Xterra
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 59s
Overall Rank = 126/183
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 8/17
Pre-race routine:

2 hour drive in the rain from Maine to Andover, MA. I had cheerios for breakfast and coffee for the ride.
Event warmup:

I jogged out about a mile on the course to get a feel for how technical the course would be. I have never run this course before but I did look at the elevation profile on the internet. Still, there is nothing like local knowledge
Run
  • 1h 41m 59s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I forgot my water bottle so I ran without any water. There was a supported water stop at mile 5, and an unsupported water stop at mile 2.5/7.5 where jugs of water and a stack of cups were lying on the ground. We were warned to put the cups in the trash bag.

I picked up a lot of runners on the downhills as people slowed down to pick there way down the hill. I just let gravity do its job and pull me down the hill. There were some steep short hills where it was just as fast to walk up rather than run.

I made one wrong turn and it cost me about 15 seconds which seemed like a lot at the time, but neglible overall. I pushed hard the whole way, and I was a little dissappointed that about 5 women passed me in the last 2 miles. I don't know where they got that energy! I did speed up on the flat sections near the end, but not enough to hold those speedy ladies off. One woman who looked about my age and weight picked up her pace at mile 8, she was breathing very heavy, and I thought she wouldn't be able to hold that pace. I let her go, but she sure dug deep 'cause she held that pace to the end. She also made some better choices in a wet section, where I veered around the mud hole and she went right through it. She picked up a few yards on that choice. All those little decisions add up.

What would you do differently?:

I would bring 8 oz. of water with me. That would shave 10 seconds off the untended water stop. Also, I took half a hammer-gel at mile 5, and planned to eat the rest at mile 7.5, but somehow the half gel fell out of my pocket, 'cause it was no where to be seen when I needed it!
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, drink water and gatorade. Hang out for the post-race give-aways but I didn't win anything.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

me.

Event comments:

A fun race with a very enthusiastic RD! I loved it! But was thoroughly wiped out by the end of the race.

I will update with official results when I get them.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:59 | 10 miles | 10m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 126/183
Performance:
mile 1 10:10 hr avg = 142 mile 5 51:20 hr avg = 160 (4 mile avg = 10:16) mile 7 73:16 hr avg = 161 (2 mile avg = 10:50) mile 8 83:52 hr avg = 160 (mile avg = 10:36) mile 9 93:12 hr avg = 162 (mile avg = 9:20) mile 10 102:33 hr avg = 164 (mile avg = 9:21)
Course: There was a big crowd at the beginning and the first 2 miles were slow and crowded, and at times, difficult to pass on the single track. First 3 miles were flat, lots of sneaker-sucking mud and puddles. A few stream crossings. Then 2 miles of intense hills up and down, to the turn-around at mile 5.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %3 lbs
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-12 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: Xterra Merrimack River Trail Run

2008-04-14 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1333338

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Xterra Merrimack River Trail Run

Nice run - where in Andover?  I work in that town. 

Bummer about the no water.  Trail-running seems difficult.  Most people's nature is to avoid mud holes.  I'd lose balance in those situations.  Nice job doing the 10 mile!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Merrimack River Trail Run Rss Feed