went in for a somewhat regular checkup before starting my long distance training). I have a CT scan tomorrow to see where and how bad the blockages are then next week will meet with my doc to see what the treatment plan is. could be anything from "do nothing" to "bypass surgery". At 40 I'm going to be a widower and (potentially) a bypass patient. Good times huh?
2008-05-27 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1427086

Extreme Veteran
mman - 2008-05-27 6:00 PM

My training is on hold right now. My schedule says this is week 2 of my 20 week HIM program. But last week I got a call from my cardiologist saying my heart is getting restricted blood flow at full exercise (I had heart surgery in '74 so went in for a somewhat regular checkup before starting my long distance training). I have a CT scan tomorrow to see where and how bad the blockages are then next week will meet with my doc to see what the treatment plan is. could be anything from "do nothing" to "bypass surgery". At 40 I'm going to be a widower and (potentially) a bypass patient. Good times huh?

Hang in there bro. Were all here for you. Thinking good thoughts for you and your family.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression and Moods- Check in! Rss Feed  

of 39