Cherry Creek Sneak
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 27s
Overall Rank = 191/3807
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 20/183
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after barely sleeping and dragged my friends Susan and Chas to race registration at 7:15am (for a 9:15am start). There's no hiding my type A characteristics from them anymore. After getting the race packet, ran back to my office to warm up by the fire....
Event warmup:

Jogged from the office back to the start, and then around the parking lot at Safeway for awhile. Good warmup in really cold weather. Said "hello" to yesterday's ride partner, Tim Brown, who was also gearing up to race.
Run
  • 35m 27s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice to see that I basically negative split this race (by what looks like a couple of seconds).
What would you do differently?:

I think that resting a bit before this race might make me faster, and perhaps some speed work this summer, but really this was pretty good for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Came across the line and ran into Chas (who finished 14th overall!). Waited for Susan, but missed her for some reason. Saw lots of other friends, and just wandered around aimlessly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm 46 years old, for crying out loud! One of the big limiters might be having a heart attack out there if I try to run any faster!

Event comments:

For my first "Sneak," I have to say that it's just a wonderful event. Other than some idiot yelling at his tiny young son to run faster (doing 7 min/miles at age 7 isn't fast enough?), the participants were excited, friendly, and seemingly very proud of their accomplishments at the finish. Warmer temperatures at the start would have been a bonus, but this was a great way to start a Sunday. I had no intention to enter this race, but I'm glad that I did it as a quick little speed check/confidence booster.

Last updated: 2008-04-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:27 | 05 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/183
Overall: 0/3807
Performance: Good
Mile One - 7:11 Mile Two - 6:58 Mile Three - 7:13 Mile Four - 7:10 Mile Five - 6:57
Course: Sort of a wacky-ass run through the streets of Cherry Creek. There were a bunch of turns, with at least one tight hairpin. The good news is that since this race takes place in my neighborhood, I know every inch of hte course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes