United States
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 9s
Overall Rank = 103/240
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 6:00 or so. Ate two servings of oatmeal along with some banannas along the way. Drank about two full bottles of water. i wasn't really sure if I was going to bring my good bike or not since it looked like it would rain at least according to the forecast yesterday. Weather when I got up this morning looked pretty decent actually. Got to the race site, unpacked and setup, got body-marked, etc., to the race meeting and just about ready to get to it.
Event warmup:

I went back and forth in the diving pool for a while to just get a bit of a feel. Chatted with Rob, Dave and Pam including some chats with other racers.
Swim
  • 08m 34s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Tried not to blow up too much at this point. Just tried to get out and set an easy, comfortable pace.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. No real need to spike HR at this point.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No split set for T1 and T2 so as soon as I exit the pool area you are really starting into your bike time. According to my HRM watch I was in T1 for about 3:48.

Not too much. I could save some time I suppose but it took longer to layer on some clothes since it was such a chilly day.
Bike
  • 49m 42s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 16.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I have to say that I am a bit stumped as to my time here. I intentionally went out easy and tried to keep a good pace. Perhaps I went out a bit too slow as I wanted to not hammer at all and make sure that I had enough left for the run. Last year I did this course in I think about 2 minutes less in very windy conditions but when I got off the bike last year my legs were very tired. I did drop my gel bottle at one point and decided to circle back to get it but that certainly didn't cost me two minutes. HR was down compared to last year I would think so I maybe just set to slow of a pace. Going in the first wave made it very lonely out there with nobody to really pace off of. I passed two people right away and then got passed by two later who I didn't want to try to keep with again, to not blow things up.

This might have been too slow of a pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 31m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I did have better legs at the beginning of the run but those hills on the trail run easilly took quite a bit out of them. I kept plugging away though and had a fairly decent run I suppose. I do believe I was moving better than last year. Again, very lonely in the woods along the trail. The whole run I never came across another runner either ahead of me or coming from behind.

My run training could certainly use some more speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished feeling really pretty decent about myself. I probably finished 4th or so out of 18 who started in my wave. After looking at the time and the results I don't feel quite as good but hey, it's late April with lots of the tri season to go yet and really this was a "C" race with no taper at all and not too much expectations. I am also heavier than I was for this race in the fall but I'm working on that to be ready for the summer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Push the pace on the bike a little more with the hope that I can recover decently for the run.

Event comments:

For a little race early in the season and then again late in the season they really do a nice job! I really enjoyed the day and the volunteers were great!

Last updated: 2007-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:34 | 500 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:42 | 13.7 miles | 16.54 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
160 Avg HR
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with a loop at the furthest out point.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:53 | 03.1 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Good
HR avg was 170
Course: Very hilly trail run different from in the fall due to swampy spring conditions.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-27 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Subject: J-Hawk Early Bird Triathlon

2008-04-29 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1365221

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: J-Hawk Early Bird Triathlon
Great job. love the 'easy pace' for swimming.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » J-Hawk Early Bird Triathlon Rss Feed