UltraFit-USA
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 20s
Overall Rank = 4/86
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Got checked in and signed up. There were some issues with my registration, but got everything sorted out and the numbers put where they needed to be. ran into a few people i knew out there, and what would make up 4 of the top 6.
Event warmup:

Got in about 12 min of running, most easy, with some accelerations in the last few minutes.
Run
  • 13m 16s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

For not running much, this was again a decent run. i wanted to take the first run fairly easy and not push it too much.
What would you do differently?:

run more, maybe put a little more into the first run.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 37m 19s
  • 15 miles
  • 24.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt hard, but i was deff not in the gears i could have been for this type of course. Going out the night before for my birthday deff did not help, but hey, it only happens once a year:)

What would you do differently?:

be prepared!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 19m 45s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

i think i am finally getting the hang of triathlon runs!
Post race
Warm down:

Went for an easy 20 min cool down run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hangover.

Event comments:

Well run and fun race. It was a great workout, but right now i cannot compete with the top guys in duathlon. i need the swim to put some distance on people!

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:16 | 02 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 7/86
Performance: Average
The first run time included the transition as well.
Course: Flat and fast course on the park roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:37:19 | 15 miles | 24.12 mile/hr
Overall: 3/86
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Flat and fast course, we had a head/cross wind in one direction and a tail/cross in teh other.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:45 | 03.17 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 6/86
Performance: Good
Course: another run through the park roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 2:05 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Delaware Duathlon

2008-04-28 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1365582

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: Delaware Duathlon

Real nice job David.  I tried to adjust all my times since the T1 time is in the first run and the T2 time is in the bike.

You guys are fast!  I was really disapointed in my bike split.  I am not in the ballpark with you guys yet.  Wasn't bad for my first outdoor ride since Oct 2007 though.

I also figured out why I thought your friend was my age.  It did not dawn on my until after the race that I recognized him as the guy that racked his bike next to me in the 40-44 year olds rack.  I presume it was done to get a nice isle spot next to the transition exit.  Do you know about that? Honestly it seems like cheating but maybe I am mistaken on the facts as well as the intent.

2008-04-28 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1366074

User image

Champion
you had a great race too, nothing to be disapointed with.

i dont have a lot going on outside of school right now and am training around 20 hours a week, so it adds up.

As far as where steven racked his bike; in larger races they are strict about the rack space, but that rack was fairly empty, so it is not an issue. everyone runs the same distance through transition (whether it is in the first to their bike, or the 2nd with it), but in most races (watch HFP), the elite rack (which we both normally race instead of age group) is at the front. had their been more people there they would have asked him to move.

again great job!
2008-04-28 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1366589

User image

Expert

newbz - 2008-04-28 12:50 PM you had a great race too, nothing to be disapointed with. i dont have a lot going on outside of school right now and am training around 20 hours a week, so it adds up. As far as where steven racked his bike; in larger races they are strict about the rack space, but that rack was fairly empty, so it is not an issue. everyone runs the same distance through transition (whether it is in the first to their bike, or the 2nd with it), but in most races (watch HFP), the elite rack (which we both normally race instead of age group) is at the front. had their been more people there they would have asked him to move. again great job!

So UltaFit knew he racked at another age group and was OK with it?  (by the way, I am not that upset about it rather I am trying to figure out what are rules and what are not).  It is not actually true about your comment on running the same in the transition area regardless of where one racks.  It is true that each rack is equal to another, but the proximity to the isle dictates wether or not one has to move further down a rack and both cover more distance and possibly get caught up in conjestion.  I thought (correct me if I am wrong), that the preferred postion was the first bike nearest the main runway (isle).  I presumed (correct me again if I am wrong) that your friend racked on my rack in order to get just such prime location since those positions were no longer available on his own rack.  If that is all true, then didn't he put me at the same disadvantage that he was trying to avoid himself, and isn't that cheating if their is a USAT rule against it which I thought there was.  BUT, you can correct me at any of my misguided arguements (such as UltraFit knowing what he did and OK'ing it because it is within the rules).

Some background:  I've already posted a thread on BT to discuss rules and rule violations.  In my first event I saw numerous violations and sharred my opinion that I'd prefer strick enforcement of the rules.  In my first event somebody actaully moved my back down the rack and put their bike first even though mine was already their.  So, now I have completed three events and once my bike was moved and once my prime spot was taken by somebody from another age group that I presume was unhappy with the only spots left on their own rack.

Edited by DieuEtMonDroit 2008-04-28 1:58 PM
2008-04-28 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1367071

User image

Champion
i am assuming they did know. they all know him. he was there before anyone else showed up (i was there when they opened and he was walking in then as well).
i would havebeen in his rack and there were maybe one other person there.

As far as i know there is no USAT rule about racking space, but rather thats up to the race company. if they wanted him moved or saw it as an issue, i am sure they would have said something.
2008-04-28 3:08 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks. 

By the way, when you were riding, you must have been seeing 21-23MPH into the wind and 24-27MPH with the wind.  I that close to accurate?  I really thought I was faster on the bike than it turned out.

2008-04-28 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1367347

User image

Champion
that sounds like it should be right. i dont ride/run with a computer or watch though so i could not say for sure.
2008-04-28 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Wow great race report, very discriptive... sike!!! Good job though, I miss you
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Delaware Duathlon Rss Feed