General Discussion Race Reports! » Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Long) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Long) - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Missouri
United States
UltraMax Events
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 22m 58s
Overall Rank = 28/148
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

I woke up a bit early because my daughter woke up early. I sat around, ate some breakfast and contemplated what to where for the race since it was cold outside. I settled on tri shorts, an under armour long sleeve shirt with my club tri tank over it. Only reason I am mentioning it is because i was a bit cold on the bike- see bike portion for more details
Event warmup:

I ran about ten minutes and stretched. I took my bike out for a few minutes and made sure everything was working. I made sure my transition area was set up and then i jogged around until the start
Run
  • 18m 2s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

went out hard to begin with. The first mile was sub 7:00. I held back a bit to keep my HR in check at about the 2 mile mark. I felt really good and felt pretty fast (for me at least) I was very pleased with this effort
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

I decided to not put my shoes on my bike after a lack-luster practice earlier in the week. I positioned myself near the bike out so i didnt have to clop very far in my bike shoes. This worked out well. I was fastest in my age group and 11th overall at T1

work more on jumping on the bike with my shoes attached. I also messed up and hit the lap button twice on my garmin, so i messed up my splits and HR data. It would nice to have accurate data next time to further analyze my performance
Bike
  • 44m 18s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode pretty well despite the miserable weather. It was 45ish degrees with a little bit of wind. It also started to rain on the second lap. I passed several people and was only passed by one person (that i had already passed) The road was rough and slick from the rain so I couldnt be very agressive on the corners. I also started to get very cold on the second lap. I was soaking wet and was almost shivering. I think i needed to have more clothing on. My glasses also began to get covered with rain drops and road mist during the second lap and it made it very difficult to see. I tried wiping them off, but it didnt help at all. I had to slow a couple times because i couldnt see. Overall i road well, but i could have gone faster in better conditions

maybe worn more clothing? i could have attacked a bit more, but it wasnt worth it on a wet road
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

This went really well. This is probably the best i have every done T2. I managed to get my feet out early, but not too early and without slowing down much. I was able to get out onto one side of the bike and jump off with out stopping. I was wearing socks and the transition area was very wet from the rain. I contemplated taking my socks off before putting on my running shoes, but I decided not to. I probably should have because the socks were very wet and my feet were very cold.

probably taken off my socks
Run
  • 19m 10s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasnt really happy with this run. I couldnt get my legs moving and my HR seemed to be high. My feet and legs were freezing and it felt like my i was running on stumps because my feet were numb. I just felt like i was chugging along rather than racing. I was passed by several people (10ish) and that affected my overall rank quite a bit. That was a bit disheartening.

i am not really sure, maybe do more bike/run bricks or maybe it was just a fluke because of the weather. I would like to have less of a drop in run performance after the bike though.
Post race
Warm down:

i jogged a bit, put on some warm, semi-dry clothing and ate some pizza (Shakespeare's yum!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

probably the weather.

Event comments:

The race was run well and on time. The awards were good. The age group winners got a bottle of wine from one of the sponsors, Les Bourgeous Winery. It was a cool label (with mediocre wine) Ultramax puts on a good race and i will do this race again

Last updated: 2008-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:02 | 02.5 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 41/148
Performance: Good
high zone 3 average
Course: rolling hills through a park then onto a gravel trail with some hills. huge hill leading into transition
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:42.7
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:44:18 | 15 miles | 20.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 20/148
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 lap course with rolling hills on city streets and county roads. A couple of pretty steep hills on each lap
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:10 | 02.5 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 36/148
Performance: Below average
Course: same as the first run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Long)

2008-04-21 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1352051

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Long)
Nice job! First in your age group! Congratulations - you were really fast out there!

And Shakespeare's for recovery - yummy!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Long) Rss Feed