Martian Marathon
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 18s
Overall Rank = 419/1442
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 63/127
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Got up early and had the normal pre-race breakfast (whole wheat toast with peanut butter). Drove up to the race (didn't get lost this time), picked up my packet and chip, and then sat in the truck chilling out till about 8:00.
Event warmup:

Not much. Jogged from the truck to the start area. Did some wondering around looking for the Michigan BT crew (never did find anybody) and some light stretching while waiting for the gun.
Run
  • 1h 50m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Had two goals going into this race. 1: To set a new PR (previous PR was 1:56:40) and 2: if everything went perfect to break 1:50:00. Plan was to stay in Z1/Z2 for the first four miles, build for the next six in an attempt to reach 10 miles in 1:25:00, and then gut out a sub 25:00 5K.

As usual, the start was pretty crowded (I really wish walkers would line up towards the back). Tried to conserve energy by not weaving in and out of people and just let race come to me. Wanted to get ahead of some people so I skipped the first aid station. Good decision because it really thinned out and the race could begin.

Really had to focus between mile three and four because the road was full of potholes (got to love Michigan roads). Saw a couple of people stumble but thankfully nobody went down. Hit four miles in just under 35:00 and the heart rate never left Z2.

Took in a gel and water at the mile four aid station and then started picking up the pace. Middle of the race was great. Pace was solid and for the most part the heart rate stayed in high-Z2/low-Z3. The stride was effortless and I hit that state of being totally at peace (I love that feeling). Took in another gel around mile-8. Hit mile 10 in 1:25:10. Slightly behind schedule but I was feeling great and thought that sub 1:50:00 was still doable. It was go time.

Took in my last gel around mile-11. Didn't think I needed it but figured it couldn't hurt. Hit mile-11 in 1:33:00. Shortly after mile-11 the heart rate was well into Z4. Hit mile-12 in 1:41:10. Worst part about this course is you go over a pedestrian bridge that feels like it is moving underneath you (terrible feeling) and there is a short but really steep climb off of that bridge. Made it past those obstacles and headed to the finish.

Must have really fell of the pace, because with 0.2 miles to go my watch read 1:48:30. Gave it everything I had but my legs were toasted. Crossed the line in 1:50:18--a new PR by over six minutes.

What would you do differently?:

Go a little bit harder early on. The cardiovascular system had quite a bit left in the tank. Just couldn't get the legs to turn over fast enough during the last 5K.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and cheered on the other finishers. After about twenty minutes felt like eating so I grabbed some cookies and a bagel and cheered on more finishers. Watched the first marathon finisher come in and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough quality runs during training. Legs strength just wasn't there in the last two miles.

Event comments:

Seem to remember that they had some on course entertainment last year. Missed that this year. Overall, a great race though, lots of volunteers, organized, and on time.

Last updated: 2008-03-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:18 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 63/127
Overall: 419/1442
Performance: Good
Course: Paved course. Relatively flat with some rolling hills thrown in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-08 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Martian Half Marathon

2008-04-08 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1322979

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Martian Half Marathon
Great race, Craig!!  Congrats on taking 6+ minutes out of your PR. And yeah, that bridge BOUNCED me, the dude next to me ate it because he was in the wrong spot in his footfall when it moved. Next time we'll catch up....
2008-04-08 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1322979

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Subject: RE: Martian Half Marathon
Congrats on the PR!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Martian Half Marathon Rss Feed