BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shepherd's mentor group - Full up! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-06-01 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1354433

User image

Naples, FL
Subject: RE: Shepherd's mentor group - Full up!
Way to go Jo and Kristen!! I am so proud of you both! You guys do ROCK!

I went and watched a sprint tri today...the one I am planning on doing next year. I wrote a lot about it in my log.

Did some walk/jogging and then swam tonight.

I am volunteering at my church's VBS this week...should be fun, but tiring!
Have a great week everyone!

2008-06-02 11:29 AM

Master

I had an AWESOME time at the Hawk Island Tri too.  Jogo is great...she did really, really good!  In fact, she kicked my butt! 

I was happy with my swim effort.  I swam freestyle the entire time.  But, my sighting was horrible.  I got off-course several times and ended up swimming quite a bit farther than the 400 meters.  I ended up finishing 13th in my AG on the swim, and if I'd have done better with sighting, I think I could have easily broken the top 10.

The bike was fun!  I think my front tire was semi-flat...so that probably slowed me down. But I really enjoyed myself on the bike.

I walked at each aid station...and twice more in between.  I'm focusing on the run for the next three weeks so at Big Fish I'll be able to complete it without having to walk!

Overall...I had a blast.  I was able to meet a bunch of BT'ers.  I can't wait for the next one!

2008-06-03 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Congrats Jo and Kristin on Hawk Island!

Great job ladies. We're all proud of you! When is the next one for both of you? How many days are you taking off to recover?

I got out on the bike for my first outside training yesterday night. I've been on the bike on the trainers in the basement since January....but that is soooooo very different. Some things I had not thought about: BUGS, balance, and the fact that I have not ridden a bike since I was 15. Anyway, my coach/husband was with me. The first big loop we did around the neighborhood I did not go over 8mph. But by the fourth loop I was averaging 15mph and wasn't as scared that I was going to die at any moment. We leave for vacation Friday, so that was my only bike this week (55 minutes). He promised we would get out more once we get home so I can be a lot more comfortable. I know I have the endurance from the months on the trainers to finish the bike portion of my tri- I just need to get confident on the actual roads. I told my husband I might dislike biking just as much as I dislike running....maybe by my second year of training I will like one of them!

How did you ladies like the wetsuits in your tri? I won't need one for my first tri (July 27) but for my second tri (Sept 15?) I will be in northern Michigan in Lake Huron and a wetsuit might be a good idea.
2008-06-03 8:38 AM

Master

It looks like we're both doing the Big Fish Triathlon in Hadley Twp, MI on June 22nd (I still have to register...and will be doing that this week).  I was planning on getting back into the pool today for a swim, but staying up for the late night hockey game changed those plans!  Although my legs are stiff...I don't think I'll need any more recovery time, so barring any bad weather I'm planning on going for a ride tonight.

I loved my wetsuit and felt really comfortable in it...although I HATE how I look in it!  I look like a beached whale!  haha....I thought black was supposed to be slimming! 

(kristen swim.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
kristen swim.JPG (44KB - 39 downloads)
2008-06-03 8:41 AM

Master
I know I'm probably breaking some sort of law by doing this....but I had to post another pic that looked a little better and I didnt' take any of my own (I will be buying a couple here later today).  Here I am on the bike....

Edited by hamiltks10 2008-06-03 8:42 AM

(End of bike.JPG)

(Kristen Bike.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
End of bike.JPG (30KB - 50 downloads)
Kristen Bike.JPG (38KB - 37 downloads)
2008-06-03 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
great pictures!

I am pretty sure wetsuits are universally unflattering. I think they are designed more for function than fashion. You looked great! At least you were smiling for your pictures. I tend to have this great "don't die don't die don't die" look on my face when racing.

congrats again on hawk island! i checked out your schedule on your logs and looks like you will have three more races done before I do my first! busy season for you! sure you and jo don't want to head north for the east tawas race? i think my husband might do the half ironman distance; i'll stick to the sprint.

congrats again on your race!

2008-06-03 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
2008-06-03 9:42 PM

User image

Naples, FL
Wow! Thanks for sharing the pictures! You guys look great! I am so inspired by you guys! I just have the 5K on July 4th coming up and I am already nervous!

My daughter now has strep, so it is a few more indoor days for me. We are also going on vacation next week...hoping to do some running still.
2008-06-04 3:40 PM

Master

Hey Sharyn!  Thanks for all of your well-wishes and good lucks for our first triathlon.  It was so much fun...and I know you're going to be ready to compete in one yourself. 

I agree with some of the others in that you should try for a tri this year!  Why not!  If you really get to training now and can get to the point where you know you can at least complete the distances...you should do it!  For me... I have to have something that I'm training for in order to stay motivated and to keep me getting up early to go to the gym.  Otherwise...I make excuses and slack off.  And before I know it... months have gone by and I haven't done anything.

If you start training consistantly now...you'll have three full months to get ready for a triathlon on September.  I really think you can do it!  And it'll be so much more fun for you to have something to shoot for rather than having to wait a full year.

Keep up the good work and let us know how your 5K goes in July.  Have FUN with it! 

2008-06-04 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1445485

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
hamiltks10 - 2008-06-04 3:40 PM
"Hey Sharyn! Thanks for all of your well-wishes and good lucks for our first triathlon. It was so much fun...and I know you're going to be ready to compete in one yourself. "

I totally agree with Kristen. We are here to help you! Find a 12 week plan and get started. Doing a nice Fall tri would be a great goal. All the plans start slowly but they are great motivation. You know you have to do that workout. You learn to fit it into your busy schedule, even with small kids. You can do this! Kristen and I will be your biggest cheerleaders. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!!

Edited by jogo 2008-06-04 4:50 PM
2008-06-05 9:36 PM

User image

Naples, FL
Wellllll.........I have been looking at a women's only sprint tri up in Orlando in Sept. The only thing would be I would have to do it on my beach cruiser bike and I would need to get a bike rack for my car. Not huge obstacles.....but have to figure out if it would work with my DH work schedule etc.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am getting excited for the 5K!

2008-06-09 8:52 AM

Master

How was everyone's weekend? 

I got my first flat on Saturday....and because I haven't learned how to change one yet, I had to take the bike to my LBS.  I was running short on time becasue we had a wedding to attend....so I didn't get a ride in like I wanted. 

Sunday...spent a few hours at the beach with the boyfriend.  It felt good to relax and enjoy the weather.

Not much training this weekend....but it was a good one none-the-less.

2008-06-11 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hi everyone!

Vacation was great- took a break from training, and my body was pretty happy. Still got in one short run while I was gone, and did a 3 mile sea kayak across the harbor one evening. Lots of walking and playing with the kids, but not a ton of swimming. The water in New England is pretty cold this time of year, even though we lucked out and were there during the heat wave.

I came home late last night and have spent today cleaning, doing laundry, buying groceries, and am now baking a cake for my husband's birthday....later tonight I take my six-year-old to her dress rehearsal for the big recital. No time for training today, so I guess I start back tomorrow.

2008-06-14 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
hope everyone is training hard this weekend!

finally fixed my chaffing and running shorts issue- got some body glide and lubed up the legs before my run on Thursday. Worked well - will try it tomorrow during my long run and see what happens.

forum has been quiet.....get out there, girls! then get on here and tell us what is up!
2008-06-15 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Ann, I haven't done much since my tri. I've been too busy with end of school banquets and graduation. We had no power after a storm for 6 days and the grad party yesterday. I am exhausted today and still cleaning up. I am thinking of skipping the tri next Sunday and just waiting to do my next one until July. I am going to see how training goes this week and if I regain my sanity.

I am so glad to have power back and hence my computer. It really makes the world of difference to me when I have to be accountable to someone besides myself.
2008-06-15 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
So sorry to hear you got hit by the storms and left without power, Jo. I was just checking on you- you did so well in your first tri and I was excited to see how both you and Kristin would do this weekend.

Our tri season kicks off this upcoming Sunday with Maumee Bay- my husband is still recovering from ITBand issues, so he is doing the sprint Tri. I'm in the peak distance/time training weeks leading up to my tri in July. The main thing that keeps me accountable is my logs on here, too.

Jo, I bet you will surprise yourself this week when you do some training. Mike (husband) took several weeks off from training this past summer between Maumee Bay and the Sylvania tri- in the course of those 8 weeks we had a baby, his youngest sister got married, and his father passed away. He surprised himself and still did fairly well in the tri. I bet your body just used the time to rest and you would still log a good time this weekend.

Of course, I don't know if I would be mentally ready to do it if I had what you had going on. Maybe you just need a break! Anyway, hope you didn't think I was badgering you. Sorry!

2008-06-16 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Ann, the badgering is appreciated. I posted on the Michigan forum also and got some much needed badgering there too. I will probably do it. My neighbor is doing her first tri this year (she did her very first and only tri 2 years ago) and she really wants me to do it with her. I will suck it up and let it be whatever it is going to be. I am trying to think of it as a training experience. Thanks for the encouragement. I know I will need it this week.

I think there is a maumee bay thread on the Michigan forum. You should check it out.
2008-06-16 10:57 AM

User image

Naples, FL
I am back from vacation. We had a great time and I even did an OWS in the ocean. I love swimming and have always felt comfortable in the water, so I thought it was fun! It was a bit wavy and at the end, when I was swimming back in, I started to feel a bit sea-sick...weird!

Still trying to figure out if I can to the Orlando women's tri in Oct. Most of it depends on my hubby's work schedule and care for 3yo DD. I am hoping to reach a decision by the end of next week.

Wow...no power for that long! I would be tired too, but I think doing the tri with your friend and letting it be a training experience is a great idea!
2008-06-17 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Some medical stuff going on here....my new group of doctors are running tests, so the next few weeks could be fun. The good news? No stopping the training. That made me happy. Took yesterday off because I just didn't have time, plus after all the blood they took I wasn't feeling up to it. Short run scheduled for today, and maybe even a road trip this evening to go get my husband's new aerobars put on his bike and I will search the bike store for pink grip tape. I am quite certain that will make me faster on the bike!

Hope everyone is having a good week.
2008-06-18 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
we have our first OWS tomorrow night and it is so cold here! the water is going to be bitterly cold! and no, don't have a wetsuit. guess it could be worse, right?

it's about a mile around the lake, so my hope is to just go around that mile. I am fairly certain I can do it but know I can get out if I have to. any tips? My swim workouts, yardage wise, are usually between 1100 and 1600 yards, with a 600 being the farthest I have swum for a time trial. I know I can always do breaststroke if I get too tired doing free.

2008-06-18 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
I haven't done an OWS without a wetsuit yet. I like the security it offers and it is cold here today. Actually, the water might be warmer than the air. Let us know how it goes. Good luck with the medical stuff also, hope all is okay.

2008-06-20 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
First OWS went well last night. We had two days in a row of temps not getting into the seventies...very chilly for June in Ohio. Anyway, everyone (mainly my husband) was whining about water temps, and it wasn't even cold! Most of us swam it without setsuits; mainly because we don't own them; but several people wore their full tri wetsuits. The water temps were in the low seventies- downright warm compared to the Northern Michigan lake water temps I grew up swiming in.

We had 70 people there; first wave of 14 swimmers were the guys who were going to do two laps. 1 lap was a mile, all the way around the lake. 5th wave was the people who intended to get out halfway, so I went in wave number 4, knowing I was slow and did not want to get in anyone's way.

Things I had issues with- sighting. BIG issue. The president of our club (I am a new member! Woo HOO!) had some tips for me on sighting- she said to look high and showed me some markers around the lake. I also had a little issue with my stroke- tied in with the sighting- I would get in a good rhythm and have to break it and do breast stroke to sight for a bit and get back on course. Next OWS is Tuesday night; looking forward to it!

Oooo- and one of the Team Toledo members asked what races I was doing, and when I told them about East Tawas he told me the team might go do that race! Pretty exciting, especially since East Tawas is kind of far away and out of the way. Hope they do decide to do it. Such a pretty area and I am so excited to race there!
2008-06-22 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hey everyone! How was Big Fish?

Maumee Bay Tri was great. It is an HFP race and was run very well again this year. Some notes if you ever consider doing this tri- it is a very very flat course, no hills, and almost all of it is out in the direct sun. It was cool this morning but that is not normal for Northern Ohio in the end of june- last year it was in the nineties by 9am and that was horrible for the Olympic distance people. Also, the end of the bike into the transition area is a right turning circle and I have seen wayyyy too many people wreck- saw two today, both on very expensive bikes, and both because they had not done that transition before and came into it too fast. Boy were they ticked. I think the fact that it is flat is super nice- and the swim is in an inland lake, which is good, because

It was a first tri for one of our friends- he did well and we are thinking he might be hooked. My husband had a fantastic swim, a very fast bike (so fast I was surprised to see him), and his knee was killing him on the run. He was disappointed but when you are injured, there isn't much you can do. Luckily our friend who raced today happens to be an orthopoedic surgeon who specializes in KNEES!

Watching Mike's sprint got me all excited for my race. Came home and sent the fam off to my in-laws so I could fit in a long run. There was the cutest little boy in the whole world selling brownies and lemonade a quarter mile into my one mile loop, so each time I passed him we chatted and I made him promise to save me a brownie. After my third mile I ran into the house, grabbed four quarters and a refill on my water, and ran the quarter mile to his house and bought my brownie, then walked home as a cool down. The hot weather is here and today I ran the first mile without my water bottle, then ran the rest of the way with one and I think it helped. Of course, NOT running at high noon might help, too.

The good news about today's run was it went soooo much better than last week's run. I had my hydration and nutrition in order after yesterday's long ride. I'm starting to actually look forward to my runs and rides....scary!

Thought about you gals lots this morning and hope that you both had great races. And, for our other gals who weren't racing today, I hope you had a good weekend and some good training. Now I have to go celebrate my baby's first birthday! Presents to wrap! A house to clean! And dinner to cook!
2008-06-22 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Kristen did great today...me, not so much. I did okay in the swim and the bike but on the run, my right calf cramped up and I felt like the muscle was tearing with every step. I went to the sag wagon at mile 1 and turned my chip in then stretched and jogged back to the finish line. I should've finished the extra mile but I just couldn't. I am very sore and very disappointed in myself. I am considering today a good training day, not a bad race day.

I will be finishing a personal triathlon of cabernet, merlot, and shiraz tonight. No more DNF's for this triathlete!!!!
2008-06-22 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
That sounds like a great triathlon! I would be in if I wasn't counting the minutes until all of the children are sleeping....the birthday baby is asleep, so very tired after her big day and all of the excitement that goes with eating cake with your hands.

Jo, kudos for even doing the tri today. I hope your calf muscle is okay.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shepherd's mentor group - Full up! Rss Feed  

of 6