Chicago Cubs Charities
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 34s
Overall Rank = 694/2009
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/171
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:50. Did a little stretching of the legs and rolled back on ball. Didn't do any stretching of stomach or hips.

Walked up to Wrigley. Had a tangerine powergel and a couple sips of water.

It was ABSOLUTELY freezing!! Really windy too!
Event warmup:

Stand around and freeze. Actually started the race with my Brooks running gloves.
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

FIRST RACE IN A LONG TIME WITH NO PAIN!!!

Should have started a little further up, got stuck behind a lot of people.

Splits:
Mile 1: 8:36
Mile 2: 8:32
Mile 3: 9:24

Besides getting "stuck" in the beginning, felt ok for first mile.
After we passeD the mile 1 clock, run has a very slight uphill then levels off, and then a slight downhill where you then turn right onto Irving Park, and it was in this time, I felt a slight "pinch" but it went away, and never came on to the point it has in the past.

It was really windy out there today, and cold. Started the race with my running gloves on and ended up ditching them down Addison in a flower bed, and on my walk home, was able to pick them up, so that was nice.

I was a little curious as to why my last mile was slower than the other two, but I think it was a combination of running into the wind and trying to stay consistent and not go too hard, as I think mentally, I still hold back to protect my side, as I don't want to do anything to further aggravate the injury.

Really concentrated on my breathing again during today's race.

Pretty happy overall, but I have to wonder....

Am I holding back on speed because I am afraid of "it" coming on?
At some point, I am just going to have to go for it, and let whatever happens happens I guess.

For today though, I think it was very good that I ran a consistent race with no pain the entire time (that pinch I mentioned was so minimal, I am not going to be concerned about it) as oppossed to going lights out and getting my best time ever.

I would much rather keep up with all the exercises, stretching and strengthening to make my core strong so that in my future races, I can have the same result. To finish my tri's strong would give me so much satisfaction, and that is my ultimate goal.

Funny thing about that is...I don't think my stomach has ever looked better. All that ab/core work...I mean, I'm no Trixie (her body/her abs are just unbelievable...she's a rockstar), but I don't think my stomach has been this toned in years!

What would you do differently?:

Don't be afraid to get up more towards the front. Afterall, the first year of this race, I was pretty close up there and that was a pretty fast 5k for me. Might have something to do with it, or maybe not, who knows, but I don't think it could hurt.
Post race
Warm down:

Get my gear (long line, not fun), go cheer on Todd, Lynn and Lisa.
Get a good stash of the G2 they're handing out, and head home to warm up!
Wouldn't you know, on the walk home, the sun came out!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being further up in the front at the beginning, and the mental question of how hard to push it today.

Being that I'm 5'2, the wind didn't help either.

Last updated: 2008-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:34 | 03.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/171
Overall: 694/2009
Performance: Good
According to the CARA.com website, my pace was 8:34 but this site says 8:57, and obviously, I would much prefer the 8:34!
Course: Addison to Ravenswood - left on Ravenswood up to Irving Park (slight inclince/decline) - right on Irving Park up to 1/4 mile past Clark, turnaround and head back towards Clark - left on Clark up to Waveland - left on Waveland to Gate C for Wrigley - through concourse where you come out underneath marquee to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No