United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 59s
Overall Rank = 1506/2923
Age Group = 50-55 F
Age Group Rank = 19/96
Pre-race routine:

I got up very early (4:30am) to get ready. It was raining when I took the dogs out. Ate a banana and mini whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and coffee. Drove to Fred's house to pick him up. Arrived at 6am (a little early). Pinned on my number and attached my chip. Decided to wear my long sleeved shirt due to the cool temps and breeze.
Event warmup:

We sat in the car for a little while since we were so early. Then we went to the gym to wait with the crowd. Bathroom lines were very long, but I went twice. I was glad later. When we went outside I lined up near the 2hr pace group. Some guy stood next to me with a bib on that had the name "Margaret". I asked him if he just picked it up off the street and decided to run a 1/2 marathon. He laughed but said he was running for "Margaret" who was very sick.
Run
  • 1h 58m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Fabulous run!!! This is a new PR for me. In addition, I had set a goal to run a 1/2 marathon this year in less than 2 hrs. I did it! It's only April and my first 1/2 marathon of the year!
I stuck with the 2 hour pace group for the majority of the race. I fell behind during the 11th mile in the last portion of the park. I could see the pace leader the entire time and thought my pace was on target to come in under 2 hr. When I got to the hill at the stadium, the pace leader was at the top and told me I was definitly under 2 hours. She was pushing the last few people along! So, I went over the finish line before she did!
This is truly my FAVORITE race. I loved it last year, too. It is a perfect time of year for a 1/2 marathon due to the weather and the beauty of the trees and flowers in bloom.
What would you do differently?:

NOTHING!!
Post race
Warm down:

celebrate!!!...drink water, endurox, fig newtons

What limited your ability to perform faster:

narrow paths in the park

Event comments:

YIPPEE!....NEW PR...1:58:59

Last updated: 2008-03-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:59 | 13.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/96
Overall: 1506/2923
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful course through some parks in Allentown. Who would guess there is such a beautiful area in Allentown?! The race starts downhill and goes down a highway near the waterworks and then returns the same way. Then it enters a park. The park has a trail with stones and dirt.....this is my kind of trail run! The path narrows in the park, which definitely slows the group down. Some rolling hills, which I forgot from last year. There were enough hills to make it worth mentioning. Now I will remember next year! On the last hill in the park, I cursed out loud. I thought it was quiet, but a girl passing me laughed. I guess my music was louder than I thought, so my statement was louder than I thought! She said she was thinking it herself! We also passed through a covered bridge in the park. When we came out of the park, we went back on the road and headed toward the stadium for the end. Of course, there is a hill entering into the stadium!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes