Tulip Time 2008
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 5s
Overall Rank = 3/18
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Tori's Grandparents live in Belle Plaine. They actually live half of a block from the start line. Up early because the sleeping arrangement was horrible. Two grownups on a daybed = very little sleep. No cereal bar so I wasn't expecting great things.....
Event warmup:

Some light jogging and some talking to Michael. Ran the 1 mile pushing Jaeli in the stroller. I let her out about 250 yards from the finish so she could run in on her own. She LOVES it!
Run
  • 18m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Looking around at the start I knew it would come down to a three man race. Peter, Myself and some tall skinny fast dude. We all stayed packed together thru 1 mile. TSFD tried to jump right after the mile mark and I went with him leaving Peter about 50 yards back. He pushed fairly hard for about 4 blocks then backed off. I have been running a long time but I took the bait. He was running just what it took to win. I like to think that I'm a smarter runner than that. He jumped again shortly after the two mile mark and I had no attack. I really wasn't concerned about this race but it hurts to get beat. I fell about :15 sec back very fast. With less than a half mile left Peter, the guy I beat last week, decided he had seen enough of my back side. He promptly passed my slow ass and never looked back. There I ran in third place knowing that the streak had come to an end.......
What would you do differently?:

Not race 55 times in three weeks. Not focus on the triathlon that would follow the next day. Run smarter.
Post race
Warm down:

Gathered my hardware and made the long trek back to the in-law-grandparents house! Jogged to Michaels car to tell him that he is a slacker....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Testicular Fortitude. Inability to run a smart race.

Event comments:

This is MY race. I will be back to own it!!!! I've got three trophies and I want more!

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:05 | 03.11 miles | 05m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 3/18
Performance: Average
Course: 3 Loop course thru the beautiful town of Belle Plaine
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: Tulip Time Run

2008-04-22 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1353507

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Tulip Time Run
I think next year you should train hard enough so that you can push your daughter in the 5K and still win! That'll show 'em!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tulip Time Run Rss Feed