HFP Racing
47F / 8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 02m 20s
Overall Rank = 22/147
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

I had a really stressed Saturday. I drank 6 ounces of Vodka to get to sleep at 11:30PM and was up again by 4:15AM. Drinking before the race to fall asleep is pretty standard for me. It beats no sleep or a sleeping pill.

I ate a power bar at 5:45AM loaded the car and left the house with the family. I downed one of those high calorie goop things 20 minutes before the race.
Event warmup:

I ran for 5 minutes. I was going to do much more but the rain was POORING. Huge rain.
Run
  • 15m 42s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm a bit disappointed in the 2 mile run times. I think maybe the course was longer than that. It did include a lot of hill running, so that would have slowed me down. There was also the heavy rain, cold, and mud and mud puddles to run through. Anyway I know the run was stronger for me than normal and I felt my run pace was 7:20-7:35.

I also pushed the first run a bit more than in any of my previous 3 duathlons.
What would you do differently?:

I ran in my sweats because it was so rainy and cold I did not feel like taking them off. I ended up very quickly carring a lot of dead weight because they were soaked even as the race began. I shead the extra clothes in T1 (added a bit more time). Differently: I would choose not to run in those extra clothes.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I am really really really angry about how bad I screwed up the bike mount. I honestly spent at least 40 second getting clipped in on their up hill bike mount zone. I wasted about 25 seconds trying to get clipped in three times, then ran to the top of the hill with my bike and took FOUR fricken times to get my left shoe clipped in. But the results are fair in showing I was not that fast since I can't clip in worth a crap.

I can calculate that I lost 45 seconds. That is about how far ahead I was of the dude that finished just behind me after T1. I finished the first run and T1 37 seconds ahead of him, but by the time I started riding, he was 100 yards ahead of me. We would finish the ride together and I beat him out of T2 and the final run. His bike time was 48 seconds faster than mine but I rode the course at his rate.

Can't wait until my next race so I can do a bike without loosing that time.

Run in socks to the top of the hill then mount and clip in correctly.
Bike
  • 28m 51s
  • 11 miles
  • 22.88 mile/hr
Comments:

My T1 exit screw up took a big bite out of my bike time and overall results. On a good note, in two weeks I get to erase these results and put up another time on a flat course. I can't help but restating the race presuming I mount the bike correctly. It would be:

1:01:35, 20th place overall, 1st in age group, 23.5MPH on the bike in a wet rolling hill course. I race again in two weeks, and I will not screw things up, and I will post a bike time over 23.5MPH.

I rode well. Dry conditions would have allowed me to corner quickly which I think I do better at then most due to my ex-criterium days.

Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

I took of my cycling shoes at the top of the steep hill I screwed up before the bike. I was able to run down the hill fast because of this (though this is all still part of the bike time).

Other dudes are still a lot faster, but this was my fastest transition to date.
Run
  • 15m 40s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm a bit disappointed in the 2mile run times. I think the course was longer than that. It did include a lot of hill running, so that would have slowed me down. There was also the heavy rain, cold, and mud and mud puddles to run through. Anyway I know the run was stronger for me than normal and I felt my run pace was 7:20-7:35.

Beat my first run by 2 seconds.

I did well for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran to the car with stuff. Ran back to the bike. Ran to the car with the bike, was out of there in 5 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain, the cold, and the bike mount fiasco. At least all the competitors had to deal with the rain and cold.

Event comments:

HFP really needs to spend time ahead of the race going over rules like UltraFit did. I suggest they skip the prayer and bible quotes and provide rules and reminders instead. Way too many slow cyclists were riding all over the road. But hey, HFP gave the a chance to pray so that's good! As I rode by the worst offenders I would say (without a rude tone), "stay to the right". On guy responded "fu** you". So again, a USAT official talking about drafting, safety, rules, and staying to the right I think would be more useful than a pre-race prayer where one of the HFP dudes opened, then the participants were encouraged to pray, and the HFP owner then closed. I am serious here, a guy warms up and then his warm-up can get ruined because the promoters invite almost 200 participants to pray??? Offer a prayer group 20 minutes before the race off to the side!!

Last updated: 2008-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:42 | 02 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 60/147
Performance: Good
Course: First 3/4 miles up hill. A few very steep short hills. Some mud and gravel running. A lot of 2-6 inch water to run through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:23
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
00:28:51 | 11 miles | 22.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 15/147
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rolling hills, windy, rainy, gusty, wet.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:40 | 02 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 37/147
Course: First 3/4 miles up hill. A few very steep short hills. Some mud and gravel running. A lot of 2-6 inch water to run through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-12 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: Olentangy Duathlon

2008-05-12 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1396268

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio
Subject: RE: Olentangy Duathlon
Well at least you were not too hot    You did well considering the conditions. Alot of people would just blow it off because of the weather. I never will understand having trans. leave out UP a hill and I hate thoses 'cause I still sometimes need time to get clipped in myself  (hop,hop,hop) and feel like I'm in everyones way.  Didn't you just get this bike setup?? I'm sure that you will overcome the clipping in issue with time. Good work and nice run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Olentangy Duathlon Rss Feed