Derby Running Club
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 55s
Overall Rank = 1/50
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/???
Pre-race routine:

Woke up plenty early. As usual. Said a quick prayer asking the Great one to calm the winds abit. Packed the race bag and headed out the door. I must have been bad recently because the winds seemed to be picking up all morning!
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race site and jogged to packet pick-up. Jogged back to the truck to get into the race get-up. Very chilly outside so I wanted to get moving as soon as possible. The race organization held a 1 mile race prior to the 5k. So I used that as my warm up.
Run
  • 18m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

As I stated in my Blog nobody showed up for this race. I only recognized about 5-10 people. I knew that one maybe two of the guys could run with me. When the gun went off there was four of us packed together. That lasted about for about a half mile. The other two guys fell off at about the same time. So it was just Peter Kretch and myself, man VS man. This guy used to own me. I have held the upper hand recently though so I wasn't real worried. Running south was a blast but when we would loop back around and start running north the wind made it a real booger! We ran step for step up until the 2 mile mark and I threw in alittle surge just to get ahead of him. He countered and settled in a stride ahead of me. The little hill came with less than a half mile to the finish. I surged up the hill and put him behind me for good! I could hear him coming within 75 yrds and I threw down the finishing kick and let him know that this just wouldn't be his day.
What would you do differently?:

Run harder. Call other competitave runners and make sure they were going to show up!
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down? It was low fortys and 25mph wind. It didn't take long to warmdown! I jogged from the finish line to the truck. Oh yeah with trophy in hand!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Testicular Fortitude and the wind!

Event comments:

I think this race gives away the best race shirts all year! There was no aid stations but I don't think they were needed. Like I said in my blog, yet another illegitimate race win. I added two of those today. 1 mile and 5k!

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:55 | 03.11 miles | 06m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/???
Overall: 1/50
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was in High Park in Derby. Fairly flat with the exception of one hill about 175 yrds in length. Along the paths adjacent to the park lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes