Set-up Inc.
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 33s
Overall Rank = 351/375
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 37/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, on the road by 5. Slimfast shake on the road early and a Cliffbar closer to White Lake. Setting up transition wasn't really a problem and I didn't miss anything. Wetsuit went on a bit easier and quicker.
Event warmup:

Maybe 5 minutes swimming around behind the starting line.
Swim
  • 29m 23s
  • 820 yards
  • 03m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sighting was way off. I think I read on here that blue googles were not good for seeing the orange bouys, that and my goggles being foggy was tough. I'm also color blind, so maybe it's just me. I kept having to stop and tread water and search for the buoys, usually lifting my goggles. My new wetsuit is not as buoyant as some, treading water with just my legs was tiring. The wetsuit is a little tight on my neck when I try to look up. Even when I was swimming straight I was surprised by how little progress I seemed to be making. I was really surprised by how big the buoy was up close.

I never felt in any danger, I rolled on my back a couple of times to rest, but I was more worried about the volunteers thinking I needed to be rescued than actually needing help.
What would you do differently?:

Just follow the pack and hope they are going the right way. Get clear or grey goggles. Learn to swim.
Transition 1
  • 06m 2s
Comments:

No split available, so I'm going with my watch.

The legs of the wesuit held a bit of water, it was weird to run in and looked like my water broke taking it off. I saw a guy take his all the way off at the pier, given the water weight, I'll consider that in the future.

The swim must have taken a lot out of me because I almost passed out in transition.

Nothing really, I needed the rest or I might have fallen on the bike.
Bike
  • 51m 41s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Rough ride. I did manage a negative split. Took it easy because I was having stomach cramping issues. My stomach was fine earlier. After one serious bump around mile 5 or 6 I thought I blew a tire or had something mechanical break, so I took it even easier testing it out. Someone getting into their shoes, wobbling all over the place, on the bike almost took me out I as I started my second lap.

Second lap was much better other than the cramping, oh and the crash. The dismount line was right around the last turn. I was on the left pedal, riding on the left sight like I normally dismount, as I hit the breaks and reached my right foot for the ground my momentem did funny things and down I went. Somehow I got free of the left pedal and jumped clear and unscathed.

Not be cramping. Push harder, need to work on leg strength.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I was thinking about making a pit stop, but I would have had to duck under the rope marking the course. Had it been before the timing mat I might have stopped to have a shot at my run goal.
Run
  • 28m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

1st mile 7:13! Then 6:20 more to the half way point! Something's not right. I did manage my goal pace for the 1st half. I thought I was in trouble early because I got passed by some great pace booty, but could find the motivation to keep up. I did catch and pass one of the group before the first mile.

By the end I was only still running so I could find a restroom sooner. I was just miserable and I'll never know what would have happened if I had run faster. I'm happy I didn't walk and there was no humiliating disaster.

Not drink so much lake water during the swim? Eat a better breakfast? I'm not sure of the cause, so I don't know how to fix it.
Post race
Warm down:

I did stop to hug and kiss my wife and baby first....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim sighting and speed, bike confidence, and my stomach.

Last updated: 2008-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:23 | 820 yards | 03m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/38
Overall: 365/375
Performance: Bad
Avg HR 125
Suit: Fit2Race Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 06:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:41 | 14 miles | 16.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/38
Overall: 351/375
Performance: Below average
Lap 1 26:08 132 Lap 2 25:49 128 No split here either, so I subtracted all my other times from the race time. I used some spreadsheet gymnastics to estimate my rank. For those missing the same two splits, I used the same method of backing into the bike time assuming they averaged 2:47 in T1 (the average for all other men). If no splits were available, I assumed if they beat me overall they beat me on the bike (all three did).
Wind: Little
Course: Spots were really rough and traffic was heavy in places.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:09 | 03.11 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/38
Overall: 267/375
Performance: Average
Avg HR 157 1st half 13:30 155 2nd half 14:39 158
Course: Out and back. Flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-06 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: White Lake Sprint Triathlon

2008-05-06 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1385281

User image

Veteran
HTFU, Virginia
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint Triathlon
Good on ya mate! Glad to hear you made it through all of it after all that! Will you join me for next years as well?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed