General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Children Orphanage Benefit Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

City of Children Orphanage Benefit Run - Run30k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Warda, Texas
United States
Hill Country Trail Runners
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 40s
Overall Rank = 4/10
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am to get ready. Had a cup of oatmeal and coffee and water for hydration. Finally left the house at 5:30am and arrived at the race at 6:45am.
Event warmup:

Took a couple of minutes to get ready. The race started promptly at 7am.
Run
  • 2h 59m 40s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

1st loop - Started off well until we ran off course. I was just blindly following. Luckily we didn't go more than 50ft before the leader realized it. I noticed about the same time. We turned around and all of the sudden i'm in the lead so I just got to pace and ran. The guy who won the overall ran me down by the 2.5 mile mark. He was running much faster than i was so i didn't even bother trying to stay with him. I was around an 8min pace and decided that was too fast. Pretty sure the first loop took 55min to finish. I was a little slow at the end of the first loop, 2nd aid station.

2nd loop - Started out okay but I was still feeling too fast. I think i realized at this point that my HR was staying too high and i wasn't relaxing the way i wanted to. Took a walking break in here and let someone catch me, then ran him down and stayed on his six for the majority of the lap. I should've just stayed on him, cause he passed me at the 4th aid station, I took too long talking to Damon. 4th place caught up here also.

3rd loop - Had to run down the two folks who caught me at the aid station. I let them get about two minutes ahead of me and it took me a couple of miles to catch them. Surprisingly enough I had good speed here and I was relaxed. When I caught the first one i started to feel spasing in my right calve. I passed him and told him i expected him to catch and pass me before the end since i was starting to cramp. Caught the other girl by the 5th aid station, but once again took too long eating and talking. They both passed me and this time got too far ahead and i couldn't sustain my previous pacing. My right calve had had enough. I ended up hobbling the remaining 3miles as best i could, and no one else caught me. Lesson learned.
What would you do differently?:

Not talk so much at the aid stations.
Post race
Warm down:

Just tried to stretch out the calves. Played with Isaac a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right calve cramping. Don't think it was hydration related since i had water at each aid station and i had 4 gels over the three hours, starting about half an hour into the first lap. My calve kind of feels like it did when i went to the run doc and they applied electro therapy to both my calves. Scar tissue build-up?

Event comments:

This was a small race that probably didn't have support from some of the trail running org's in the area. It was on the same date as Jemez Mtn race in NM.

Last updated: 2008-04-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:59:40 | 18.64 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/10
Performance: Good
Lap 1- 57:40 L2 - 59:45 L3 - 1:02:18
Course: Three loop course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-18 1:21 PM

User image

Austin, Tx.
Subject: City of Children Orphanage Benefit Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Children Orphanage Benefit Run Rss Feed